• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't run in the dark, either. There are no lights in my neighborhood and, while I'm not worried about people being a problem for me out here, there are occasionally loose dogs, coyotes and javelina to contend with. Thankfully, the rattlesnakes are hibernating by now except when it warms up to the 80s like it did this weekend. I also have to worry about rocks and debris on the road because all of our front yard landscaping is gravel and round rocks with a few trees and small plants.

I'm lucky in that my work schedule can be flexible. I go into work early and get home by 4:00 so I can get in my 6-7 miles before it gets too dark to see (the sun sets around 5:20 right now).

If you can't adjust your schedule, you might adjust the treadmill. I've heard that they can cause shin splints if they aren't set to an incline. Do you set yours to one? An incline of about 1% is always best to simulate the road, anyway.

Another option would be a local park, if you have one. There's a good one in the middle of Tucson with a 3 mile path. I've gone directly after work to there because, while it's not on my commute home, it is closer than home and I can get there in less time so there's more light left by the time I leave the office. It is actually lit, too, but I'm just looking to get the run done soon enough so that I can get home and make dinner.

ETA: I started typing this when there were no other responses and just now was able to get back to it so ignore any duplication of questions, etc.
  • post191rickdye
    post191rickdye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to run at lunchtime and even have access to a shower but it is pretty nasty and I lack motivation to totally get back into work attire after running. For the last two years I have found a middle ground. I bring my workout clothes with me and on a running day I break from work a little early and change into my running gear in my office. It is still light enough to run around work and I can cool down / towel off back in my office. A quick change into sweats and some deodorant and I'm OK for a ride home! I generally start work early enough that I'm making up for the early stop time plus many offices are starting to really want their employees to be healthier... The reduction in health insurance rates has started to show up on their bottom line.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'll run in the dark around a lit track, still a little nerve wracking at times but it's the safest thing for me to do, or i run on my lunch break.

it's hard to squeeze it in, but you do what you have to do.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well if you don't want to run outside in the dark and you can only run at night... You will have a problem. There is no miracle solution to create daylight at night....

So you either get a headlamp and reflective clothing and run outside or run on a treadmill.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Very helpful! :wink:

I run on a college campus at night. There are great hills, additional lighting and plenty of cleared sidewalks. I can park at the gym and stay for an hour.

There's also the historic district on the waterfront. Not a lot of traffic and extra street lamps. Look around, you'll find someplace. =)
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Running in the snow is a fast way to the ER.

Source: Live in Michigan. Sprained wrist and ankle slipping on ice two years ago trying to run. Never again :( Gym membership has paid for itself in lack of medical bills the past two years.

I run outdoors all year 'round, and running in the snow can be safe, enjoyable and rewarding when done properly (I won't run in freezing rain, I know the difference between crazy and stupid :D )

"Enjoyable" and "Rewarding" are not typically words I associate with snow and ice. You guys are all crazy lol. There are $10 gyms out there for people who just want basic cardio equipment. 100% worth it, at least for places in the north with a lot of snow. Again, just my opinion, but a lot safer and less tedious than trying to run with frozen obstacles and low light. I live out in the boonies and there are no streetlights, the plows only come when we get over 6" of snow, and there isn't a sidewalk or paved road for several miles. Just not worth it.

You have been running in the snow for years and never hurt yourself.....until you do and feel like an idiot. Just saying. Be safe everybody.
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I do longer runs in winter... get the miles done in the light on weekends because I know I won't be motivated to go more frequently during the weekday evenings..!

I know this isn't ideal if you want to practise a variety of distances, but I've only been running for a year so I figure it's best to maintain fitness levels, even if it's just one run a week... and then really hit it in spring on the shorter but faster distances!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    Although once you've managed to get out, runs in the dark in the evenings can be really fun and the cold is refreshing!
    I'm a 23 y.o woman and I run around the uni campus in the dark. Seem to be a lot of young people walking around and it's well-lit so I don't feel vulnerable or lonely.
    Oh and in the dark I just play out my music from my phone as I'm running rather than using headphones so I can hear anyone approaching...
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

Source: Live in Michigan. Sprained wrist and ankle slipping on ice two years ago trying to run. Never again :( Gym membership has paid for itself in lack of medical bills the past two years.

