So many feels in this thread

38353-the-feels-gif-2RqD.gif
    giphy.gif
    38353-the-feels-gif-Vvyf.gif
    2r8zqal.gif

Brace+yourselves+too+many+damn+feels_e26c64_3785839.jpg
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Cool = READING what the poster writes and responding to it in a respectful way IF you have specific experience with or knowledge of what is being posited.

Uncool = Skimming over what the poster writes, responding in a condescending way that is in no-one helpful nor respectful of what the poster writes nor their experience when you cannot relate to nor understand what the poster is asking in any way (professionally, personally, etc.).

Throughout this thread there are many posts by people questioning the authenticity of what was said by myself as well as other posters on here. Just because you click on a thread does not mean you have to SPEW your personal opinions or rants out. You can simply move onto one that you may actually have valuable insight to give.

In any light, these forums are unfortunately largely populated by trolls who want to hear the sound of their own farts rather than contribute any kind of valuable way.

I only mentioned my success in life to try and indicate how inappropriate some of the condescension I received was and I would propose that is in large part because I'm a woman.

TL;DR

tumblr_inline_nfx7axhgtC1qhujwe.gif

Oh and ...

pot-kettle.jpg

• StalgiaPasternak
    StalgiaPasternak Posts: 55 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    We didn't question the authenticity of what you wrote. We just told you that you were likely incorrect about your assessment of your caloric intake. Considering how easy it is to over or underestimate portions, and because you were/are not weighing or measuring food, it was a logical point to make.

So, we did have valuable insight to give. You just chose to ignore it and/or say we are wrong and you are right. There is another poster who, months ago, posted about his plateaus. He said "just assume my logging is correct" and we said "no, we need to see whether your logging is correct." After he got really mad he finally opened his diary up, and guess waht? Terrible logging. He STILL doesn't log properly (uses generic recipes, uses random measurements for things that shouldn't be measured, doesn't eat to his goal ever and the inconsistency between how much he does eat daily is HUGE, uses entries with incorrect macronutrient information, etc) and just posted about his desire to go on a medically supervised 1200 calorie diet because he hasn't been losing much weight. He has posted a few times as well about not losing weight, every time we gave him the same advice, every time he ignored it.

So just because you THINK you are doing things right, if others can see from the evidence that you aren't (which, BTW, you really did not provide - I was specifically looking for a proper logged example, which you didn't really give) then you need to realize that maybe you've just been doing things wrong and that your thinking was incorrect.

Also, did you not notice that most of us who replied... are women... And none of us were condescending. We were honest, you did not like the honesty. Helpful honesty =/= trolling, and you are clearly simply butthurt that people are pointing out the flaws in your reasoning.

If you can figure out that logging is correct or incorrect I am sure I can! Also, not everyone here subscribes to the logging fanaticism and I tried to make that point many times as I have logged for many years and yes I have lost weight but gained it back and I think in large park the obsession with logging is unhealthy psychologically. I do not think that tracking everything religiously is healthy nor do I think it works for long term weight loss. Just look at France and Italy! The notion of living like that is disgusting to them and they have very low rates of obesity.

In addition, I have at various points in my life printed off diaries of my logging here or in WW and taken them to nutritionists and naturopaths who have confirmed for me that I am doing things precisely and accurately. It's really not rocket science.

As for being condescending as a male or female I really couldn't care less. The names I am referring to start with MR something or other so I assumed they were male perhaps they are trans. Anyway, regardless of gender this is a culture on here of being condescending to posters which is in no-one helpful and quite frankly very rude. Rather than ASSUME the poster knows less than yourself why not assume they know just as much? Because assuming makes an A++ out of U and ME!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    We didn't question the authenticity of what you wrote. We just told you that you were likely incorrect about your assessment of your caloric intake. Considering how easy it is to over or underestimate portions, and because you were/are not weighing or measuring food, it was a logical point to make.

