Chronic pain and staying active. How do you manage?

Options

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP if you are serious about surgery, please do yourself a favor - see a neurosurgeon, NOT an orthopedic surgeon.
    - As for activity, maybe start small? Like C25K? Try to do something for at least a few minutes each day, and work up. Some days you won't feel like doing anything and that's okay. Be patient with yourself and take the time you need to heal. Do physical therapy exercises to work on your core. Hang in there! :)
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was medically diagnosed several years ago with Fibromyalgia, so my situation definitely waxes and wanes. Since cleaning up my eating habits and doing some vigorous walking almost every day, I've had fewer really bad flares and have overall felt better.
    I've found that with a pair of headphones on, I can do many times more steps, stretches, whatever than without. Listening to music just adds a different dynamic to whatever I'm trying. There is some very good research to support this too. Hope you'll be able to give this a try!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I was medically diagnosed several years ago with Fibromyalgia, so my situation definitely waxes and wanes. Since cleaning up my eating habits and doing some vigorous walking almost every day, I've had fewer really bad flares and have overall felt better.
    I've found that with a pair of headphones on, I can do many times more steps, stretches, whatever than without. Listening to music just adds a different dynamic to whatever I'm trying. There is some very good research to support this too. Hope you'll be able to give this a try!

I can vouch for this. I do the same...music keeps me moving and motivated.

• angrydw4rf
    angrydw4rf Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sports medicine doctor or physical therapist.

I had 2 herniated discs, 1 from lifting something heavy improperly, and another after the ladder I was on was blown over in a gust of wind.

I could barely walk both times - months of radiating pain down my legs, numbness, and the last thing I wanted to think about was lifting weights or doing exercise, but both times this is what really helped me. Under trained instruction, of course. I have zero pain now.

It was still no quick fix, it took about 6 months to be pain free, and I still felt "stiff" pretty often for another year or so, but the improvement was steady and immediate.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say this is a great post with lots of positive responses. I think for me and my pain is to just keep moving. I went from barley able to walk a flight of stairs to 6 miles at a time. Now I have a lung issue and am having to work my way back up but when you have pain and can't breath it is hard to do so I gain a good bit of weight but all of you have been so inspiring I know I can get it back one step at a time.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Thank you for this thread. I think i will be coming back to read all of your comments when i am having self pity days. I have 2 ruptured disks and crappy insurance. I miss my chiropractor in the worst way but have managed to go medication free (on my own) in the last 6 months. At best the pills only made my brain foggy and made me sleep.

I am really hoping that weighing less + moving more = moving even more.

Are any of you ever embarrassed by your pain? I think i have that pain equals weakness mentality or something.

LOL! yes! walmart with my daughter as she fusses constantly that I should use a wheelchair. or even at work where i get questions as to why I'm there. I guess when I hurt I noticeably walk hunched over. I did notice while changing shirts that I am leaned forward and to my right. Was a bit scary to see. it eventually works out until the next flare up. I have a surgical consult the 16th.... just want it better magically.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I am really thankful that there are others out there in similar situations, sorry we all hurt, but glad we have company and there is strength in numbers.

It is rather lonely living in a world where no one understands what you are going through. I have strong days, I can kick *kitten*. And days I just want to cry and be alone, I cant manage.

Here is a group that understands/relates, I feel better. Less abnormal. Thanks everyone.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Are any of you ever embarrassed by your pain? I think i have that pain equals weakness mentality or something.

Yes..... particularly as a man. I mean, yes it's 2014 but still, in general as a man there is still the perception that you should "tough it out" and just rub some dirt on it and it will be fine. I've been dealing with lower back issues for years which are better since losing weight, but I am also working through upper back spasms which are more recent. My neighbor asked me to help him move a dresser up 2 floors in his house a few weeks ago and I said "sure!" and then promptly avoided him all weekend so I wouldn't have to actually do it. I should have just told him I couldn't - I mean I've been going to PT most of this year so I had a valid doctor's note... haha. But it's one of those things - I was just too embarrassed to admit I couldn't.

Even for women, least for me its the same. I bought the stuff to change my oil and it sat in the garage for a month before I had a stern talk with my self about if you really dont feel comfortable doing it the go pay for it. Quit waiting to be better to do it. Asking for help is hard. I feel like a cry baby when I have to use my back as a excuse to not do something.

Will rubbing dirt on it really help? Im gonna try it! JK! would just about try anything though, if i thought itd help.

