Winter Running - Etiquette, Advice & Recommendations.

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
A recent conversation with some folks from my running club made me think it would be good to start a thread about winter running. Here are some thoughts to get thing started.

Visibility: Always wear reflective clothing when running at night. I know black looks cool but I'd rather look like a radio-active lemon than get hit by a car or scare the life out of an innocent pedestrian.

Headphones and Music: I know people are going to hate this but they just aren't safe - when its dark you will often hear danger before you see it - including the 'call outs' I'll mention in a minute. If you must have music on, try using one ear only or getting some of those fancy new things which play through your jaw bone rather than blocking your ears.

Call Outs: As there is no universal rule about which side of the pavement to run on, call out "keep left/right" when you see someone coming - this is really useful if you are in a group as everyone goes to the same side.

"Look ahead" is also useful - especially handy if you are on unpaved road heading towards a cyclist (they often have their heads down and glance up - and don't expect to see runners coming straight at them!

When overtaking someone, call out "On your left/Right" so they know which side you will pass on and will not accidentally trip you up.

Say "Hi" (or another greeting of your choice) when passing people - runners - especially groups of runners - can be intimidating and it makes us all look good when we show ourselves as the friendly bunch we really are.

Clothing and layers: One of the biggest problems is that you need to be warm when you start out but when you get moving you tend to over heat - I tend to go for running tights in winter and depending on how cold it is either a T shirt and running sleeves (which you can roll up and shove under your belt) or a base later and T shirt which you keep on for the whole run. When it gets really cold its worth having a short loop (1-2 miles) to get warm then ditching a layer for the rest of your run. Oh, and gloves - get light weight running gloves or mitts - my fingers are the one thing which don't get warm as I get moving.

Replies

• pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    some flashing LED bands are also useful even if the weather is just murky rather than dark. I nearly ran my neighbour over the other night. he was running in complete darkness, on the road, wearing all black. no reflective clothing or lights and I didn't see him until I was nearly over him!!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Some of my more fervent runner friends will probably disagree with me but I implore winter runners to take a break in the middle of or immediately after heavy snowfalls. When the sidewalks and recreation paths aren't yet plowed, when the road is half its width because of fresh snow banks, when the plows still need to come by and don't know what to do as they approach you (and you have no escape because of the existing snow banks), maybe its better to just wait a few hours or run inside. I know, I know. Suggesting a treadmill to many runners is like staking them through the heart, but please, don't expect to "share the road" with snow plows.
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    LOL - Great advice if you live in the USA - In the UK I don't think I've ever seen a snow plow - or a large snow back come to think of it. Running XC in fresh snow is one of the loveliest things I've ever done but I agree its a good idea to stay out of the roads...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I look like Christmas tree running in the winter. If 's dark (or getting darker) I also have my Petzl LED headlamp and a flashing red LED on the back of the head strap and motorists still are oblivious......

The same advice applies to cyclists, it amazes me when I see people riding after dark with no lights and dressed in dark clothing. I'm not sure if they're suicidal or just stupid......
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    mikeyrp wrote: »
    Visibility: Always wear reflective clothing when running at night. I know black looks cool but I'd rather look like a radio-active lemon than get hit by a car or scare the life out of an innocent pedestrian. I see runners almost every morning in my neighborhood running without ANY reflective gear. It makes me CRAZY!

Headphones and Music: I know people are going to hate this but they just aren't safe - when its dark you will often hear danger before you see it - including the 'call outs' I'll mention in a minute. If you must have music on, try using one ear only or getting some of those fancy new things which play through your jaw bone rather than blocking your ears.Another huge pet peeve of mine - NEVER run outside with headphones. Cars and weirdos cannot always be heard when you have music blaring in your ears.

Call Outs: As there is no universal rule about which side of the pavement to run on, call out "keep left/right" when you see someone coming - this is really useful if you are in a group as everyone goes to the same side. Actually, in the US runners are to run AGAINST the flow of traffic, not with it.

"Look ahead" is also useful - especially handy if you are on unpaved road heading towards a cyclist (they often have their heads down and glance up - and don't expect to see runners coming straight at them!

When overtaking someone, call out "On your left/Right" so they know which side you will pass on and will not accidentally trip you up.

Say "Hi" (or another greeting of your choice) when passing people - runners - especially groups of runners - can be intimidating and it makes us all look good when we show ourselves as the friendly bunch we really are.

Clothing and layers: One of the biggest problems is that you need to be warm when you start out but when you get moving you tend to over heat - I tend to go for running tights in winter and depending on how cold it is either a T shirt and running sleeves (which you can roll up and shove under your belt) or a base later and T shirt which you keep on for the whole run. When it gets really cold its worth having a short loop (1-2 miles) to get warm then ditching a layer for the rest of your run. Oh, and gloves - get light weight running gloves or mitts - my fingers are the one thing which don't get warm as I get moving.
    Agreed! Dress as though it is 20 degrees warmer than it is and wear technical gear. Cotton doesn't wick moisture and will cause you to get a nasty chill (not to mention chafing!) once you start sweating.

• mikeyrp
    Options
    "Actually, in the US runners are to run AGAINST the flow of traffic, not with it."

That's the same in the UK when you run on a road, but when you are on the pavement (sidewalk) there are no rules about whether to go left or right
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The same advice applies to cyclists, it amazes me when I see people riding after dark with no lights and dressed in dark clothing. I'm not sure if they're suicidal or just stupid......

Largely lighting up on a bike is pointless as the cage dwellers still don't/ won't see you :)
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I want to run my first half marathon in April so I was actually looking up a lot about winter running, thanks for the tips!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    mikeyrp wrote: »
    "Actually, in the US runners are to run AGAINST the flow of traffic, not with it."

That's the same in the UK when you run on a road, but when you are on the pavement (sidewalk) there are no rules about whether to go left or right

I have always run on the right side of a path/sidewalk because that's the same side we drive on in the US. Every so often I will encounter someone who is doing it "wrong" and need to remind myself that not EVERYONE is from here. B)

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that there are headphones not designed to block outside sound, and you CAN keep the sound low enough to hear others. That's what I use and do. When I have mine on and playing, I can still hear other runners' footsteps at a good distance - unless they're running barefoot. I can hear a normal speaking voice, and can obviously hear a call-out.

Unfortunately, some bicycles are so quiet (especially if the rider is coasting) that I can't hear them coming up behind me whether I have headphones on or not.

Oh, and for me, the parts I can't keep comfortable are my forearms. Arm warmers help, but they're not enough if it's windy. Then I need a windbreaker, too.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've read a couple "running in the cold/dark" threads today, and I'm feeling very grateful that I have well lit sidewalks throughout my town and headphones that are not designed to block outside sound.