So, we did have valuable insight to give. You just chose to ignore it and/or say we are wrong and you are right. There is another poster who, months ago, posted about his plateaus. He said "just assume my logging is correct" and we said "no, we need to see whether your logging is correct." After he got really mad he finally opened his diary up, and guess waht? Terrible logging. He STILL doesn't log properly (uses generic recipes, uses random measurements for things that shouldn't be measured, doesn't eat to his goal ever and the inconsistency between how much he does eat daily is HUGE, uses entries with incorrect macronutrient information, etc) and just posted about his desire to go on a medically supervised 1200 calorie diet because he hasn't been losing much weight. He has posted a few times as well about not losing weight, every time we gave him the same advice, every time he ignored it.

So just because you THINK you are doing things right, if others can see from the evidence that you aren't (which, BTW, you really did not provide - I was specifically looking for a proper logged example, which you didn't really give) then you need to realize that maybe you've just been doing things wrong and that your thinking was incorrect.

Also, did you not notice that most of us who replied... are women... And none of us were condescending. We were honest, you did not like the honesty. Helpful honesty =/= trolling, and you are clearly simply butthurt that people are pointing out the flaws in your reasoning.

If you can figure out that logging is correct or incorrect I am sure I can! Also, not everyone here subscribes to the logging fanaticism and I tried to make that point many times as I have logged for many years and yes I have lost weight but gained it back and I think in large park the obsession with logging is unhealthy psychologically. I do not think that tracking everything religiously is healthy nor do I think it works for long term weight loss. Just look at France and Italy! The notion of living like that is disgusting to them and they have very low rates of obesity.

In addition, I have at various points in my life printed off diaries of my logging here or in WW and taken them to nutritionists and naturopaths who have confirmed for me that I am doing things precisely and accurately. It's really not rocket science.

As for being condescending as a male or female I really couldn't care less. The names I am referring to start with MR something or other so I assumed they were male perhaps they are trans. Anyway, regardless of gender this is a culture on here of being condescending to posters which is in no-one helpful and quite frankly very rude. Rather than ASSUME the poster knows less than yourself why not assume they know just as much? Because assuming makes an A++ out of U and ME!

Yes, I have been able to figure my logging out because I follow proper guidelines: 1) weigh all foods, 2) use correct entries, 3) eat consistently every day, 4) use my own recipes.

So are you doing all 4 things above? If so, then yes your logging is correct. If not, then your logging is inaccurate.

You may think logging is not healthy for you, and that's fine. I have not had any mental issues with logging and do not find it unhealthy. As I plan to bulk next year, I will not be eating consistently at maintenance the rest of my life, so this is one reason I plan to log long-term. However, if you've logged and lost weight and then stopped logging only to regain, you're likely not the type of person who can go without logging. Or you simply are not learning lifestyle changes.

And to simply print off a log and bring it to a naturopath (and I really hope that you do not go to a naturopath in lieu of a real doctor) or nutritionist (and basically ANYONE can be a nutritionist) does not mean that you were doing it right. Were you logging 1200 calories? Yes. Did they question why you were likely not eating enough? I'm guessing not. Did they make any comments about inaccuracies with macronutrients and calorie totals outside of normal rounding, e.g. did your sandwich entry say 0g for carbs (which I saw on another person's log)?

People here are only "condescending" to posters when it's clear they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and are peddling incorrect information. And even then, it's us telling them to shut up. Otherwise, there are situations such as this one where someone posts about needing help, we tell them our advice for how they can likely alleviate the problem, and OP ignores it. And they might start getting upset and angry for no apparent reason, as you did.

So we are not assuming you know less than us. We assumed or simply questioned whether your logging practices were actually accurate, and if inaccurate then that means that you have been misinformed about your intake. Which is quite likely, as this happens with most people who only measure (or don't bother measuring) their food. And because you mentioned that you weren't logging when you made that 800-calorie estimation, we had even more reason to provide some reasons as to why you might be mistaken.

All in all, it is your choice to either listen to the advice others have given you and see if they are correct (or even asking them to explain their advice is fine), or to go about it the way you did and have a tantrum. We are not controlling your actions.