I run outdoors all year 'round, and running in the snow can be safe, enjoyable and rewarding when done properly (I won't run in freezing rain, I know the difference between crazy and stupid :D )

"Enjoyable" and "Rewarding" are not typically words I associate with snow and ice. You guys are all crazy lol. There are $10 gyms out there for people who just want basic cardio equipment. 100% worth it, at least for places in the north with a lot of snow. Again, just my opinion, but a lot safer and less tedious than trying to run with frozen obstacles and low light. I live out in the boonies and there are no streetlights, the plows only come when we get over 6" of snow, and there isn't a sidewalk or paved road for several miles. Just not worth it.

You have been running in the snow for years and never hurt yourself.....until you do and feel like an idiot. Just saying. Be safe everybody.

Running isn't gym cardio. It's running.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

"Enjoyable" and "Rewarding" are not typically words I associate with snow and ice. You guys are all crazy lol.

Then you have the wrong winter hobbies :stuck_out_tongue: Besides running, there's ice skating, cross-country (and downhill, if you're not accident prone) skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing....heck...they even have "fat bikes" now, if you want to keep riding your bike outside in the snow! :smiley:

And I live in the snowbelt - were we snowmobile gets an average of 200" a year...and a town just 50 miles north of us gets an average of 400" a year. :)
  • maria0elisa
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Also in winter I do kind of a 60-min aerobic session in my house which involves very loud music and lots of running on the spot, leg lifts... just keeping moving for 60 min... I know it's a poor replacement for a run but if you get desperate..!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    Re the snow comments- snow is fine but how does everyone cope with ice or black ice in winter? I had a head injury a year ago so probably have an irrational fear or slipping and hurting my head again.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Usually it's almost an hour ahead of the sun's actual appearance that the darkness is broken- not sure how long you need to be running for- but there is plenty of time pre- actual sun rise.

I'd give it a shot- there is significantly more light than you think.

I'll admit to being a dork, but I actually know some of these definitions because I've got in arguments with local Park Boards and Law Enforcement over when I could and could not be in my favorite park to trail run (Posted Hours "Dawn till Dusk"):

We’re all familiar with the term twilight, that period of time just before sunrise or just after sunset. Did you know that there are actually three different twilight definitions?
    •Civil Twilight: the time at which the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon. At this time, there is enough light for objects to be clearly distinguishable and that outdoor activities can commence (dawn) or end (dusk) without artificial illumination. Civil twilight is the definition of twilight most widely used by the general public.

•Nautical Twilight: the time when the center of the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon, and only general or vague outlines of objects are visible. During the evening this is when it becomes too difficult to perceive the horizon, and in the morning this is the point when the horizon becomes distinguishable. This term goes back to the days when sailing ships navigated by using the stars.

•Astronomical Twilight: the time at which the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon. It is that point in time at which the sun starts lightening the sky. Prior to this time during the morning, the sky is completely dark. During the evening, this is the point where the sky completely turns dark.
    So you can see the sequence, here are the times for these twilights at Louisville on January 8, 2006:

Start of Morning Astronomical Twilight: 6:26 AM EST
    Start of Morning Nautical Twilight: 6:58 AM EST
    Start of Morning Civil Twilight: 7:31 AM EST
    Sunrise: 8:00 AM EST

Sunset: 5:40 PM EST
    End of Evening Civil Twilight: 6:09 PM EST
    End of Evening Nautical Twilight: 6:42 PM EST
    End of Evening Astronomical Twilight: 7:14 PM EST

These data were provided from the U.S. Naval Observatory. You can get twilight information for other locations at their website.

taken from:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/?n=twilight-types
  • ehuschka
    ehuschka Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    Running in the morning would be perfect, but right now it's not light out here early enough. I just checked and the sun rose at 7:24 this morning. I could possibly take my dog with me but she is a bit of a sniffer. She will run like the wind, but gets easily distracted. Maybe I'll try it. She is a boxer and would be decent protection, or at least a deterent.

