Not much support at home?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else seems to have a lack of support from their family, specifically from the significant others. My husband met me when I was very healthy and I got even healthier once we were married. But after a loss in my family I started to let my eating and working out habits go down hill. He has often mentioned that we both need to loose weight and made a few comments here and there about my weight (non of which was said to hurt me but to make sure I realize that I was still getting bigger and doing nothing about it). Yet last night he and I went out to dinner and he laughed at me when I modified the dish I ordered to make it healthier, and asked for a box as soon as I ordered (so I could put half of it away to ensure I would not over eat). this is not the first time something like this has happened and it has me feeling very unsupported.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, support is a luxury, and not necessary to succeed. If all of us single people and people with no family can do it - so can you!

Good luck!!!!!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to him about why you are doing these things specifically? Or that it bothers you when he scoffs at you for making choices that will get you where you want to be?

If he also needs to lose weight, it can be hard for him to deal with the fact that you are actually doing something about it. Don't worry, it would probably be hard for you to deal with the fact that even if he were on board, he would get to eat half again as much and possibly still lose weight faster.

As Yoovie said, you need to stay focused on you. Part of that can be telling him to STFU when you need to (although, if you value your relationship, you should probably find other words).
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    As long as he is not preventing you from making the changes you feel you need to make, then I would not be worried at all. My husband chuckled at me weighing and logging for a few months, then saw the progress I was making and stopped.

If I were you, I'd just pull a face and let it pass. I'm a firm believer in not expecting anyone else to support you on what is, essentially, a solitary endeavor, which requires a certain amount of selfishness (in a good way...).
  • Kgerber777
    Kgerber777 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to him about why you are doing these things specifically? Or that it bothers you when he scoffs at you for making choices that will get you where you want to be?

If he also needs to lose weight, it can be hard for him to deal with the fact that you are actually doing something about it. Don't worry, it would probably be hard for you to deal with the fact that even if he were on board, he would get to eat half again as much and possibly still lose weight faster.

As Yoovie said, you need to stay focused on you. Part of that can be telling him to STFU when you need to (although, if you value your relationship, you should probably find other words).

I have talked to him some and he said that he has seen me try to loose weight before and because it didn't last he does not want to get on board. Your both right it is not necessary to have his support (it would be nice but I am ok without) I just need to keep a good attitude and eventually he will see the results and adjust to my new way of life
  • Kgerber777
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in not expecting anyone else to support you on what is, essentially, a solitary endeavor, which requires a certain amount of selfishness (in a good way...).
    I had never thought about it like that before but very true! Thanks for the words of wisdom!

• mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Kgerber777 wrote: »

I have talked to him some and he said that he has seen me try to loose weight before and because it didn't last he does not want to get on board. Your both right it is not necessary to have his support (it would be nice but I am ok without) I just need to keep a good attitude and eventually he will see the results and adjust to my new way of life

Seriously? And no kidding on this one.... he could STFU or get the F out!!!! His choice. Why do people tolerate being treated in this manner????? I cannot tell you how angry this makes me - at the people putting up with this BS!!!!!! BTW - no, I'm not married and not sad about it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Seriously? And no kidding on this one.... he could STFU or get the F out!!!! His choice. Why do people tolerate being treated in this manner????? I cannot tell you how angry this makes me - at the people putting up with this BS!!!!!! BTW - no, I'm not married and not sad about it.

Whoa... :noway:
  • yoovie
    Options

like... 'baby... relax n let mama show you how awesome i am.'

• yoovie
    Options

Absolutely! And won't it be wonderful to surprise him in the very best way!!!

Sometimes we cry wolf too often, claiming to be serious about it too many times. Then we have to lay in the bed we made, and do without support because we called for it too many times when we weren't serious.

That doesn't mean we can't succeed when we finally really are serious.

That's when we actually make it happen, alone or not!

• yoovie
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in not expecting anyone else to support you on what is, essentially, a solitary endeavor, which requires a certain amount of selfishness (in a good way...).

this

• shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm coming at it from a man's perspective, and I'm not defending anyone, but is it possible that he has a dry sense of humor and tries to make jokes of everything (not knowing him). I know I'm that way, and by me joking about it, would be my acknowledging the fact your doing something to improve yourself. Would be 100% harmless, although my wife would probably take it the same way you are. (Only a suggestion, because it sounds eerily familiar). Do I know you??????? Just kidding.

Again, we would really have to know him like you know him to be pin point on making suggestions, but for the mean time, own it and do what you feel is in YOUR best interest. He will come around, especially if what you said about him not believing it will stick! That would be my greatest motivation! Let it by yours.

