Trying to make sense of what the Charts mean.

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Weight loss can be very simple or very complicated. In order to successfully lose weight AND be healthy, you'll want to focus on a few things initially:
    1. Hit your calorie goals
    2. Adequate protein (to prevent loss of muscle while losing weight)
    3. Adequate fiber (for long term health)
    4. EXERCISE: important to maintain a healthy metabolism while losing weight, and it makes your calorie goals much easier to hit while also getting adequate protein and fiber.

Note: a diet rich in minimally processed foods is not necessary, but it will make hitting your "macros" and calorie goals easier.

There are other important factors as well: healthy fats, five servings of fruits/veggies per day, etc. But it's difficult to make too many lifestyle changes all at once. So take things one step at a time.
    Thanks, A steady walk is the best I can do now due to having had back surgery 2 yrs ago. I don't know much about good fats, Protein, Fiber & Calorie Goal I get as being important so yeah thanks.
    But a silly Question a couple of use have mentioned "macros" what's this referring to ????

Macros just means proteins, carbs, and fats.
    Thanks, I was just going over your advice & was wondering how do you work out what are the correct foods in staying full. I am trying to drink more water at first before I eat when I feel like eating and also Eat my meals slower and take more notice in eating which this seem to be helpful.

Sounds like you are doing good things already, as those all helped me.

What worked for me was to focus on logging and meeting my calories first. Then, if I found that I was hungry at a particular time I didn't want to be--between meals, for example--I'd look at my logs and see if I could figure out a solution. What I noticed early on is that I get hungry faster if I eat a meal that's mostly carbs, and for me that is so even if there's a decent amount of fiber. So I try to make sure that all my meals have a good amount of protein and also some fat. For some people the solution may be adding in smaller meats or eating more fruits and veggies--you just experiment.

IMO, foods that many people tend to find filling are fruits and veggies, protein (meat, egg, protein bar/powder, dairy), and fat, and foods that many find less filling are refined carbs (white bread or pasta, etc.) or starch (potatoes), although it depends. For example, I tend to find that potato or even pasta makes me less hungry so long as I eat it with a good amount of protein too.
    My biggest problem are treats so Family Party's/Functions are challenging so coming up to Christmas it's going to be interesting. I'm trying to learn to Say to myself "I can Eat it but Do I Really Need" can't say it's been successful so far.
    But thank you for the advice I'm getting there :smile:

Yep, I suspect this is one of the more challenging parts for everyone. I'm finding it so also. Was reading a book (Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight) that cited a study that weight gain tends to happen not evenly over the year, but (in the US, anyway) typically around the end of the year, but then is not lost. Made me a bit more determined to stay with it this holiday season, despite the temptations.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Work on getting your calories in line. That's enough work at first, IMO.

The macros MFP sets up are really good for a general guide! As you go, watch and see where you're always over or under. If you're always way over on carbs, but way under on protein, start checking out where all those carbs come from to see where you can cut back. If you're low on protein, see what has a lot and where you can add more.

It's a process and can take a while. You don't have to be perfect right out of the box.

If you eat fruit, don't worry about that sugar one! I'd get rid of that column and replace it with fiber. Most of us eat less fiber than we should.

That 2300 of sodium MFP gives is very generous. Most doctors would advise the average person to take in less. Ask your doctor for you, though. See what they say.

Macros are protein, fats and carbs. They're called "macros" because we take in a lot of them. They aren't more important than the vitamins and minerals we need in smaller amounts, which are called micros (e.g. Vitamin D, calcium, B12). They're just bigger, broader categories that get a lot more attention! :)

Thanks for all that.
    So I have NO Idea about Sodium. But in the last 90 days I've been around 2300 or above on about 35 days. Alot of the Advice on here has been about focusing on getting the Calories right so understanding getting the Calories right I understand but as for the rest of it I feel like I need a Science Degree to understand what food too eat. I've been to Dietitians and Whilst they've been useful I still have NO Idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you're going back, ask questions. Write them down as they come to you so that you don't forget. They're great for that!

