how many calories do 'YOU' aim to burn for work outs?

Options
I was just wanting to know what others normally think is enough of a burn for their work outs. I feel like a bum if i do anything less then 400 for working out. But i also know that its a pain to burn a lot with so little time. i CAN burn up to 500+ with my turbo fire dvd's but i feel like i would have to be at the gym for at least 2 hours every day to get in a decent work out. And yea, i know the smaller you are the less calories you burn during activities then when your bigger, but i just wanted to know if i'm on the average side of things or if i should be doing more......any input would be great:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical. 60 minutes, depending on the level anywhere from 600-850 calories burned
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My typical burns are somewhere around 250-350.

On the weekends I tend to burn more, 400-800, as I like to challenge myself to longer runs or bicycle rides. The weird part is that on the weekends, I consider it a recreational activity whereas my normal day-to-day is "work".

To your question - I don't think you NEED to do any more. What you are doing currently sounds quite adequate.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I generally am at the gym for 45 mins and burn about 350 cals. I feel satisfied at 400 or more. It takes ALOT more for me to burn that much now, but it's worth the "high" I feel afterwords. I tend to break up my workouts during the week, and go longer on the weekends. I try to burn more than 450 at least once a week.

I'm 5'6" and 160 lbs, btw.
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical. 60 minutes, depending on the level anywhere from 600-850 calories burned

Is that what the machines tell you or do you have a HRM or Body bugg that says those things??
  • catwoodard
    catwoodard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 400 calories 5-6 days a week. I use a HRM to get a fairly accurate count. Before using it, I thought I was burning a lot more calories than I actually was. But it takes me 60 minutes on average to reach that 400 cal mark on the elliptical or doing zumba so it is pretty difficult to get much more in a day.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You should view exercise as good for the mind, body, and soul and not just a calorie burn. You should focus on good eating habits to keep your total daily calories within check so that your burn at the gym really does not matter if it is low or high---all that matters is that you did something good for you.
  • EriNicole83
    EriNicole83 Posts: 17
    Options
    Wow, now I feel like a BUM! I get excited if I burn 175 calories! Hmm.....
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I don't. I burn what I burn.

Exercise is about getting up and moving, improving cardiovascular fitness, and physical strength.

The calories burned are a bonus... and should be eaten back. :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't go into a workout aiming for a specific calorie burn. I just do my run, or my Pilates, etc. for fitness and de-stressing.
  • mazomama
    Options
    You should view exercise as good for the mind, body, and soul and not just a calorie burn. You should focus on good eating habits to keep your total daily calories within check so that your burn at the gym really does not matter if it is low or high---all that matters is that you did something good for you.

ummm ok. thanks for telling me how i "SHOULD" think. But its not how my mind works. And of course eating is under check, but yes the work outs i do matter. Thanks i guess....
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw out a different approach:) I used to worry about how many calories I burned each day trying to hit at least 600 and usually it was more and closer to 1000 and it still is on days I train for my half or snowboarding but not typical anymore. I was reminded by a mfp buddy that when youre working so hard to burn all those cal, you have to eat them all back... counterproductive? What I found to be more useful of my time (unless of course Im training for long distance or snowboarding) is to build muscle, get your cardio in and burn calories at the same time and I typically burn about 300-400 maybe up to 600 at most. Building muscle is important as muscle burns fat:) My advice would be to not get too caught up with all these numbers... thats what Im working on:)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't have much more time during the week than 30 minutes to work out, so I try for about 250 on those days. On the weekends when I have a little more time I try for 400. I was routinely trying for 500, but that was before I got my HRM and I know that isn't realistic in a half hour despite what the machines were telling me. I don't typically have to exercise to meet my calorie goals because my eating takes care of that. I really like how it makes me feel and it does help with the weight loss.
  • mazomama
    Options
    Just wanted to throw out a different approach:) I used to worry about how many calories I burned each day trying to hit at least 600 and usually it was more and closer to 1000 and it still is on days I train for my half or snowboarding but not typical anymore. I was reminded by a mfp buddy that when youre working so hard to burn all those cal, you have to eat them all back... counterproductive? What I found to be more useful of my time (unless of course Im training for long distance or snowboarding) is to build muscle, get your cardio in and burn calories at the same time and I typically burn about 300-400 maybe up to 600 at most. Building muscle is important as muscle burns fat:) My advice would be to not get too caught up with all these numbers... thats what Im working on:)

thats a good point :)
  • riley22
    riley22 Posts: 27
    Options
    I love Zumba and do Turbokick as well. It's hard to find how many calories I burn doing them though. I try to burn at least 350 but it's usually more. Depends on the teacher and my effort also.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I try to burn 500 calories+ per workout, that way at the end of a week I will have burned 3500 calories, which is approximately a pound a week.

If I'm not feeling up to it, I will burn only 100 calories.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio with an unholy passion. My goal is to make myself do at least 250 3x a week. My workouts normally consist of only weightlifting and I have no idea what that burns, I know it isn't what the stupid calculator says on here. I lift heavy and work to increase my weights every month or so. I wish I enjoyed cardio more since I enjoy eating so much and would love to eat my calories! Once I'm back to fighting weight I'll do maybe 20 minutes a couple times a week of cardio and stick to weights primarily. Sounds like you're doing great.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Typically 1,000 w/HRM. My new plan starting this week will be about 700/1,000 every other day though I don't count some things like yoga at all.
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just went back through my exercise log for April. In those thirty days, I took 6 days completely off from cardio. Two additional days don't accurately reflect my usual workout (they were either only the 30 Day Shred or walking outside), so the following analysis is based on the 22 days that I did what I would consider average or usual workouts. FYI, for me average/usual means some combination of elliptical, crossramp, stationary rowing, and spin class.

Workout Length (minutes)
    Minimum: 50
    Maximum: 103
    Average: 68.9

Calorie Burn
    Minimum: 502
    Maximum: 1,021
    Average: 690.3

Calorie Burn per Hour
    Minimum: 493.8
    Maximum: 735
    Average: 601.4

Edit: These numbers are based on my HRM (Polar FT7). I always make sure to take the reading from the HRM and subtract out my "just living" calories based on my MFP daily calories burned from normal activity.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-6 days a week and aim for 600-1000 depending on what is planned. The days I have a sport and workout tend to be the days up near 1000 and such.
  • HopeytheHopester
    HopeytheHopester Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least 50 calories in 15 minutes. That's not bad..., right?