The $400 for the gym for the year wouldn't be awful other than I would only use the indoor track for maybe 4-5 months a year. It just seems like a lot if you think of $100 or so a month for the time I would be using it.

I run with my dogs, and they are both sniffers. The way I get around it is by walking them for a good 10 minutes (let them get everything out of their system), and then jog at a slower pace until they are ready to focus. Running with my dogs makes me feel a lot safer. I've had people cross the street away from me, and I only have a knee height border collie mix.

Oh, and try to get a light up leash for night runs especially since they may do sudden stops. I purchased a cheap one from Petsmart that was Halloween themed...
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    amy0louise wrote: »
    Re the snow comments- snow is fine but how does everyone cope with ice or black ice in winter? I had a head injury a year ago so probably have an irrational fear or slipping and hurting my head again.

If it is an actual ice storm, I reschedule my run. If I'm at home and the roads are clear from snow, but slick, then I still go out, but my pace is a LOT slower than normal, because I am very careful of my footing. If the roads have snow/slush, then I run, but my pace is determined by how slick it is. At camp with the hardpack (snow that has been compressed into 2-3 inches of ice) on the campground roads, I use my yaktrax, and for the most part can run either at or just slightly under my normal pace. :)

But really....we're dealing with actual snow 95% of the time here....we're usually too cold for ice/black ice from mid-Dec to early March (our potentially icy times are usually Nov and end of march).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    amy0louise wrote: »

Stick to snow or dry roads. Snow can actually aid traction, especially if you've got decent shoes.

Also, shorten your stride to keep your weight more over your feet (i.e. keep your feet under you) and you'll be less apt to slip.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    There are $10 gyms out there for people who just want basic cardio equipment.

And yet, dull as f**k...

I train as much for my state of mind, and training in a gym would make me more irritated, not less :)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Usually it's almost an hour ahead of the sun's actual appearance that the darkness is broken- not sure how long you need to be running for- but there is plenty of time pre- actual sun rise.

I'd give it a shot- there is significantly more light than you think.

I'll admit to being a dork, but I actually know some of these definitions because I've got in arguments with local Park Boards and Law Enforcement over when I could and could not be in my favorite park to trail run (Posted Hours "Dawn till Dusk"):

We’re all familiar with the term twilight, that period of time just before sunrise or just after sunset. Did you know that there are actually three different twilight definitions?
    •Civil Twilight: the time at which the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon. At this time, there is enough light for objects to be clearly distinguishable and that outdoor activities can commence (dawn) or end (dusk) without artificial illumination. Civil twilight is the definition of twilight most widely used by the general public.

•Nautical Twilight: the time when the center of the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon, and only general or vague outlines of objects are visible. During the evening this is when it becomes too difficult to perceive the horizon, and in the morning this is the point when the horizon becomes distinguishable. This term goes back to the days when sailing ships navigated by using the stars.

•Astronomical Twilight: the time at which the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon. It is that point in time at which the sun starts lightening the sky. Prior to this time during the morning, the sky is completely dark. During the evening, this is the point where the sky completely turns dark.
    So you can see the sequence, here are the times for these twilights at Louisville on January 8, 2006:

Start of Morning Astronomical Twilight: 6:26 AM EST
    Start of Morning Nautical Twilight: 6:58 AM EST
    Start of Morning Civil Twilight: 7:31 AM EST
    Sunrise: 8:00 AM EST

Sunset: 5:40 PM EST
    End of Evening Civil Twilight: 6:09 PM EST
    End of Evening Nautical Twilight: 6:42 PM EST
    End of Evening Astronomical Twilight: 7:14 PM EST

These data were provided from the U.S. Naval Observatory. You can get twilight information for other locations at their website.

taken from:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lmk/?n=twilight-types

that's pretty awesome actually.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I just run in the dark...summer or winter. I'm recovering from knee surgery now and have been cleared to start running around Christmas. That's what I'll be doing when the time comes!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Lots of ice here. I fell down three times last winter when I was unfit and a lot heavier. Now that I run I am stronger, more agile, and I wear ice cleats.

http://www.runnersworld.com/other-gear/review-ice-cleats