Connecting Garmin Connect to Myfitnesspal

Options
2»

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    so...last night's workout (which I logged in GC around 10:30pm) just synced about a half hour ago (10:30am). This morning's swim (which I logged in GC at 9:30am is still missing....so maybe they're working on it?
  • beautifulciera
    beautifulciera Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    nothing for me yet...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My run from yesterday morning finally showed up last night around midnight. LOL
  • gobonas99
    Options
    I think I figured part of it out!!! At least for manual GC workout entries!

I was in GC looking at my "calories in/out" summary section and noticed that it showed 866 cals for my activity for today...I thought that was very odd, considering that my swim this morning only burned 544 cals....so I went in and looked at the activities in the detailed calories in/out module and saw that my lifting workout from Sunday night was showing for Monday, and nothing was showing for Sunday, and my lifting workout from Tuesday was showing for today! so I went back into my activities mod and saw that my sunday workout had 12/1 as 12:28pm on it (in the activity list)....but when I went into the activity itself, it was correct at 11/30 at 7:28pm....same thing for my Tuesday night workout.

hmmmm....so I decided to go in an edit the workout - my time zone was showing as greenwich meantime, instead of eastern! I changed it to eastern on all three workouts (sun and tues lifting, and today's swim), and my swim appeared in MFP immediately!!!

I don't remember if I forgot to set the timezone (I could see forgetting on one but not three in four days) or if Garmin changed it on me.....but try checking that for your manual entries.
  • joshyu
    joshyu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble with the sync too... Fingers crossed
  • beautifulciera
    beautifulciera Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Im syncing again!! FINALLY :)
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've got synching! Wonky at times but working!
  • nikmaack
    nikmaack Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I logged a work out at MFP of 800 calories (riding an elliptical trainer for over an hour). When I looked at the Garmin Connect website, it told me I'd burned 10,000 calories of activities that day. What the heck?

After poking around, I discovered the MFP had sent that one activity to GC over 10 times. No idea why.

I've since disconnected the synch between MFP and GC and don't plan on synching them again. At least, not until I hear it's fixed.

Additionally, even when it was working, the results were a bit off.

I would walk 40 minutes. Manually entering this into MFP, it would estimate this to be around 200 calories. Garmin's VivoSmart assesses a 40 minute walk as around 130 calories.

My way of assessing my activity levels (tons of walking) would get me around 700 calories burned in a day. Garmin would assess it at around 400. Which is a large discrepancy.

As with all pedometers and fitness measuring tools, your mileage will vary. I never know who to believe, but I'm not quite crazy enough to go out and buy a heart monitoring strap just to calculate calories burned walking to work, at lunch, and home from work.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mine synced yesterday's run and today's run automatically almost immediately so looks like they fixed it!
  • gobonas99
    Options
    nikmaack wrote: »
    I logged a work out at MFP of 800 calories (riding an elliptical trainer for over an hour). When I looked at the Garmin Connect website, it told me I'd burned 10,000 calories of activities that day. What the heck?

After poking around, I discovered the MFP had sent that one activity to GC over 10 times. No idea why.

I've since disconnected the synch between MFP and GC and don't plan on synching them again. At least, not until I hear it's fixed.

Um...you're using it backwards...you should be logging exercise in Garmin Connect, which then syncs to MFP.

Also, 800 Cals for an hour on an elliptical is REALLY high....you wouldn't burn that much in an hour of running (which has a high calorie burn than the elliptical).
    Additionally, even when it was working, the results were a bit off.

I would walk 40 minutes. Manually entering this into MFP, it would estimate this to be around 200 calories. Garmin's VivoSmart assesses a 40 minute walk as around 130 calories.

My way of assessing my activity levels (tons of walking) would get me around 700 calories burned in a day. Garmin would assess it at around 400. Which is a large discrepancy.

Sorry to be a downer, but the Garmin calc is MUCH more accurate than the MFP estimate.
    As with all pedometers and fitness measuring tools, your mileage will vary. I never know who to believe, but I'm not quite crazy enough to go out and buy a heart monitoring strap just to calculate calories burned walking to work, at lunch, and home from work.

You already have the Vivofit. the $50 for the HRM to go with it would be a good investment. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    Sorry to be a downer, but the Garmin calc is MUCH more accurate than the MFP estimate.

You already have the Vivofit. the $50 for the HRM to go with it would be a good investment. :)

Whilst I'd agree that the Vivofit estimate is probably more accurate than the MFP estimate it can depend on whether the Vivofit is set up properly. That said, 400 calories for a day including about 10k steps is maybe a little low.

For walking I'd be very surprised is the HRM provided any more utility. The vivofit is designed to assess very low intensity activity, the HRM component designed to be activated when doing more strenuous training.
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    nikmaack wrote: »

Um...you're using it backwards...you should be logging exercise in Garmin Connect, which then syncs to MFP.

Also, 800 Cals for an hour on an elliptical is REALLY high....you wouldn't burn that much in an hour of running (which has a high calorie burn than the elliptical).

I agree with everything said except that 800 Cals/hour is really high. Calories burned depends a lot on how much one weighs. I weigh about 180 and usually burn a little over 800 calories an hour of running. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    larrewl wrote: »
    I agree with everything said except that 800 Cals/hour is really high. Calories burned depends a lot on how much one weighs. I weigh about 180 and usually burn a little over 800 calories an hour of running. :)

I'll burn about 100 cals per mile, so in about an hour I'm looking at about 600 cals, more if I'm on trails.

Regardless of that, it's still high for an hour on an elliptihell.
  • simonburge
    simonburge Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    Options
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1781541--myfitnesspal-and-garmin-withings-sync-issues reports that the Garmin Connect issues are resolved. I disconnected and tried to reconnect to Garmin Connect a couple of times over the last week. Now the "Connect" button on the Garmin Connect app page (https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/120) takes me to an iTunes page. I don't have iTunes installed, and am not sure on what iTunes has to do with Garmin Connect.