Plateau going on 5 weeks! HELP!

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    IN FACT, THE ONLY THING THAT I NEED TO CHANGE IS TO DROP 15-20 POUNDS.

Oh, I can think of a couple of other things...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Several MONTHS ago, I asked the same question as OP is asking now, and truthfully, I received several relatively low nonhelpful answers, many of which were very negative about what was perceived as being my mistakes.
    I continued to stick with what I was doing, and have recently learned a few things that I'll throw out that have helped me re-start.
    FIRST- I stopped losing after a significant and very painful personal loss. I'm quite sure that disrupted the balance of my previous year's "losing" streak.
    SECOND- I realized recently that my body prefers eggs over meat as its protein source of choice.
    THIRD- I realized that my body doesn't need a lot of sodium, and doesn't work as well if it has too much.
    So now, after several months, I'm returning to my earlier loss pattern.
    I'm still logging and basing my eating on Paleo principles and intermittent fasting and tweaking with whatever I learn about things that have worked for other losers like me.

1) You likely ate more food in this period - people bring you comfort food, you don't really care about your intake, you may do stupid things (two years ago I spent the summer getting drunk after my sister fell into a coma, had I not "canceled" this out by basically not eating on and after my drinking days I would have gained a lot of weight).

2) This has nothing to do with weight loss other than a) eggs have much less protien than does meat, and b) eggs are likely lower in calorie as you might be eating less compared to how much you'd eat in meat.

3) This has nothing to do with fat loss, at most it will affect scale weight via water retention.

so basically, calories.

Ana, I'm THRILLED that the equation approach has worked exactly as you wanted it too. After having lost (and regained) several times during my life, I decided to do some extra planning this time, and it has worked fine FOR ME.
    For example, salt has been implicated in increasing a tendency towards severe cravings, a problem of mine, and my personal loss caused none of the issues, NONE, that you suffered. As to eating eggs, ere is also research going on out there that yes, differing sources of protein CAN impact on weight loss.
    As I have experimented with some tweaks in my originally successful eating/exercising regime, I have now observed that even having logged and exercised as I had previously in my current weight loss, FOR ME some things DO seem to have an effect on weight loss. Even within scrupulous record keeping.
    There are many, MANY people here with a central goal. People ARE different. Weight loss is not an LOL issue for me. I find it very encouraging to read success stories and suggestions for achieving success, but having failed so many times myself, I would never dismiss or put down another poster's question or comment, unless it was dangerous or potentially self-defeating. I have no objection to being disagreed with, but since I know that some weight loss absolutes are not really absolute, I do object to being addressed as though I were a plump teenager embarking for the first time on fighting the fat wars. Once again, I TOTALLY accept what you say you use to solve YOUR problem.

Salt doesn't affect fat gain/loss, only water weight. So this does affect scale weight, but it's still about eating at a deficit to lose. So if eating way less salt really helps you manage your deficit then that's totally fine, but realize it's not reducing salt intake that helped you lose weight, but reducing salt which reduced cravings which reduced caloric intake lowered your fat loss.

But calorie deficit solves everyone's problem. You also used a caloric deficit, perhaps without realizing what your deficit was (e.g. over-estimating your intake).
  • ana3067
    Options
    What kind of degrees? Sociology, Art, & Music?

HEY, don't bag on the liberal arts! I am majoring in psychology and minoring in art history.

I do, however, plan to pursue a masters degree in occupational therapy. But I at one point wanted to major in art history. WE ARE NOT LESSER BEINGS >:(
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I read that as "Scientology" at first, which seems would be totally appropriate with the levels of guano flying around this thread.

ETA:

Sincerely,

A woman who's lost 27 pounds eating at a caloric deficit, has 2 kids, no pets, lives a typical suburb life void of any pretentious snottery of "disturbingly spoiled" or "disgustingly lavish", and is enrolling to become a nurse
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I read that as "Scientology" at first, which seems would be totally appropriate with the levels of guano flying around this thread.

