Trying to make sense of what the Charts mean.

Options
Hi MyFitnessPal Society,
I Do Not understand what to aim for with Carbs, Protein, Fat, Iron, Vitamins etc. I find Alot off foods have Carbs for starters which seem to take up alot off my diet and then also making the daily goals I either find I'm well above or below what the charts are saying to aim for. I think I'm eating a balanced diet but nothing seems to add up. Some advice is Desperately needed please :(
Regards Michael.

Replies

• bloodlett
    bloodlett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    weight loss is very tricky, I see by your avatar you may be a race fan. if you set up your race car during practice and that car is fast but the day of the race that car is slow with the same set up. or what works today for weight loss may not work tomorrow, on your weight loss track you will need to change your set up consistently. I would start with a simple plan fresh fruit and vegetables with lean pork, chicken and seafood. fruit and veggies have allot of carbs but they are good carbs stay away from complex carbs. use this sites set up to get base limits
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Show us your diary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about it at first. For weight loss what matters is hitting your calories. After you log for a bit you can compare your results to the recommended amounts of the macros and vitamins with your results and decide if you need to change anything. They can also be helpful if you are having trouble staying full.

Most important is meeting the protein recommendation at least, for retaining muscle.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple:
    First, focus on staying at or near your calorie allotment for the day.
    Second, eat low fat foods, i.e fresh fruits & vegetables, lean meats & fish.
    Third, drink lots of water. It will help you control some of the hunger cravings you will get.
    Lastly, exercise. Even low impact, like walking counts. If you wouldn't do it normally before, log it.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »
    Keep it simple:
    Third, drink lots of water. It will help you control some of the hunger cravings you will get.
    Lastly, exercise. Even low impact, like walking counts. If you wouldn't do it normally before, log it.
    You forgot to mention healthy fats! Very important for health and satiety!

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Weight loss can be very simple or very complicated. In order to successfully lose weight AND be healthy, you'll want to focus on a few things initially:
    1. Hit your calorie goals
    2. Adequate protein (to prevent loss of muscle while losing weight)
    3. Adequate fiber (for long term health)
    4. EXERCISE: important to maintain a healthy metabolism while losing weight, and it makes your calorie goals much easier to hit while also getting adequate protein and fiber.

Note: a diet rich in minimally processed foods is not necessary, but it will make hitting your "macros" and calorie goals easier.

There are other important factors as well: healthy fats, five servings of fruits/veggies per day, etc. But it's difficult to make too many lifestyle changes all at once. So take things one step at a time.

• illtemperedcherry
    Options
    Check out this article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/from-here-to-macros-4-steps-to-better-nutrition.html
    This doesn't really mention iron or any other vitamins but I found it made macros a little less daunting. I hope it helps!
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    MFP Calculates a middle of the road type target for Protein, Carbohydrates and Fat. Nothing is written in stone there and you can modify those targets through the goals menu. I would recommend just eating like you normally do for a month to figure out what your current diet looks like. The only initial change should be targeting total calories. The Macro quantities are really a personal choice, and you can lose weight with any combination as long as you consume at a caloric deficit.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    Show us your diary.

Hi, I didn't realize that setting so have now made it Public. Thanks.

• Michael230272
    Options
    bloodlett wrote: »
    weight loss is very tricky, I see by your avatar you may be a race fan. if you set up your race car during practice and that car is fast but the day of the race that car is slow with the same set up. or what works today for weight loss may not work tomorrow, on your weight loss track you will need to change your set up consistently. I would start with a simple plan fresh fruit and vegetables with lean pork, chicken and seafood. fruit and veggies have allot of carbs but they are good carbs stay away from complex carbs. use this sites set up to get base limits

Wow thanks for that, I'm not really sure how to use this site as whilst I've been using the App for a little while never used this Discussion Page. Thanks Again.

• Michael230272
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Don't worry too much about it at first. For weight loss what matters is hitting your calories. After you log for a bit you can compare your results to the recommended amounts of the macros and vitamins with your results and decide if you need to change anything. They can also be helpful if you are having trouble staying full.

Most important is meeting the protein recommendation at least, for retaining muscle.

Thank You.

• Michael230272
    Options
    Keep it simple:

Thank You.

• Michael230272
    Options
    Keep it simple:
    You forgot to mention healthy fats! Very important for health and satiety!
    Um, I was only going by the Diagram, it gives 50% Carbs, 30% Fat & 20% Protein so whilst I'm aware of good and bad Fats I don't know much how they work in your diet specially good fats !!!!!! Thank you Though.

