One Month Keto Challenge

I am trying something I've never tried before: Trying to find ketosis through high fat/protein and low carbs.
I have 30 Lbs to lose and Looking for a buddy/buddies who is/are interested in being my accountability partners/s and join me in this one month keto challenge.
I've read and heard amazing things but I'm new to the process and it requires discipline and precision. It would be great to work towards this goal with support!

Replies

• Why one month?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    I would look into one of the keto groups here and talk to them before giving this a go, especially if you are only trying 30 days, since the first two weeks of low carb/keto are supposedly really rough with the "carb flu."

Most of the people in the groups have been doing low carb/keto for awhile and would be able to give you good advice on how to set your macros (for example, I believe it is supposed to be high fat, moderate protein, and low carb, not high fat/protein) and the pros and cons of this eating style. @Ladymiseryali and @hookilau are two posters I've seen around who have done low carb/keto long term, and are very knowledgeable, upfront, and honest about what to expect.

If you do a search under groups, you should be able to find them, I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but someone else might be able to pop in with a link.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    It took me two months to get the carbs down to <50 grams a day. It will take 30-60 days to become keto adapted (running on ketones vs main only glucose.

The first month was rough for me but some if it may have been due to adjusting to 1000-1500 calories a day of coconut oil. Initially my objective was pain relief using the coconut oil then later I learned about ketosis and evolved to VLC when I cut the carbs to cut some of the pain.

One I my current view should give a min of 90 days commitment. It is a life style change instead of a diet. Once you get on it and get it tweaked to work for your body then one should plan to stay on it for life but that is not 100 more years in my case. :)
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited December 2014
    Kate, I'm just curious why you are wanting to try this. Most of us have some motivation for going on a LCHF diet, so I'd be interested in hearing yours. Is it just weight loss? I want to caution that Keto can be extreme for some people, especially when compared to other low carb diets like Atkins and Paleo.

My wife and I started on Keto about a month ago. In my case, I started on it because of a diabetes diagnosis. Prior to that I had been struggling with prediabetes for about 7 years or so. So my motivation was to reverse course. The good news is that it's worked tremendously, and as a side benefit I've lost 21 lbs since starting it. My wife has lost 10. She's on the diet mainly to support me.

It took a good week to reach ketosis but, rather than starting slowly, I just jumped in with both feet. The most difficult part to deal with is the headaches as your body goes through carb withdrawal while it switches over to fueling with ketones instead of glucose. That can last a week. During this period you'll want to up your water intake and electrolytes, including sodium, because you'll be expelling a lot of these minerals. I found that taking a low dose magnesium-potassium supplement and drinking a cup of hot bouillon before bed helped immensely.

There's a general misconception that Keto is a high fat AND high protein diet, but that really isn't the case. True, most of your calories will come from fat. But consuming copious amounts of protein is a recipe for disaster, since your body will convert excess protein into glucose and throw you out of ketosis. I learned this the hard way. Instead, you base your daily protein intake on your lean body mass, generally 1 to 1.5 gms protein for every kilo of lean body mass (Google "Keto calculator" to find this number). And don't forget that protein can be hidden in many foods, particularly dairy and vegetables.

Lastly, I would suggest starting very simple, so that you learn how to adjust your meals so they work best for you. There will be an overwhelming urge to immediately start making Keto pizzas and baking goodies with almond flour. Instead, start with a simple protein, a cup of vegetables, and the proper amount of fat. On the first week, I added most of my fats (usually in the form of butter or olive oil) to my already cooked food. I will tell you there is something very satisfying about putting a big tablespoon of butter on otherwise boring broccoli or spinach, especially after being told for years that it's bad for you. :smile:

Anyway... good luck! I don't consider myself to be an expert at this early stage, but if there's anything I can do to help, just holler.

-Steve
  • GaleHawkins
    SteveKroll above post should be a must read. Low carb high fat diets calls for a real reason like, "If I do not do something different I am going to suffer a lot before I die" kind of motivation. I got on Coconut oil for pain management that evolved to learning about ketosis and it possible health benefits for some. I got my pain under control without having to start taking cancer causing medication for my pain.

Remember there is no magic out there but there are foods that make some of us feel worse and some food that makes us feel better.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited December 2014
    We've got 45 days left in a 90 Day Challenge here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100212-low-carb-challenge

Here's the Keto group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Low Carber Daily Forum has many keto folk as well:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

I've been doing Keto for just over 6mo myself. More than welcome to friend me if you feel like it. But do visit the groups.
  • Katedineo
    Katedineo Posts: 10 Member
    Wow, I appreciate all the responses. I am at the very beginning of this journey doing research and figure out how i need to approach this. I am trying keto because as long as i can remember i have had a sever sugar intolerance and wheat allergy and when i eat carbs i get out of control cravings! I am tryng to reset my system, get my dependency off sugar and carbs and create some balance in my life. I have also been struggling to lose 30 lbs for some time now and it is contributing to low mood. My intention is to stay on keto as long as needed. Why i suggested one month was so i gave myself a realistic goal. As i learn more and read more I am sure I will modify.
    I intention with me post was to find some support as i know it will be rough with the cravings i experience.
    Thanks for all the imput!!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    Katedineo wrote: »
    Wow, I appreciate all the responses. I am at the very beginning of this journey doing research and figure out how i need to approach this. I am trying keto because as long as i can remember i have had a sever sugar intolerance and wheat allergy and when i eat carbs i get out of control cravings! I am tryng to reset my system, get my dependency off sugar and carbs and create some balance in my life. I have also been struggling to lose 30 lbs for some time now and it is contributing to low mood. My intention is to stay on keto as long as needed. Why i suggested one month was so i gave myself a realistic goal. As i learn more and read more I am sure I will modify.
    I intention with me post was to find some support as i know it will be rough with the cravings i experience.

Sounds like a good plan. There is so much to learn and unlearn in my case due to my age. I read more every day and sometimes the light bulb lights up. Getting off of sugar (yes the cravings do leave) had been very helpful already in my case.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Katedineo wrote: »

Have you seen a doctor about intolerances and allergies and done a proper elimination diet? If not, you may want to start there to determine exactly what is going on. I would imagine a sugar intolerance would severely limit your dietary choices with fruits and vegetables as well.