treadmill questions

Options
It was rainy earlier this week, so I approached the gym treadmill.

The first time, I felt disoriented when I got off. After 20 minutes of walking along staring at the unchanging scenery outside the window, it was weird to start walking again and actually have things move. Has anyone else experienced this?

The second day, it seemed like my knees were bothering more than they would have striding at a similar pace outdoors. I would have thought the treadmill was actually lower impact than a concrete sidewalk, no?

Does anyone have any advice? I really liked the ability to track my current speed and change the incline, but I felt like a klutz trying to get comfortable on the machine.

Replies

• Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was kind of like that when I switched to treadmill for winter. Just a little disorientation. It passed.

Now, I'm working out at my sister's on her treadmill this week, different environment and treadmill. I've experienced it a little again.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a walking cool down? If I run and then jump right off I experience this. The treadmill gives me an unnatural gait so I try to regulate my pace a little different than when I'm outdoors.
  • mrscronkhite
    Options
    I had the same problem. Was walking the track everyday, but now that it's gotten colder, I've headed inside. The other problem I'm having is shin splints. If I had them before, they worked them self out after the first half mile, but now that I'm on the treadmill they seem to get progressively worse.....any suggestions??
  • mrscronkhite
    Options
    And yes, I'm stretching before and after....
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I've had issues transitioning before, but I don't really have any issues now. The gait and foot strike patterns are a little different than running on pavement, you're working different muscles. Take it slow and easy for a bit to acclimate yourself to it before going full bore and trying to match your pavement speeds. If you spend a lot of time running on the treadmill then try to get back outdoors, you may find yourself in a similar situation, go slow and easy to start out with to acclimate your body to the differences.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Was walking the track everyday, but now that it's gotten colder, I've headed inside. The other problem I'm having is shin splints. If I had them before, they worked them self out after the first half mile, but now that I'm on the treadmill they seem to get progressively worse.....any suggestions??

Better shoes
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The disorientation thing used to happen to me too but you get used to it.

I also make sure to increase my pace slowly, not just start out right off the bang and then slow down on the other end.

Personally, I start at 2mph and increase 0.2 every 30 sec, sometimes once I hit 3 mph I wait a full minute before increasing 0.2, depends on how I'm feeling! For reference I walk at 4 to 4.2 mph and run at speeds faster, I cool down in the same way.

I have noticed that taking the time for that has led to no shin splints or feet issues. I have also heard walking on a slight incline reduces the impact, I am not sure of this. I do walk at incline sometimes and don't notice a difference either way impact-wise.
  • LoriIAM
    LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My knees prefer an Eliptical Trainer, but you may not have one at your gym. Also stretching...good advice.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    And yes, I'm stretching before and after....

And having a long enough warm-up? That's alleviated shin pain for me.
  • fosteram27
    fosteram27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Compression sleeves/socks, I can't run without them anymore. I recommend CEP, they're a bit pricier but totally worth it.

• Myridian
    Options
    As has been mentioned by others, the orientation problem does improve with practice.

One of the big problems with treadmill vs. running outdoors is that there is little variation in the stresses on your legs when you're on a treadmill. Even on pavement, you're using more muscles to microcorrect for changes in the surface which changes the stresses on your legs. Of late I am exclusively running treadmill as I prepare for my next marathon and I intentionally vary the incline and speed over the course of my runs. That seems to help a lot. I also use 1% as a default rather than 0% incline. As was also mentioned above, a slight incline seems to help with the knee pain for me. Another thing I've noticed is that if the stiffness on the two sides of the treadmill are set slightly differently I can end up with more knee pain (I guess this changes my gait in small ways?).

Good luck! Treadmills are really handy, but I still like outside best when I can get it. :-)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    This threads serves as a resounding confirmation of my decision to not run on treadmills. I will run in sub-zero weather in a howling wind before I take my chances on the mill....
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Myridian wrote: »
    As has been mentioned by others, the orientation problem does improve with practice.

One of the big problems with treadmill vs. running outdoors is that there is little variation in the stresses on your legs when you're on a treadmill. Even on pavement, you're using more muscles to microcorrect for changes in the surface which changes the stresses on your legs. Of late I am exclusively running treadmill as I prepare for my next marathon and I intentionally vary the incline and speed over the course of my runs. That seems to help a lot. I also use 1% as a default rather than 0% incline. As was also mentioned above, a slight incline seems to help with the knee pain for me. Another thing I've noticed is that if the stiffness on the two sides of the treadmill are set slightly differently I can end up with more knee pain (I guess this changes my gait in small ways?).

Good luck! Treadmills are really handy, but I still like outside best when I can get it. :-)

This is a good summary. It's mostly a matter of adaptation. I have the same problem in reverse. I've had so many injuries in the past 10-15 years, I've had to do 90+% of what running I could do on a treadmill, so it's become an old, trusted friend. When I go outside, at first I not only feel like the scenery is going by at warp speed, I feel like I am going to lose my balance and fall over.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    At the end of your cooldown just keep slowing it down more and more until you're barely walking before you stop it. That should help a lot.

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have been running regularly the past few months and this weekend I tried to run on the treadmill. I was all excited to run. But I got off in a matter of minutes. I found the treadmill affected my gait and I could feel the impact in my shins every step. When you run your feet should hit the ground underneath you. When I was on the treadmill my foot was always impacting ahead of my body. I have decided against the treadmill in the future.

My shin splints were most likely caused by tight calves, my sore knees by a tight IT Band. If you haven't yet, I suggest you look up foam rolling.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    LoriIAM wrote: »
    My knees prefer an Eliptical Trainer, but you may not have one at your gym. Also stretching...good advice.

We do, and I haven't tried it yet. I thought I remembered it bothering my hip, but then I haven't been on one in about 10 years, so perhaps it is time to give it another go.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    This threads serves as a resounding confirmation of my decision to not run on treadmills. I will run in sub-zero weather in a howling wind before I take my chances on the mill....

Likewise :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are like mental torture. Give me a dirt trail in the hills any day...
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I get like that every time I walk on the treadmill. I get very dizzy and nauseated when I step off and it takes me a long time to recover from the nausea.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary: treadmills, stretching (before and after)
    Necessary: properly fitted shoes, running outside