In your 20s without much to lose?

Options

Replies

• abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 20 and just entered the "10 lbs. to go" weight range today! :)

Stats:
    5'2"
    SW: 155 lbs.
    CW: 129.8 lbs.
    GW: 120 lbs. (although I may go down to 115 to have some wiggle room for maintenance)

I am a second-year college student and am lucky enough to be able to make my own healthy meals! I swim for an hour twice a week, and then the other 5 days split my time between cardio (Zumba or treadmill usually), strength, and yoga.

My diary is open, feel free to add me! :)
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 20 and just entered the "10 lbs. to go" weight range today! :)

Stats:
    5'2"
    SW: 155 lbs.
    CW: 129.8 lbs.
    GW: 120 lbs. (although I may go down to 115 to have some wiggle room for maintenance)

I am a second-year college student and am lucky enough to be able to make my own healthy meals! I swim for an hour twice a week, and then the other 5 days split my time between cardio (Zumba or treadmill usually), strength, and yoga.

My diary is open, feel free to add me! :)

hey congratulations!! :)
    haha know what you mean. I'm going back into uni accomodation soon and i'm a bit apprehensive about eating in the canteen rather than making my own meals!

I've added you!
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    madiao wrote: »
    amy0louise wrote: »
    Ah I'm glad!!
    Yeah it's so tough- I'm happy with the rest of me but it seems to be the last place I'll lose! Gotta keep up with it though...!

I'll be done around the 15th which will be nice! Yes I'm a bit concerned about Christmas as it will be my first year watching my weight over that period!!

So I think my plan so far is to have 3 complete days off (but still logged!) 24/5/6, and then I think I'm going to just aim for maintenance around the rest of those two Christmassy weeks (especially those strange days between Xmas and nye ha).
    I think this will be more achievable than expecting myself to stick to normal calorie goals? And this way I'll hopefully not blow it completely...

What are your strategies?! Would be very interested to know!

It always seems to be the last place I loose too, it sucks!

I'm planning to not count on Christmas or Boxing day, my birthday is also a few days after that so I wont be counting that day either, but every other day will just be a regular day :)

Are you planning any extra exercise for those weeks?

----

So what does everyone do for work/study? And what do you all like to do in your spare time? :)

haha it really does...!

Oh okay cool!

hmmm I mean, I guess the ideal way to offset Christmas dinner would be to get some more running done, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to exercise every day or whatever, because I'll be going back to uni early and wanna be prepared for that. So I think I'm just gonna work on keeping up my usual runs! I might try and do some more walking instead though.

How about you?
    Mind if I ask- are you from the UK or is boxing day also a thing in other countries?!

I think if we were all with others who had the same mindset, Christmas would be easy to have a day off and then get back on it. But the hardest thing will be not getting dragged into other family members' desire to eat for the entire Christmas holidays haha.
  • maria0elisa
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ah I'm glad!!
    Yeah it's so tough- I'm happy with the rest of me but it seems to be the last place I'll lose! Gotta keep up with it though...!

I'll be done around the 15th which will be nice! Yes I'm a bit concerned about Christmas as it will be my first year watching my weight over that period!!

So I think my plan so far is to have 3 complete days off (but still logged!) 24/5/6, and then I think I'm going to just aim for maintenance around the rest of those two Christmassy weeks (especially those strange days between Xmas and nye ha).
    I think this will be more achievable than expecting myself to stick to normal calorie goals? And this way I'll hopefully not blow it completely...

What are your strategies?! Would be very interested to know!

It always seems to be the last place I loose too, it sucks!

I'm planning to not count on Christmas or Boxing day, my birthday is also a few days after that so I wont be counting that day either, but every other day will just be a regular day :)

Are you planning any extra exercise for those weeks?