ETA:

Sincerely,

A woman who's lost 27 pounds eating at a caloric deficit, has 2 kids, no pets, lives a typical suburb life void of any pretentious snottery of "disturbingly spoiled" or "disgustingly lavish", and is enrolling to become a nurse

No pets??? I can't believe I call you friend.

Sorry!

It's against our lease, but to be fair we happily house what school pets we can. Despite not being a fan of reptiles I became partial to a lizard that I've offered a permanent home to should the need ever arise. ;)

Two kids is trying enough at times. We've also established I do quite well on my own creating epic medical bills. :laugh: I don't need vet bills on top of that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Suddenly I feel like this thread had turned into a middle school English assignment like, "write your own obituary" or a trial run at writing a Match.com profile that you read to your friends while getting drunk on a Saturday night...

Either way I'm in....
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I agree with going to see a doctor, if you're eating too little and are never hungry, that's not normal.

Yeah it's weird. Doctors are so useless though. I find you really have to figure things out these days. All they do is try to give you drugs. Or, they don't do anything and say it will just improve on its own! lol Must be nice to make so much money for doing very little (talking about GPs here).

*is genuinely speechless*
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    Several MONTHS ago, I asked the same question as OP is asking now, and truthfully, I received several relatively low nonhelpful answers, many of which were very negative about what was perceived as being my mistakes.
    I continued to stick with what I was doing, and have recently learned a few things that I'll throw out that have helped me re-start.
    FIRST- I stopped losing after a significant and very painful personal loss. I'm quite sure that disrupted the balance of my previous year's "losing" streak.
    SECOND- I realized recently that my body prefers eggs over meat as its protein source of choice.
    THIRD- I realized that my body doesn't need a lot of sodium, and doesn't work as well if it has too much.
    I'm still logging and basing my eating on Paleo principles and intermittent fasting and tweaking with whatever I learn about things that have worked for other losers like me.

1) You likely ate more food in this period - people bring you comfort food, you don't really care about your intake, you may do stupid things (two years ago I spent the summer getting drunk after my sister fell into a coma, had I not "canceled" this out by basically not eating on and after my drinking days I would have gained a lot of weight).

2) This has nothing to do with weight loss other than a) eggs have much less protien than does meat, and b) eggs are likely lower in calorie as you might be eating less compared to how much you'd eat in meat.

3) This has nothing to do with fat loss, at most it will affect scale weight via water retention.

so basically, calories.

Ana, I'm THRILLED that the equation approach has worked exactly as you wanted it too. After having lost (and regained) several times during my life, I decided to do some extra planning this time, and it has worked fine FOR ME.
    For example, salt has been implicated in increasing a tendency towards severe cravings, a problem of mine, and my personal loss caused none of the issues, NONE, that you suffered. As to eating eggs, ere is also research going on out there that yes, differing sources of protein CAN impact on weight loss.
    As I have experimented with some tweaks in my originally successful eating/exercising regime, I have now observed that even having logged and exercised as I had previously in my current weight loss, FOR ME some things DO seem to have an effect on weight loss. Even within scrupulous record keeping.
    There are many, MANY people here with a central goal. People ARE different. Weight loss is not an LOL issue for me. I find it very encouraging to read success stories and suggestions for achieving success, but having failed so many times myself, I would never dismiss or put down another poster's question or comment, unless it was dangerous or potentially self-defeating. I have no objection to being disagreed with, but since I know that some weight loss absolutes are not really absolute, I do object to being addressed as though I were a plump teenager embarking for the first time on fighting the fat wars. Once again, I TOTALLY accept what you say you use to solve YOUR problem.

AGREED!

I have to say this whole post has reminded me so much of becoming a new mother when non-mothers would bark their opinions at me about god know's what that they had no clue about. Each human being is different. Each body is different. Each person experiences things differently. AND I'm a 35 year old mother with a very successful career and 3 university degrees and I certainly do not appreciate being condescended to especially when if anyone actually read what I posited they would see that I have already MANY TIMES gone crazy with the tracking and all it did was lead to loss gain loss gain loss gain. This time, I stopped tracking and lost 18lbs in 6 weeks without even trying. Then I got stuck. I researched online and have not found any articles that describe my experience and so I made the HUGE mistake to post on here hoping another WOMAN with similar stats may have experienced a similar experience and share how they resolved it. RATHER, I was bombarded with people who have the audacity to try and tell me what my experience is, question my resolve and authenticity, etc.