I have upper back spasms too, most annoying. they even hurt around the front to my ribs. I do use an occasional muscle relaxer to help. Doc's are kind of tight with them, so i use them sparingly. I havent found anything else that will help them. Its like your body gets stuck in this pain loop.

Good luck and take care of yourself!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, and scoliosis. Fortunately, I also have a very high pain threshold. For me, I recognize a difference between pain I can ignore and work through and pain that means I need to rest. Usually, I have major problems with fatigue if my body needs to back off activity.

It took a lot for me to start moving, and the answer to keeping my pain levels managed is to keep moving. My preferred activity is walking (treadmill is fine), but all the little joints in my feet aren't always happy with that, so I mix it up with the recumbent bike. I also do strength training work with a personal trainer.

When I had my first bad bout with fibro, I sort of let it overwhelm me, and it sent me into an awful downward spiral. Now, ten years later, newly diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and in more pain thanks to the worsening disc degeneration, I'm not taking things as they come and am fighting back. Starting to exercise was one of the best decisions I ever made. Every time I don't feel like doing it, I remind myself how much my pain levels have improved.

There are times that I start out on the treadmill stiff and sore, and just taking things slowly and allowing myself time to warm up and progress to my normal rate always makes me glad I stuck with the idea of going to the gym. I always end up feeling better.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia & psoriatic arthritis. I dont think the arthris is a bother at the moment so i dont think sbout it much. I was diagnosed last year. Then to add to it i was diagnosed with fibro this year. I keep on the go as much as possible. I know i feel kore sore and more stiff when sitting still. So i try to stay on my feet and busy myself with the housekwork for as much as i can and also walk the kids to school and home everyday. I believe in pushing through the fatigue and pain when you can. I dont want to give up on life because i was given these annoying conditions. I am still young, not the old lady i sometimes feel like. I try not to have many painkillers although the fibro meds tend to tske the edge off anyway. Youve just got to push forward. Stay positive. And never give up.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia. I exercise when the pain isn't as bad and I primarily use swimming as my exercise as it's the lowest impact thing, but at a good speed it can still burn a decent amount of calories.
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Good morning! What a great post.

I am also 44, I have DDD (lumbar laminectomy in '01) and Raynaud's. I got up this morning with the intention of doing my 5x5 workout, a 30 abs challenge, abt 15 min on the elliptical trainer and a 3 mile run. Pain limited me to the ET and run.

Knowing what pain is okay to push through and what pain has to be acknowledge for me has been the key. There is so much I want to do. I will push myself, but I know when I cannot.

It looks like it is time to retire the 5x5 for the winter and go back to yoga (which is painful due to sores on toes from Ray's).

I made my own yoga routine 4 years ago that was "easy" on my back and doing it daily helps me tremendously! 21 months ago I began lifting weights (have to quit in the winter). I just began running in Aug. I have participated in 3 5ks this year and have planned an event for every month next year.

I am struggling as I get depressed in the winter, spend more days at pain levels, have to decrease my activity and eat more to sooth myself. I am trying to find non food ways to sooth myself in the winter, but so far haven't found any that work for me.

I use a naturopath for massage and would like to try acupuncture (live in a small town - nearest acupuncturist is 40 miles or so.) I would like to read what you do for winter pain relief that is not med related.

I have a TENS unit, ice and heat packs, an inversion table. I wear special gloves, warm socks, and even a hat inside to ensure I stay warm.

Have a beautifully blessed and delightfully Merry Christmas!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Weight training has helped my back and knee problems. If I stay away from it for too long (about 2 weeks or more), my knee starts to bother me first, then the back. My back problem stemmed from a severe fall "up the stairs" gashing up my whole right side of my leg. Walking off kilter for a month or so while it healed up, dominoed into my left hip having an issue which translated into a back issue. Physical therapy for 6 months after my back issue didn't resolve itself right away taught me a lot! I did have a good PT though and a great trainer outside of that that worked around my injuries.

A couple of things that people haven't mentioned would be: Learn to breathe through to your back or at least make sure that you are filling up your lungs all the way to your back. And, check out your feet and make sure you don't have collapsing arches like I do (I had this checked out when running anything more than 2 miles would kill my back the next day).

When I find that I have soreness in my back now, it is either from training my core (tiredness) the day or two before or I haven't been breathing through to my back. I have orthopedic inserts for my arch issues.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I would love to train for a 1/2 marathon or sprint triathlon or just be able to make it to the gym or a run 4-5 days a week, or bike a century. Or at the very least- train for such events....sometimes I can, sort of...