----

So what does everyone do for work/study? And what do you all like to do in your spare time? :)

Oh sorry, I missed the last part of your post haha ! I'm in my last year of my undergrad. I'm technically a little too old to be still doing undergrad because I had a couple of exchange years out abroad. Unsurprisingly I study languages & literature/cinema!!
    In my spare time I love music (if anyone's also on soundcloud!) mainly electronic and kind of I guess indie, so I like going out and going to gigs. I'm also pretty into current affairs so I like reading the papers/listening to the radio etc.
    I used to be so bad at cooking but I've started to really enjoy it since using mfp, so I've got into that too!
    How about you?
  • Kgerber777
    Kgerber777 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am part time student and I work full time as a teller at a bank. I am 23 years old, I do have more to loose than 10 lbs. but I was only 10 lbs. over weight at one point (sure wish I would have taken that 10 lbs. seriously rather than letting it get out of control). I need to loose between 70-75 lbs. to reach my goal weight ( I am going more by how I look/feel rather than a number). I eat about 1800 calories a day and try to fit in walks in the evenings.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i'm 24, have about 10 lbs to lose as well. i'm 5' 4", highest weight was 192 when i was 15. i lost 55 lbs then over the course of 5 years gained 35 of those back... since september 2013 when i joined MFP and gave my diet a real overhaul (i was always exercising a lot, just not keeping track of my calories well) i've lost 48 lbs and am now at 119 lbs, the lowest i've ever been in my adult life! i hope to get to 110 and then start a body recomp (i do some strength but mostly cardio since i'm still focused on losing weight). these last few lbs are coming off sloooooowwwwlly but i'm determined to get them off!
  • xxNatalie34xx
    xxNatalie34xx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hight: 63cm /5'3"
    SW: 200
    CW: 159
    GW:135
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    haha it really does...!

Oh okay cool!

hmmm I mean, I guess the ideal way to offset Christmas dinner would be to get some more running done, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to exercise every day or whatever, because I'll be going back to uni early and wanna be prepared for that. So I think I'm just gonna work on keeping up my usual runs! I might try and do some more walking instead though.

How about you?
    Mind if I ask- are you from the UK or is boxing day also a thing in other countries?!

I think if we were all with others who had the same mindset, Christmas would be easy to have a day off and then get back on it. But the hardest thing will be not getting dragged into other family members' desire to eat for the entire Christmas holidays haha.

Oh sorry, I missed the last part of your post haha ! I'm in my last year of my undergrad. I'm technically a little too old to be still doing undergrad because I had a couple of exchange years out abroad. Unsurprisingly I study languages & literature/cinema!!
    In my spare time I love music (if anyone's also on soundcloud!) mainly electronic and kind of I guess indie, so I like going out and going to gigs. I'm also pretty into current affairs so I like reading the papers/listening to the radio etc.
    I used to be so bad at cooking but I've started to really enjoy it since using mfp, so I've got into that too!
    How about you?

I'm from Aus actually, we celebrate Boxing Day down here too. It would be nice to be spending those days with other calorie conscious individuals but I love my family anyway haha. I'm hoping to fit in some exercise early in the morning even on the holidays, mostly because it makes me feel good :)

That's cool! I would love to go back to uni and study literature! Do you enjoy it?

I love music too :) electronic/dance/indie.. well a bit of everything. Who's your favourite artist? I'm really digging Dash Berlin at the moment. I love going to music gigs!!!

Kgerber777 wrote: »
    Hey, I am part time student and I work full time as a teller at a bank. I am 23 years old, I do have more to loose than 10 lbs. but I was only 10 lbs. over weight at one point (sure wish I would have taken that 10 lbs. seriously rather than letting it get out of control). I need to loose between 70-75 lbs. to reach my goal weight ( I am going more by how I look/feel rather than a number). I eat about 1800 calories a day and try to fit in walks in the evenings.

That's really awesome that you study part time, what do you study?
    i'm 24, have about 10 lbs to lose as well. i'm 5' 4", highest weight was 192 when i was 15. i lost 55 lbs then over the course of 5 years gained 35 of those back... since september 2013 when i joined MFP and gave my diet a real overhaul (i was always exercising a lot, just not keeping track of my calories well) i've lost 48 lbs and am now at 119 lbs, the lowest i've ever been in my adult life! i hope to get to 110 and then start a body recomp (i do some strength but mostly cardio since i'm still focused on losing weight). these last few lbs are coming off sloooooowwwwlly but i'm determined to get them off!

