Run or walk? Gym or home?

Options
I have been running for the last few years. I am currently not feeling very motivated with the running. Is there any truth to the statement that walking is just as beneficial as running? I enjoy walking and have considered switching to more of that, but I am not sure I would get as much cardio benefit.

Also, on another note...I read parts of one of the books suggested on the myfitnesspal forums about heavy lifting for women (can't remember the title). It seemed to suggest that there is little benefit to steady state cardio compared to heavy lifting. If I want to get into weight training, do I have to go to the gym or is body weight training with limited dumbbells at home (using videos like fitnessblender or Jillian Michaels or p90x) sufficient?

Replies

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are (though of course zealots of certain things will say NO XYZ IS THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING!).

Is your goal calorie burn? If so, then running burns more calories over the same distance, plus it's way faster. Lifting will almost certainly burn fewer calories than most cardio-based activities, though having a more muscular physique will increase your basal metabolic rate. At-home calisthenics videos are often a great way to burn calories and build a teeny bit of muscle.

If your goal is lifting increasingly heavier things, then no, at-home videos will not help you accomplish that goal (unless you have a massive set of dumbbells and do the videos with increasingly heavy loads each time). It is definitely possible to build muscle using bodyweight, but it takes a targeted program of increasing resistance (e.g. squats to single-leg squats, for example).

If your goal is just general fitness, then I'd recommend a combo of HIIT training (for cardiovascular health)--this could definitely be an at-home video if you go hard--and some weight lifting, along with something that emphasizes physical agility such as dance, yoga, calisthenics, etc.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine for burning calories, but its typically done at a lower intensity than running, so you'd probably end up walking for longer periods to get the same calorie burn you were getting from your runs.

Weights are better for recomposition/sculpting your physique than cardio alone. A gym makes it easier to progressively increase your weights, but it can be done at home if that's your preference.
  • AprilJ10
    AprilJ10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to run when I was younger but now prefer walking. I know it takes longer to walk to burn the same amount of calories as running, but I enjoy walking and do it up to twice a day for an hour each time. I feel too heavy right now to run, about 20 pounds overweight. If I find myself losing I might start running again at a lower weight, just feels like too much on my joints. Good luck on your journey! Whatever you decide to do.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The book is called 'New Rules of Lifting for Women.'
  • 67mirunner
    Options
    Do what makes you happy!! If it comes down to walking or just skipping the cardio all together.....go for the walk. And, 1 mile is 1 mile.....doesn't matter how you get there.

Wish I had more insight on the weight lifting.....good luck with whichever path you choose!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Steep incline walking! I run and I lift. I have a trainer, but everything he has me doing I could technically do at home. Sometimes he has me doing intense cardio strength work; like 50 box jumps, 50 push ups, 50 squats, 50 kettle bell swings...one session of that is at least as much cardio as me running 4 miles.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you walk, keep a fast pace and try to incorporate terrain & hills.

At home bodyweight strength is more than adequate, however I would ditch the videos and fluff and stay on a more focused strength plan.
    Check out convict conditioning, start bodyweight.com, strength unbound, Nerdfitness and the books by Al Kavadlo.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, gym and walking. I know a lot of people who run, they are all dangerously thin, suffer joint pain, and barely have the strength to curl their tooth brush. I prefer lifting heavy for the big 3 movements (Bench, Dead, Squat) and then all hypertrophy based 8-12 reps for almost all other movements with the exception of abs, delts, forearms, etc. However it is all personal preference, I want to be alpha, not average.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    In my opinion, gym and walking. I know a lot of people who run, they are all dangerously thin, suffer joint pain, and barely have the strength to curl their tooth brush.

Do they have ebola, too? :wink:

I like walking, running & lifting. The days I walk, I walk far and walk very steep hills. I work most of the same muscles as running, but I feel it in some different places, so I'm working something else as well. I think it depends on what your goals are, what you would actually commit to, and what your body needs.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. It has good stuff in it and is updated in theory and technique (compared to the "for women" version). I am a somewhat long term weight lifter, 6 or 7 years, and just picked this up from the library last week. Even if you don't follow the plan, you can find some good information in it.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, gym and walking. I know a lot of people who run, they are all dangerously thin, suffer joint pain, and barely have the strength to curl their tooth brush

That is like saying that I know a lot of people who lift, and they are all meatheads who wear do-rags and spandex, grunt at high decibels, slam weights, and shoot steroids in their *kitten* in the locker room. It is a naive generalization that is not based in reality.