To those opinionated disrespectful people - GET A LIFE! You obviously don't have one as you troll around here trying to tell people how to live their lives and condescend to them so you can feel better about your pathetic self.

To the helpers - Thank you! AND I have learned my lesson. NEVER POST HERE FOR ANY HELP as the BAD VIBES outweigh the GOOD and so I will only seek out advice from the friends I've made here.

Sincerely,

A HIGHLY INTELLIGENT SUCCESSFUL WOMAN WITH THREE DEGREES, A SUCCESSFUL CAREER AND AN AMAZING DAUGHTER LIVING A DISGUSTINGLY LAVISH LIFE IN THE CITY WITH WORLDWIDE FRIENDS AND DISTURBINGLY SPOILED PROSPECTS IN LIFE. IN FACT, THE ONLY THING THAT I NEED TO CHANGE IS TO DROP 15-20 POUNDS. BIG DEAL! AT LEAST I DON'T HAVE TO GET A WHOLE LIFE OR PERSONALITY TRANSPLANT!

*The woman who lost 186lbs and only has a lapsed Insurance License from the state of TN, and proudly holds up mah diploma from Cosmetology School, slowly backs out of this train wreck, with her daughter in their little backwoods town somewhere in Appalachia*

I just wanted to leave this snazzy possum here, just cause.

100_9341-Copy.jpg

• PrizePopple
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Suddenly I feel like this thread had turned into a middle school English assignment like, "write your own obituary" or a trial run at writing a Match.com profile that you read to your friends while getting drunk on a Saturday night...

Either way I'm in....

Man, no one tell my husband.

Also, I wish I could drink. Stupid antibiotics prescribed to me by a useless doctor in the hospital. :grumble:
  • ana3067
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Either way I'm in....

tumblr_m1mytg9pAx1qb01n4o1_400.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »

so basically, calories.

AGREED!

I have to say this whole post has reminded me so much of becoming a new mother when non-mothers would bark their opinions at me about god know's what that they had no clue about. Each human being is different. Each body is different. Each person experiences things differently. AND I'm a 35 year old mother with a very successful career and 3 university degrees and I certainly do not appreciate being condescended to especially when if anyone actually read what I posited they would see that I have already MANY TIMES gone crazy with the tracking and all it did was lead to loss gain loss gain loss gain. This time, I stopped tracking and lost 18lbs in 6 weeks without even trying. Then I got stuck. I researched online and have not found any articles that describe my experience and so I made the HUGE mistake to post on here hoping another WOMAN with similar stats may have experienced a similar experience and share how they resolved it. RATHER, I was bombarded with people who have the audacity to try and tell me what my experience is, question my resolve and authenticity, etc.

To those opinionated disrespectful people - GET A LIFE! You obviously don't have one as you troll around here trying to tell people how to live their lives and condescend to them so you can feel better about your pathetic self.

To the helpers - Thank you! AND I have learned my lesson. NEVER POST HERE FOR ANY HELP as the BAD VIBES outweigh the GOOD and so I will only seek out advice from the friends I've made here.

Sincerely,

A HIGHLY INTELLIGENT SUCCESSFUL WOMAN WITH THREE DEGREES, A SUCCESSFUL CAREER AND AN AMAZING DAUGHTER LIVING A DISGUSTINGLY LAVISH LIFE IN THE CITY WITH WORLDWIDE FRIENDS AND DISTURBINGLY SPOILED PROSPECTS IN LIFE. IN FACT, THE ONLY THING THAT I NEED TO CHANGE IS TO DROP 15-20 POUNDS. BIG DEAL! AT LEAST I DON'T HAVE TO GET A WHOLE LIFE OR PERSONALITY TRANSPLANT!