And how do you know that people in France and Italy do not log? One of my MFP friends is European. One must also realize that portion sizes are not universal, so that might benefit Europeans. Otherwise, unless you have sat down and questioned every single Italian and uh.. people living in France, and you've measured to see whether they are obese or not, then your assumption is not really valid.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited December 2014

Yes, I have been able to figure my logging out because I follow proper guidelines: 1) weigh all foods, 2) use correct entries, 3) eat consistently every day, 4) use my own recipes.

So are you doing all 4 things above? If so, then yes your logging is correct. If not, then your logging is inaccurate.

You may think logging is not healthy for you, and that's fine. I have not had any mental issues with logging and do not find it unhealthy. As I plan to bulk next year, I will not be eating consistently at maintenance the rest of my life, so this is one reason I plan to log long-term. However, if you've logged and lost weight and then stopped logging only to regain, you're likely not the type of person who can go without logging. Or you simply are not learning lifestyle changes.

And to simply print off a log and bring it to a naturopath (and I really hope that you do not go to a naturopath in lieu of a real doctor) or nutritionist (and basically ANYONE can be a nutritionist) does not mean that you were doing it right. Were you logging 1200 calories? Yes. Did they question why you were likely not eating enough? I'm guessing not. Did they make any comments about inaccuracies with macronutrients and calorie totals outside of normal rounding, e.g. did your sandwich entry say 0g for carbs (which I saw on another person's log)?

People here are only "condescending" to posters when it's clear they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and are peddling incorrect information. And even then, it's us telling them to shut up. Otherwise, there are situations such as this one where someone posts about needing help, we tell them our advice for how they can likely alleviate the problem, and OP ignores it. And they might start getting upset and angry for no apparent reason, as you did.

So we are not assuming you know less than us. We assumed or simply questioned whether your logging practices were actually accurate, and if inaccurate then that means that you have been misinformed about your intake. Which is quite likely, as this happens with most people who only measure (or don't bother measuring) their food. And because you mentioned that you weren't logging when you made that 800-calorie estimation, we had even more reason to provide some reasons as to why you might be mistaken.

All in all, it is your choice to either listen to the advice others have given you and see if they are correct (or even asking them to explain their advice is fine), or to go about it the way you did and have a tantrum. We are not controlling your actions.

And how do you know that people in France and Italy do not log? One of my MFP friends is European. One must also realize that portion sizes are not universal, so that might benefit Europeans. Otherwise, unless you have sat down and questioned every single Italian and uh.. people living in France, and you've measured to see whether they are obese or not, then your assumption is not really valid.

French person?

:)

ETA:

Frenchmen, regardless of male or female. Or "every single one of The French" could work too.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_people
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

A HIGHLY INTELLIGENT SUCCESSFUL WOMAN WITH THREE DEGREES, A SUCCESSFUL CAREER AND AN AMAZING DAUGHTER LIVING A DISGUSTINGLY LAVISH LIFE IN THE CITY WITH WORLDWIDE FRIENDS AND DISTURBINGLY SPOILED PROSPECTS IN LIFE. IN FACT, THE ONLY THING THAT I NEED TO CHANGE IS TO DROP 15-20 POUNDS. BIG DEAL! AT LEAST I DON'T HAVE TO GET A WHOLE LIFE OR PERSONALITY TRANSPLANT!

I for one would love to hear more about the disgustingly lavish life (eating Starbucks and Subway) in the city (what city?) with worldwide friends (ooh I have friends in other countries too) and disturbingly spoiled prospects (I don't even know what that means but I'm intrigued) in life...

This sounds like Real Housewives of MFP...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Try the personality transplant, I hear it's a sure way to move off the plateau but make sure you go with the scaled down aggression & ego those weigh a bit more

If that doesn't work drop the attitude, log your food accurately
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

French person?

I think they prefer "Frenchie"

• ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »

French person?