I am a 44yo female and I have chronic back pain. I am soliciting a surgeon at the moment, because after nearly 3 years of chronic pain and struggles, I feel it is inevitable. I have come a long way in the last few years. But today I'm down, resting, waiting...

I feel that I may never be able to make it to the competitive level I'd like. My journey may just be making it day by day to the best I can manage on that particular day, and remembering to not waste an opportunity.

How you you cope?

It's HARD. Every. Single. Day.

36 y/o male, 3 back surgeries, 2 spinal fusions (through front and back) from L4 down through S1 with L3 repair, knee surgery, Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, DDD, Ankylosing Spondylitis, two shot knees, and a recent heart implant.

I actually had a 9 month window where I was able to start running again after 10 years of being intermittently bedridden. In that time, I was able to work up to running races and complete two ultramarathons. Unfortunately, my running career is officially over. Again.

I'm pretty much back at the drawing board and on the elliptical machine when I am able to. But, I wouldn't trade that 9 months for anything and am grateful for every second of it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise helps. I have adult degenerative/progressive scoliosis. When I don't exercise (which includes 20-30 minutes of yoga at the end), it gets worse. If it hurts and I think it's too bad to go to the gym, I need to go because not going makes it wore, which just makes the back worse and makes me not want to go ...

I have a standing desk at work and stand during longer meetings (even if everyone else is sitting). Sitting in most chairs aggravates it.

I sleep with a heating bad on my lower back most nights. I also have a shiatsu chair massager. Regular massages helped, but they're not in my budget now.
  • Elise4270
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good morning! What a great post.

I am also 44, I have DDD (lumbar laminectomy in '01) and Raynaud's. I got up this morning with the intention of doing my 5x5 workout, a 30 abs challenge, abt 15 min on the elliptical trainer and a 3 mile run. Pain limited me to the ET and run.

Knowing what pain is okay to push through and what pain has to be acknowledge for me has been the key. There is so much I want to do. I will push myself, but I know when I cannot.

It looks like it is time to retire the 5x5 for the winter and go back to yoga (which is painful due to sores on toes from Ray's).

I made my own yoga routine 4 years ago that was "easy" on my back and doing it daily helps me tremendously! 21 months ago I began lifting weights (have to quit in the winter). I just began running in Aug. I have participated in 3 5ks this year and have planned an event for every month next year.

I am struggling as I get depressed in the winter, spend more days at pain levels, have to decrease my activity and eat more to sooth myself. I am trying to find non food ways to sooth myself in the winter, but so far haven't found any that work for me.

I use a naturopath for massage and would like to try acupuncture (live in a small town - nearest acupuncturist is 40 miles or so.) I would like to read what you do for winter pain relief that is not med related.

I have a TENS unit, ice and heat packs, an inversion table. I wear special gloves, warm socks, and even a hat inside to ensure I stay warm.

Have a beautifully blessed and delightfully Merry Christmas!

Winter gets me down too. I'm the one at work constantly opening the blinds to let the light in. No one else seem to need the natural light like I do.

For me, Staying active when its cool/cold outside is such a cyclic struggle. I lose all motivation, get achy from not staying active, will have a flare up and be depressed. Each passing year I become more consumed by the frustration of the pain and daily struggles that never seem to let up. I knew I couldn't be the only one living this way so this year to cope, I reached out to all of you. .

I think my biggest challenge is just staying positive. I feel like such a crybaby. I know I don't have it THAT bad. But still I let it get to me. It's hard to remember that I can't judge my progress by the progress of others. I feel like I am ineffective, defective even. I am afraid to push myself to far, fearing that I'll only exacerbate my condition. Or worse, I'll fail.

How do I mentally deal with the winter? Count the days until it's 80 again. Remember how much I just love my new bike, its awesome bad *kitten*. I study my old running & cycling data- see how far I've come, how many times I've made it out, how many miles I logged this year. I read runners world/womens running magazines as if I'm a seasoned marathoner. Keep my head in the game. I can't say that winter pain is any worse than any other time of the year. Its just harder because the days are cold and short and I'll mope over it.

For the physical pain- I use the inversion table and try to stay stretched, I need to swim, go to yoga, now a bit of Pilates to add core strength. I am scheduled to start PT early January- I'm hoping it wont make me cry. I am not disciplined.

I am still teetering on accepting this condition as a lifelong condition. It's not what I want. I'm still mentally fighting reality, and i don't know where I am. I imagine with Raynauds winter adds extra challenges. They make gear for bikers (motorcycle) that are heated. I wonder if something of the sort would be helpful to you?