That's fantastic, well done on your loss!! Hopefully we can all help each other stay motivated to lose those last few! :)
  • maria0elisa
    edited December 2014
    Options
    haha it really does...!

Oh okay cool!

How about you?

How about you?

I'm from Aus actually, we celebrate Boxing Day down here too. It would be nice to be spending those days with other calorie conscious individuals but I love my family anyway haha. I'm hoping to fit in some exercise early in the morning even on the holidays, mostly because it makes me feel good :)

That's cool! I would love to go back to uni and study literature! Do you enjoy it?

I love music too :) electronic/dance/indie.. well a bit of everything. Who's your favourite artist? I'm really digging Dash Berlin at the moment. I love going to music gigs!!!
    Oh nice! Haha do you! I thought that was always just a totally bonkers british holiday..! Haha yes, that's obviously the most important thing, so gotta remember that ;) That's a great strategy- the ideal way to get through the holidays!
    Yeah I really enjoy analysing it & talking about the context/philosophy, it's just a slog to get all the books read in the first place- there are so many! So I procrastinate on mfp haha.
    What did you study? What are you doing now?

Oh great! :) it's a such a good hobby to combine with fitness-- I'm so motivated by a strong beat and a happy vibe. Oh yeah I used to run with dash berlin on.. very intense build for a longer run! Yeah, some people find gigs expensive but in my opinion it's money well spent for a great experience! I would much rather go to a decent gig/concert or an occasional-but-less-frequent club night as opposed to going out every weekend.

In terms of artists I like upbeat (but good!) pop like rihanna/robyn and I LOVE Beyonce as well, she's just all-round incredible & so body-positive! (Even if I'll never have her curves, whatever.)
    The more electronic people I like are: Jamie xx, Jacques greene, Cyril Hahn, kaytranada, bonobo, Jessie ware, and a new artist from the UK called TALA. I also really like the aussies anna lunoe & say lou lou at the moment, and in general, the label Future Classic (Flume, charles murdoch). The only thing I can't give a chance is screamy metal/rock though!
    ....sorry maybe got a bit carried away with my list there haha! Who are your other favourite artists?
  • immortalities
    immortalities Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I probably fit into this category now and I'm looking for some maintenance friends!

My stats:

Height: 5'10
    SW: roughly 180lbs
    CW: 117lbs

Technically for my height I'm underweight, but I've only just started upping my calories and I'm hoping to maintain around 120-125lbs.

I try to work out 3x per week. 20 minutes cardio and 40 minutes strength training.

At the moment I'm eating 1350 cals on non-gym days and up to 1450 on gym days but I'm increasing this by 50 cals a week until I find my maintenance calories.

Feel free to add me! :D
  • intermittentvegan
    Options
    This sounds like me. I'm 21, 5'4", 126lbs and my GW is 115lb-119lb. I'm also training very slowly for a 10k. MFP says I should have a net intake of 1200kcal. I've kind of only started calorie counting today, I lost a couple of pounds by intermittent fasting but I've still been eating way too much.
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    I probably fit into this category now and I'm looking for some maintenance friends!

My stats:

Height: 5'10
    SW: roughly 180lbs
    CW: 117lbs

Technically for my height I'm underweight, but I've only just started upping my calories and I'm hoping to maintain around 120-125lbs.

I try to work out 3x per week. 20 minutes cardio and 40 minutes strength training.

At the moment I'm eating 1350 cals on non-gym days and up to 1450 on gym days but I'm increasing this by 50 cals a week until I find my maintenance calories.

Feel free to add me! :D

Hey, sounds like we're at exactly the same stage! (well, you do more exercise than me atm!)

I'm also on 1350 for a few more weeks. Ideally I'd lose a couple more kilos before I move to maintenance, but I'm due to move into uni accommodation soon without a kitchen- so I won't be able to cook for myself (booo!).
    I think aiming for maintenance during this period might be a more realistic goal, as I'll be estimating the calories in canteen meals!!