Good luck.
  • Kgerber777
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Sometimes we cry wolf too often, claiming to be serious about it too many times. Then we have to lay in the bed we made, and do without support because we called for it too many times when we weren't serious.

That doesn't mean we can't succeed when we finally really are serious.

That's when we actually make it happen, alone or not!
    So true!!!

• yoovie
    edited December 2014
    Options

because FIRST OF ALL you are talking about the person who is holding your heart, the one you are partners with! If you are constantly telling someone that you are doing something and then dont do it - eventually they will wait for you to prove it. This is not an abusive relationship. He isn't standing in the way of her success and nothing he is doing is BS.

People who have never been married can't even begin to know what ups and downs you go through together or what your personal relationship dynamic is about.

Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean "he should STFU or get the F out". Some of the things we learn most of all besides discipline is 1) not blaming others because we can't reach success and 2) patience is vital and 3) this is our struggle and no one else's obligation.

For all we know, he may be slyly pushing her buttons in order to get her to stick to it, because he knows her better than anyone else.

Right?

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, support is a luxury, and not necessary to succeed. If all of us single people and people with no family can do it - so can you!

Good luck!!!!!!

Support is a luxury and not necessary to succeed. Being single and people with no family are entirely different from having someone by your side every day taunting, teasing, eating lots of unhealthy foods, etc.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You should try to learn to laugh at yourself I think. Most people don't order a box for the food right away (it's a good idea though!) so it seems odd, right? What's wrong with laughing a little? Laugh with him, keep doing what you need to and I think you'll be happier and you'll get healthier. It's not that he isn't supporting you. He can support you and find the methods amusing at the same time. Just take it for face value, don't read much into it.
  • Kgerber777
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    You should try to learn to laugh at yourself I think. Most people don't order a box for the food right away (it's a good idea though!) so it seems odd, right? What's wrong with laughing a little? Laugh with him, keep doing what you need to and I think you'll be happier and you'll get healthier. It's not that he isn't supporting you. He can support you and find the methods amusing at the same time. Just take it for face value, don't read much into it.
    Very true!

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

If it's a constant pattern of belittlement, I would agree. I was married to a man who was physically and emotionally abusive and I also find it upsetting when people stay in those situations--even though I completely understand that just like weight loss, only YOU can decide when enough is enough.

But I don't know that OP should leave her partner. I think she'd be better served by sitting down with him and telling him that these comments bug her and she could really use the support.

And like other posters have said, she needs to find the motivation within herself. best of luck! I believe in you.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Him laughing at you would be hurtful, so I'm sorry about that. However, the only thing you can do is be consistent. Take care of yourself whether anyone else believes in you or not. I would mention it briefly every time he shows doubt in you that you're going to try your best this time, you can't make any promises, but it's hurtful to you to be doubted. Not get angry or turn it into a long conversation. Just a comment on your part. He gets to make his comment and you respond. Period. JMHO.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

because FIRST OF ALL you are talking about the person who is holding your heart, the one you are partners with! If you are constantly telling someone that you are doing something and then dont do it - eventually they will wait for you to prove it. This is not an abusive relationship. He isn't standing in the way of her success and nothing he is doing is BS.

People who have never been married can't even begin to know what ups and downs you go through together or what your personal relationship dynamic is about.

Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean "he should STFU or get the F out". Some of the things we learn most of all besides discipline is 1) not blaming others because we can't reach success and 2) patience is vital and 3) this is our struggle and no one else's obligation.

For all we know, he may be slyly pushing her buttons in order to get her to stick to it, because he knows her better than anyone else.

Right?

Bolded part - so true. Just like my bf will say he'll be home at such and such a time. I now add 1.5 hrs to that and if he's not home by then, then I get worried. I used to worry after 30 mins, since I am the kind of person who was required to come home when I said I would as a kid (his parents are for sure more loose about that kind of thing). It's at the point when he'll say "I'll be home by midnight" and I respond with "ok, see you at 1:30 or so... you should probably start telling the truth" and then we both laugh.
  • Kgerber777
    Options

If it's a constant pattern of belittlement, I would agree. I was married to a man who was physically and emotionally abusive and I also find it upsetting when people stay in those situations--even though I completely understand that just like weight loss, only YOU can decide when enough is enough.

But I don't know that OP should leave her partner. I think she'd be better served by sitting down with him and telling him that these comments bug her and she could really use the support.

And like other posters have said, she needs to find the motivation within herself. best of luck! I believe in you.

thank you for your words of wisdom. I do want to make myself clear however my husband is a good man who loves me very much and I don't believe he meant to hurt me with his words/laughing. His is not abusive towards. His is my best friend. =)