Oh that's a good one
  • rebolaugh
    rebolaugh Posts: 125 Member

A HIGHLY INTELLIGENT SUCCESSFUL WOMAN WITH THREE DEGREES, A SUCCESSFUL CAREER AND AN AMAZING DAUGHTER LIVING A DISGUSTINGLY LAVISH LIFE IN THE CITY WITH WORLDWIDE FRIENDS AND DISTURBINGLY SPOILED PROSPECTS IN LIFE. IN FACT, THE ONLY THING THAT I NEED TO CHANGE IS TO DROP 15-20 POUNDS. BIG DEAL! AT LEAST I DON'T HAVE TO GET A WHOLE LIFE OR PERSONALITY TRANSPLANT!

I for one would love to hear more about the disgustingly lavish life (eating Starbucks and Subway) in the city (what city?) with worldwide friends (ooh I have friends in other countries too) and disturbingly spoiled prospects (I don't even know what that means but I'm intrigued) in life...

LOL, "disturbingly spoiled prospects" sounds like a negative thing. I'm sorry to the OP that your prospects were spoiled. And I respectfully agree with those who have recommended you try logging accurately to get a better sense of what you are consuming. I'd also suggest adding more variety to your diet. I like Starbucks and Subway too, but only once in a while.

Love,

a 35-year old lesbian mother of 2 living in a moderately big city while reaping the privileges that come from having a PhD in French literature but working as a secretary.

ps. The French have a completely different attitude and culture regarding food and eating; it is true that obesity rates and diseases related to obesity are much lower in France, despite their consumption of bread, butter, meat, cheese, etc. See "French paradox." Yet there is a French community here on MFP, so some folks do feel the need to log.

pps. if you find yourself obsessing needlessly over calorie-counting, as you claim has happened in the past, I would encourage you sincerely to see a nutritionist and/or therapist to help you find ways to eat healthily and/or deal with logging in a way that does not cause obsessive behaviors. I wish you good luck, with all sincerity.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

French person?

frenchie_tude.jpg
  • rebolaugh
    rebolaugh Posts: 125 Member
    OP, I see from your earlier comments and your profile that you "haven't slept more than 3-4 hours/night in 2.5 years." That seems far more worrisome than reaching a plateau with your weight loss. A lack of sleep can hinder your physical and mental well-being. I know you are skeptical of doctors, but I would encourage you to see one about that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

There are quite a few Europeans on this part of the site and there are different versions/languages of MFP as well. What was the OP saying about assuming again?

:laugh:

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    What kind of degrees? Sociology, Art, & Music?

Am I the only one thinking English Lit? Or some branch of Psychology?

*sigh*

Situations like this are the reason I don't hold any degrees in particularly high esteem. People, yes. Degrees, no.

B.S. - Bull$hit
    M.S. - More *kitten*
    Ph.D. - Piled high and Deep
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member

I don't like reality shows but I would totally watch that.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    So basically, you stopped logging and you stopped losing weight.

You know what needs to get fixed in order to lose weight, but you're not willing to do it because it 'depresses' you. I'm sorry, but that is such a cop out. If you're desperate enough, you'll do whatever it takes to lose weight. Including listening to the really good advice you've gotten... which is to log & weigh your food. Who cares if the advice came from a man or a woman? Would you take the advice if it came from a talking chicken? What if it was a male chicken?

Seriously, stop being lazy. If you want to lose weight, do what it takes and stop looking for some 'diet' that you can be as lazy as possible with.

Your education should have told you enough with just the first sentence though... I mean... it's kind of obvious, even to someone who doesn't hold 3 university degrees. :|
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    I do not think that tracking everything religiously is healthy nor do I think it works for long term weight loss.

Well there we go...

We've well and truly reached the heart of the issue.

And yes - you are eating more than you think (or should).

....I have at various points in my life printed off diaries of my logging here or in WW and taken them to nutritionists and naturopaths who have confirmed for me that I am doing things precisely and accurately. It's really not rocket science.

And yet you continue finding ways of missing the point....
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member

French person?

ETA:

Frenchmen, regardless of male or female. Or "every single one of The French" could work too.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_people

I was gonna say Francophone but that's us Canadians :p