I've added you :)
  • maria0elisa
    Options
    This sounds like me. I'm 21, 5'4", 126lbs and my GW is 115lb-119lb. I'm also training very slowly for a 10k. MFP says I should have a net intake of 1200kcal. I've kind of only started calorie counting today, I lost a couple of pounds by intermittent fasting but I've still been eating way too much.
    Oh great! We are the same height and have had the same goals it seems! I have also worked very slowly up to a 10k in the last 6 months!
    Whatever you want to aim for is cool but 1200 sounds a little bit low if you're just starting off? That's my personal opinion cus I find that 1350 works for me. But I guess my weight loss has been reeeeally gradual. There are other people on this thread who do 1200 pretty easily so maybe they'd have more advice in that area!
  • immortalities
    immortalities Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Hey, sounds like we're at exactly the same stage! (well, you do more exercise than me atm!)

I'm also on 1350 for a few more weeks. Ideally I'd lose a couple more kilos before I move to maintenance, but I'm due to move into uni accommodation soon without a kitchen- so I won't be able to cook for myself (booo!).
    I think aiming for maintenance during this period might be a more realistic goal, as I'll be estimating the calories in canteen meals!!

Thanks for the add!

I feel that. I wanted to wait until after the new year to start upping my calories but with Christmas coming up, I thought I would start upping them back in November so that I can enjoy myself more through the festive season! Should hopefully be up between 1450 and 1500 by Christmas Day. :)

• maria0elisa
    Options

Thanks for the add!

I feel that. I wanted to wait until after the new year to start upping my calories but with Christmas coming up, I thought I would start upping them back in November so that I can enjoy myself more through the festive season! Should hopefully be up between 1450 and 1500 by Christmas Day. :)

:) yeah I think I will also be aiming for maintenance over that week around Christmas day just because I think it's more achievable than trying to stick at 1350... hopefully it will be okay!!
    I'm a bit nervous for the challenge of maintaining without slipping into old habits, so it'll be good to check in!
  • chelsedizzle
    Options
    Sounds like the perfect group!

I'm 25, 5'5", and 145 lbs. I got down to 138 while I was running over the summer, but between the cold and starting a bank teller job its starting to creep back on. Would love to see how you guys are doing to keep myself accountable :)

• maria0elisa
    Options
    Sounds like the perfect group!

I'm 25, 5'5", and 145 lbs. I got down to 138 while I was running over the summer, but between the cold and starting a bank teller job its starting to creep back on. Would love to see how you guys are doing to keep myself accountable :)
    I feel for you too, this is my first winter where I'm trying to eat healthily and keep running! It's hard but it will feel great come spring! :)
  • chelshull22
    chelshull22 Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hey, Im in the same boat as you guys too!

I am a 27 year old graduate student (5'4") looking to lose the last approximately 10 lbs of my goal weight loss:

SW: 206 (in 2009- but around 155 for this current go at trying to lose weight)
    CW: 142
    GW: 130-135

My current calorie goal is 1200/ day, but more when i workout hard and burn a lot of calories. I do a lot of group fitness- ive found this is the absolute best way to get into shape! Its such motivation when theres 20 other people doing the workout with you and an instructor to tell you how hard to push! Im currently in the best shape of my life but just looking to get down to my goal! Ive been stuck around this same weight for months and its hard to lose these last pounds! Sweets are definitely my downfall, and when I go visit my boyfriend for a week at a time its so hard to stay on a good diet!
  • shemaiahbarton3
    shemaiahbarton3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 too! a student working on my BS in chemistry...so I'm sitting all the time, but try to get to the gym 6 days a week. I've been getting into bodybuilding lately so lifting and cardio are part of my regular routine...
    calorie goal is 1500-1600

Height 5'7ish
    SW 160
    CW 143
    GW 125- 130
  • chelshull22
    chelshull22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 too! a student working on my BS in chemistry...so I'm sitting all the time, but try to get to the gym 6 days a week. I've been getting into bodybuilding lately so lifting and cardio are part of my regular routine...
    calorie goal is 1500-1600

Height 5'7ish
    SW 160
    CW 143
    GW 125- 130

When I was working on my BS in chemistry in 2009 was when I gained ALL my weight! Its good that you are proactive and keep a grasp on your health while going through that tough program! Sounds like you are doing SOOO good, keep at it!