*The woman who lost 186lbs and only has a lapsed Insurance License from the state of TN, and proudly holds up mah diploma from Cosmetology School, slowly backs out of this train wreck, with her daughter in their little backwoods town somewhere in Appalachia*

100_9341-Copy.jpg

Totally read "math diploma from cosmetology school"
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »

so basically, calories.

AGREED!

Sincerely,

100_9341-Copy.jpg

Totally read "math diploma from cosmetology school"

Girl, that is like WAY over my head. ;) However, the possum, it closely resembles my "Chloe". I haven't been the same since she escaped about 18 years ago *sniffles*.

• StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Cool = READING what the poster writes and responding to it in a respectful way IF you have specific experience with or knowledge of what is being posited.

Uncool = Skimming over what the poster writes, responding in a condescending way that is in no-one helpful nor respectful of what the poster writes nor their experience when you cannot relate to nor understand what the poster is asking in any way (professionally, personally, etc.).

Throughout this thread there are many posts by people questioning the authenticity of what was said by myself as well as other posters on here. Just because you click on a thread does not mean you have to SPEW your personal opinions or rants out. You can simply move onto one that you may actually have valuable insight to give.

In any light, these forums are unfortunately largely populated by trolls who want to hear the sound of their own farts rather than contribute any kind of valuable way.

I only mentioned my success in life to try and indicate how inappropriate some of the condescension I received was and I would propose that is in large part because I'm a woman.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Cool = READING what the poster writes and responding to it in a respectful way IF you have specific experience with or knowledge of what is being posited.

Uncool = Skimming over what the poster writes, responding in a condescending way that is in no-one helpful nor respectful of what the poster writes nor their experience when you cannot relate to nor understand what the poster is asking in any way (professionally, personally, etc.).

Throughout this thread there are many posts by people questioning the authenticity of what was said by myself as well as other posters on here. Just because you click on a thread does not mean you have to SPEW your personal opinions or rants out. You can simply move onto one that you may actually have valuable insight to give.

In any light, these forums are unfortunately largely populated by trolls who want to hear the sound of their own farts rather than contribute any kind of valuable way.

I only mentioned my success in life to try and indicate how inappropriate some of the condescension I received was and I would propose that is in large part because I'm a woman.

It couldn't have possibly been because you were wrong and not a woman? No? Well, okay then :laugh:

2zz4vbk.gif

Pulling the gender card out like you have (and continue to do) is pretty void for this seeing as most of the people that disagreed were women.
  • StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Only one was a woman and women can be awful to one another (as I pointed out on what I said about new mothers). You don't have to have a D11K to be one!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Only one was a woman and women can be awful to one another (as I pointed out on what I said about new mothers). You don't have to have a D11K to be one!

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif

• ana3067
    edited December 2014
    Options
    We didn't question the authenticity of what you wrote. We just told you that you were likely incorrect about your assessment of your caloric intake. Considering how easy it is to over or underestimate portions, and because you were/are not weighing or measuring food, it was a logical point to make.

So, we did have valuable insight to give. You just chose to ignore it and/or say we are wrong and you are right. There is another poster who, months ago, posted about his plateaus. He said "just assume my logging is correct" and we said "no, we need to see whether your logging is correct." After he got really mad he finally opened his diary up, and guess waht? Terrible logging. He STILL doesn't log properly (uses generic recipes, uses random measurements for things that shouldn't be measured, doesn't eat to his goal ever and the inconsistency between how much he does eat daily is HUGE, uses entries with incorrect macronutrient information, etc) and just posted about his desire to go on a medically supervised 1200 calorie diet because he hasn't been losing much weight. He has posted a few times as well about not losing weight, every time we gave him the same advice, every time he ignored it.

So just because you THINK you are doing things right, if others can see from the evidence that you aren't (which, BTW, you really did not provide - I was specifically looking for a proper logged example, which you didn't really give) then you need to realize that maybe you've just been doing things wrong and that your thinking was incorrect.

Also, did you not notice that most of us who replied... are women... And none of us were condescending. We were honest, you did not like the honesty. Helpful honesty =/= trolling, and you are clearly simply butthurt that people are pointing out the flaws in your reasoning.