• Michael230272
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Weight loss can be very simple or very complicated. In order to successfully lose weight AND be healthy, you'll want to focus on a few things initially:
    4. EXERCISE: important to maintain a healthy metabolism while losing weight, and it makes your calorie goals much easier to hit while also getting adequate protein and fiber.

Note: a diet rich in minimally processed foods is not necessary, but it will make hitting your "macros" and calorie goals easier.

There are other important factors as well: healthy fats, five servings of fruits/veggies per day, etc. But it's difficult to make too many lifestyle changes all at once. So take things one step at a time.
    Thanks, A steady walk is the best I can do now due to having had back surgery 2 yrs ago. I don't know much about good fats, Protein, Fiber & Calorie Goal I get as being important so yeah thanks.
    But a silly Question a couple of use have mentioned "macros" what's this referring to ????

• Michael230272
    Options
    Check out this article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/from-here-to-macros-4-steps-to-better-nutrition.html
    This doesn't really mention iron or any other vitamins but I found it made macros a little less daunting. I hope it helps!
    thank you, I'll have a look at that. Cheers.

• Michael230272
    Options
    MFP Calculates a middle of the road type target for Protein, Carbohydrates and Fat. Nothing is written in stone there and you can modify those targets through the goals menu. I would recommend just eating like you normally do for a month to figure out what your current diet looks like. The only initial change should be targeting total calories. The Macro quantities are really a personal choice, and you can lose weight with any combination as long as you consume at a caloric deficit.
    Thanks Alot for your reply. Yeah I'm trying to aim for my daily Calorie so yeah all the other % I find confusing to work out what to aim. Cheers.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Thanks, A steady walk is the best I can do now due to having had back surgery 2 yrs ago. I don't know much about good fats, Protein, Fiber & Calorie Goal I get as being important so yeah thanks.
    But a silly Question a couple of use have mentioned "macros" what's this referring to ????

Macros just means proteins, carbs, and fats.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Macros just means proteins, carbs, and fats.
    Thanks, I was just going over your advice & was wondering how do you work out what are the correct foods in staying full. I am trying to drink more water at first before I eat when I feel like eating and also Eat my meals slower and take more notice in eating which this seem to be helpful.

My biggest problem are treats so Family Party's/Functions are challenging so coming up to Christmas it's going to be interesting. I'm trying to learn to Say to myself "I can Eat it but Do I Really Need" can't say it's been successful so far.
    But thank you for the advice I'm getting there :smile:

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Work on getting your calories in line. That's enough work at first, IMO.

The macros MFP sets up are really good for a general guide! As you go, watch and see where you're always over or under. If you're always way over on carbs, but way under on protein, start checking out where all those carbs come from to see where you can cut back. If you're low on protein, see what has a lot and where you can add more.

It's a process and can take a while. You don't have to be perfect right out of the box.

If you eat fruit, don't worry about that sugar one! I'd get rid of that column and replace it with fiber. Most of us eat less fiber than we should.

That 2300 of sodium MFP gives is very generous. Most doctors would advise the average person to take in less. Ask your doctor for you, though. See what they say.

Macros are protein, fats and carbs. They're called "macros" because we take in a lot of them. They aren't more important than the vitamins and minerals we need in smaller amounts, which are called micros (e.g. Vitamin D, calcium, B12). They're just bigger, broader categories that get a lot more attention! :)
  • Michael230272
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Work on getting your calories in line. That's enough work at first, IMO.

The macros MFP sets up are really good for a general guide! As you go, watch and see where you're always over or under. If you're always way over on carbs, but way under on protein, start checking out where all those carbs come from to see where you can cut back. If you're low on protein, see what has a lot and where you can add more.

It's a process and can take a while. You don't have to be perfect right out of the box.

If you eat fruit, don't worry about that sugar one! I'd get rid of that column and replace it with fiber. Most of us eat less fiber than we should.

That 2300 of sodium MFP gives is very generous. Most doctors would advise the average person to take in less. Ask your doctor for you, though. See what they say.

Macros are protein, fats and carbs. They're called "macros" because we take in a lot of them. They aren't more important than the vitamins and minerals we need in smaller amounts, which are called micros (e.g. Vitamin D, calcium, B12). They're just bigger, broader categories that get a lot more attention! :)

Thanks for all that.
    So I have NO Idea about Sodium. But in the last 90 days I've been around 2300 or above on about 35 days. Alot of the Advice on here has been about focusing on getting the Calories right so understanding getting the Calories right I understand but as for the rest of it I feel like I need a Science Degree to understand what food too eat. I've been to Dietitians and Whilst they've been useful I still have NO Idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!