Need a good hard slap in the face? Find out where you are on the global fat scale.

Options

Replies

• goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    ;) I'm moving to Bangladesh lol.....
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    LOL and this is why BMI is a garbage stat, I went and plugged in my information and it gave me a BMI of 55 which is "obese"….there is no way I am obese at 180 pounds and 14 to 15% body fat…even though I am bulking right now….The problem with BMI is that it does not account for muscle mass….

Unfortunately, I think you're an outlier; most folks who are over their BMI are not over because of muscle. I know it happens more often on MFP, but in the general population, not so much...

My results were encouraging, especially after weighing after Thanksgiving!

"You have a lower BMI than 92% of females aged 45-59 in your country." "You have a lower BMI than 75% of females aged 45-59 in the world." "If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 31,173,398 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population."
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    betharin wrote: »
    This is very reflective of how overweight Americans are now. I have a lower BMI than 65% in the U.S. for my height/age, but higher than 71% worldwide!!

actually it is not, because BMI does not account for muscle mass…

Not saying Americans are not obese, I am just disputing that BMI is an "effective stat"….

It actually IS reflective. People with a larger muscle mass than average are the exception, not the rule. BMI may not be very accurate for individuals, but it is for large groups.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm lower than 67% of females age 30-44 in Canada and lower than 50% of females age 30-44 in the world.....mmmmm
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So far Ive gone from being like an average tongan.. to an average chinaman... definitely a stat I'll take :-)
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Really interesting link, thank you.
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow, I started out about a year ago with a higher BMI than even the women in Tonga. After a 30 pound weigh loss I have only dropped to the level of Egyptians. Geez, I have a long way to go. :(
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think this part is scary: If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 119,248,950 tonnes tothe total weight of the world's population
    But it USED to be 206,057,998 tonnes! So I'm going in the right direction!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LOL and this is why BMI is a garbage stat, I went and plugged in my information and it gave me a BMI of 55 which is "obese"….there is no way I am obese at 180 pounds and 14 to 15% body fat…even though I am bulking right now….The problem with BMI is that it does not account for muscle mass….

Unfortunately, I think you're an outlier; most folks who are over their BMI are not over because of muscle. I know it happens more often on MFP, but in the general population, not so much...

My results were encouraging, especially after weighing after Thanksgiving!

"You have a lower BMI than 92% of females aged 45-59 in your country." "You have a lower BMI than 75% of females aged 45-59 in the world." "If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 31,173,398 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population."

any stat that does not account for how much muscle a given person is carrying around is not reliable…

A more reasonable one would be body fat% or actual weight comparison.

• Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

By your information (180 pounds, 55 BMI) you are four feet tall, so BMI is probably not a good indicator for you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »

By your information (180 pounds, 55 BMI) you are four feet tall, so BMI is probably not a good indicator for you.

I put in 5 feet 10 inches into the calculator...
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 22. It says I am below the national and global averages for my age category. In the US, I'm apparently below 91%? I'm not actually thin. I'm just medium size.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have seen this article resurface/reprint about every 3 or 4 months. Still cool though.

I went from having a BMI higher than 81% (in the USA) 98% (in the world) to having a BMI lower than 87% of my peers (in the USA) 60% (in the world).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ok so now it gives me a BMI of 26 which is still over weight which is still garbage.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    As for body fat, the nutritionist measured it at 25% last month.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »

I put in 5 feet 10 inches into the calculator...

Try putting your weight in pounds, not kilograms.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    National: You have a lower BMI than 81% of females aged 30-44 in your country (US)
    Global: You have a lower BMI than 51% of females aged 30-44 in the world
  • ndj1979
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My BMI is 22. It says I am below the national and global averages for my age category. In the US, I'm apparently below 91%? I'm not actually thin. I'm just medium size.

do you work out/lift weights or on any kind of training program?

If not, then you might not have that much muscle mass so for you you get the opposite which is that you register as "thin"….
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have seen this article resurface/reprint about every 3 or 4 months. Still cool though.

I went from having a BMI higher than 81% (in the USA) to having a BMI lower than 87% of my peers.

Repeats? That's the beeb for you.
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Very cool!