I haven't tried acupuncture. I've had a massage, once. I'm kinda neurotic, not real comfortable with people touching me. And like psychgrrl, it's just not in the budget.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Weight training has helped my back and knee problems. If I stay away from it for too long (about 2 weeks or more), my knee starts to bother me first, then the back. My back problem stemmed from a severe fall "up the stairs" gashing up my whole right side of my leg. Walking off kilter for a month or so while it healed up, dominoed into my left hip having an issue which translated into a back issue. Physical therapy for 6 months after my back issue didn't resolve itself right away taught me a lot! I did have a good PT though and a great trainer outside of that that worked around my injuries.

A couple of things that people haven't mentioned would be: Learn to breathe through to your back or at least make sure that you are filling up your lungs all the way to your back. And, check out your feet and make sure you don't have collapsing arches like I do (I had this checked out when running anything more than 2 miles would kill my back the next day).

When I find that I have soreness in my back now, it is either from training my core (tiredness) the day or two before or I haven't been breathing through to my back. I have orthopedic inserts for my arch issues.

I hear ya on the one injury causing another pain. I "hurt" my foot when I was 10 jumping off a bike rolling down hill. I didn't get the landing and think I broke my foot or tore something. Swelled up like a cantaloupe. I limped all summer and couldn't put weight on it for a good while. It still bothers me to this day. Anyhow, I'm incline to think that this injury (unaddressed ever-bitter about that, but that's another issue) caused or at least aggravated this back condition. I'm just getting back the use in my left glute because through all of this I lost neural contact with that muscle, muscle inactivation/amnesia sort of thing. That's scary, to one day realize you can not engage a muscle. The old foot injury is probably responsible for the shin splints I've battled the last few years too.

Yes, everyone out there, one injury not rehabbed properly can cause such an imbalance it causes chronic injuries. Horribly frustrating information when you are 35 years down that road.

I have a great challenge before me. But first a nap.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Stretching is key to staying active. Any form that is not painful is the beginning of the journey. I first learned basic poses at an ashram, moved onto the Anderson's book so I didn't have to go anywhere, taught a gentle couples class, went through the gym phase until it became counterproductive. Anderson's book covers stretch sequences for most sports and life circumstances and a quick search shows it's been updated for modern technology.

Once you know the poses you can incorporate stretching into daily life all day long. I even lay in bed on really bad days and stretch & appreciate the cushioning on these aging bones. An amazing thing happened a few years ago. A personal trainer gifted me a flow sequence that takes 5-10 minutes a day. I do it most days & one day when I went to complete the final pose it slipped all my vertabrae right into place. ... pop pop pop pop. It feels delightful.

I was an uber dedicated runner/cyclist/gym rat for 25 years ... and then I wasn't. I am officially disabled and my exercise now consists of doing real life activities with gusto. Gardening, cleaning, cooking ... everything burns calories so you can be kind to yourself, get the chores done, work at your own pace & enjoyment level while burning substantial calories.

Anyone who would like the flow sequence please feel free to message me. Peace & best wishes for a pain free fit lifestyle.
  • Shawnuhhbauss
    Shawnuhhbauss Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is not just the pain of my back issue but the fear of making it worse that was and still is sometimes my worst enemy. I have a dysfunctional sacroiliac joint that can "pop" at any time and I am constantly mentally warning myself to "be careful" even when just bending down to do up my shoelace or something. My physio told me that moving is key and the fear of putting my back out was interfering with my recovery. Overcoming that fear and actually exercising is still a struggle for me. But I do feel so much better when I have managed to hit the gym.

I have the dysfunctional sacroiliac joint as well, the pain is unbearable and any sudden move can bring on the sharp stabbing pains at the slightest move. Its awful. I also have bulging disks in my neck, c4-5, c5-6, and c6-7. They are considering surgery right now. AND degenerative disk disease. Its really hard to believe and cope with that at 25 years old I have all these issues. Before this, I had finally lost the weight I had wanted and was content. With fear of hurting myself and the actual pain of these things I have managed to gain almost all the weight back. Everyday has been a struggle to actually do daily activities, exercise is almost scary. I have set small weekly goals for myself in hopes to finally get to a point where I can get back to where I was. I realize this is going to be a long road. But I am ready to stop being so depressed and worried and just get up and do what I need to. I hope you can get past the fear as I hope I can too. I know this struggle!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I am 3 weeks into physical therapy for my sciatic pain. Its been well worth it. I just wonder why I wasnt reccomended to PT 3 years ago.
    Core strength has been key.