I run a lot, and most of the thousands of people that I encounter at the races look like any other person, except there are less obese people. A great number (myself included) generally divide their time between lifting in the gym and running, as well as biking, swimming, etc – training 1 dimensional is antiquated and boring.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, gym and walking. I know a lot of people who run, they are all dangerously thin, suffer joint pain, and barely have the strength to curl their tooth brush. I prefer lifting heavy for the big 3 movements (Bench, Dead, Squat) and then all hypertrophy based 8-12 reps for almost all other movements with the exception of abs, delts, forearms, etc. However it is all personal preference, I want to be alpha, not average.

I enjoy running and I dont meet any of the criteria you specified. My last half marathon I ran I maybe only noticed a few ppl who met that. Sure maybe the endurance athletes and who can run a 6 minute mile for the whole race meet that critera. But of course that is what they train for.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?!?!

I don't exercise - I train. I run obstacle courses races, so my training is tailored to make me better at that. I do 1-3 hour workouts that include running, hill training, standard lifting, body weight exercises, carrying heavy buckets and logs around, boot camp style stuff, etc. I also play soccer and have trained for/done triathlons.

If you are just looking for overall health you would not need to do the kind of workouts I do....
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

You should branch out and meet new runners. I'm not any of those things and I have run a half marathon. Not even my Ironman girlfriends meet that criteria.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is there any truth to the statement that walking is just as beneficial as running?

Generally no, but it depends what you want to achieve. Lower intensity so fewer calories expended and you won't improve threshold capacity or VO2Max.
    It seemed to suggest that there is little benefit to steady state cardio compared to heavy lifting.

Every book you read will tell you the "One True Way" (TM), but that's comparing apples and pizzas. They're complementary to one another. Regardless of the demonstration of meatheaded knuckledragging upthread runners benefit from some resistance training, in a similar way to CV training of some kind is a more efficient method of driving out improvement in endurance and aerobic capacity.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

that is the only part of your post that made sense.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    Options
    Walking is just as beneficial as running. The only thing is, you will have to walk for longer than you would have to run to burn the same amount of calories. In other words, you might run for 30 minutes and burn 300 calories and you might walk for 30 minutes and burn 150 calories. You might have to walk for an hour to burn 300 calories. (Those numbers are just guesses, but I'm sure you get the concept of what I am saying). So if you want to burn 300 calories today, you could go out and run for 30 minutes or you could go out and walk for 1 hour and you would burn 300 calories either way.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are (though of course zealots of certain things will say NO XYZ IS THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING!).

Is your goal calorie burn? If so, then running burns more calories over the same distance, plus it's way faster. Lifting will almost certainly burn fewer calories than most cardio-based activities, though having a more muscular physique will increase your basal metabolic rate. At-home calisthenics videos are often a great way to burn calories and build a teeny bit of muscle.

If your goal is lifting increasingly heavier things, then no, at-home videos will not help you accomplish that goal (unless you have a massive set of dumbbells and do the videos with increasingly heavy loads each time). It is definitely possible to build muscle using bodyweight, but it takes a targeted program of increasing resistance (e.g. squats to single-leg squats, for example).

If your goal is just general fitness, then I'd recommend a combo of HIIT training (for cardiovascular health)--this could definitely be an at-home video if you go hard--and some weight lifting, along with something that emphasizes physical agility such as dance, yoga, calisthenics, etc.

This is really solid advice right here.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender and working with dumbbells at home may be sufficient for your goals, yes, but it's not "heavy lifting." In order for it to be heavy lifting, it needs to feel heavy to you. If you have 5 lb dumbbells, you won't be lifting heavy. If you have 25 lb dumbbells, it may be heavy now but you'll grow out of them. I purchased lifting equipment (bench, rack, olympic weight set, dumbbells, etc) for my home because I can't stand the gym. I've probably invested about $600 into my weight room, which isn't bad. Look into used equipment that's still in good shape.

There's nothing wrong with bodyweight training if that's what you prefer, either. Just don't call it lifting if it's not. And don't do p90x unless you already have it or can get it for free. You don't need to spend money on workout videos when there are plenty of free options out there.