Take it slow. Watch your patterns. Make adjustments as you see fit.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

You'll get there. Take it easy on yourself.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    Weight loss can be very simple or very complicated. In order to successfully lose weight AND be healthy, you'll want to focus on a few things initially:
    4. EXERCISE: important to maintain a healthy metabolism while losing weight, and it makes your calorie goals much easier to hit while also getting adequate protein and fiber.

Note: a diet rich in minimally processed foods is not necessary, but it will make hitting your "macros" and calorie goals easier.

There are other important factors as well: healthy fats, five servings of fruits/veggies per day, etc. But it's difficult to make too many lifestyle changes all at once. So take things one step at a time.
    Thanks, A steady walk is the best I can do now due to having had back surgery 2 yrs ago. I don't know much about good fats, Protein, Fiber & Calorie Goal I get as being important so yeah thanks.
    But a silly Question a couple of use have mentioned "macros" what's this referring to ????

Macros just means proteins, carbs, and fats.
    Thanks, I was just going over your advice & was wondering how do you work out what are the correct foods in staying full. I am trying to drink more water at first before I eat when I feel like eating and also Eat my meals slower and take more notice in eating which this seem to be helpful.

Sounds like you are doing good things already, as those all helped me.

What worked for me was to focus on logging and meeting my calories first. Then, if I found that I was hungry at a particular time I didn't want to be--between meals, for example--I'd look at my logs and see if I could figure out a solution. What I noticed early on is that I get hungry faster if I eat a meal that's mostly carbs, and for me that is so even if there's a decent amount of fiber. So I try to make sure that all my meals have a good amount of protein and also some fat. For some people the solution may be adding in smaller meats or eating more fruits and veggies--you just experiment.

IMO, foods that many people tend to find filling are fruits and veggies, protein (meat, egg, protein bar/powder, dairy), and fat, and foods that many find less filling are refined carbs (white bread or pasta, etc.) or starch (potatoes), although it depends. For example, I tend to find that potato or even pasta makes me less hungry so long as I eat it with a good amount of protein too.
    My biggest problem are treats so Family Party's/Functions are challenging so coming up to Christmas it's going to be interesting. I'm trying to learn to Say to myself "I can Eat it but Do I Really Need" can't say it's been successful so far.
    But thank you for the advice I'm getting there :smile:

Yep, I suspect this is one of the more challenging parts for everyone. I'm finding it so also. Was reading a book (Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight) that cited a study that weight gain tends to happen not evenly over the year, but (in the US, anyway) typically around the end of the year, but then is not lost. Made me a bit more determined to stay with it this holiday season, despite the temptations.

lol, whenever I go to my Mothers "especially" it's Food Danger Time.
    I'll have to stop going to her house hahaha :smiley:
    Thanks for the Advice and Encouragement.
    I do find the App good to get a guide on the Calories. But as I started out, I just find everything else confusing. But with all this useful advice I'm slowly getting more understanding. I've read a book (Here in Australia) by
    (Dr Rick Kausman - If Not Dieting, Then What) this has been good encouragement about Diets, Right Choices, Excepting Yourself etc. So Thanks Again.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    Work on getting your calories in line. That's enough work at first, IMO.

The macros MFP sets up are really good for a general guide! As you go, watch and see where you're always over or under. If you're always way over on carbs, but way under on protein, start checking out where all those carbs come from to see where you can cut back. If you're low on protein, see what has a lot and where you can add more.

It's a process and can take a while. You don't have to be perfect right out of the box.

If you eat fruit, don't worry about that sugar one! I'd get rid of that column and replace it with fiber. Most of us eat less fiber than we should.

That 2300 of sodium MFP gives is very generous. Most doctors would advise the average person to take in less. Ask your doctor for you, though. See what they say.

Macros are protein, fats and carbs. They're called "macros" because we take in a lot of them. They aren't more important than the vitamins and minerals we need in smaller amounts, which are called micros (e.g. Vitamin D, calcium, B12). They're just bigger, broader categories that get a lot more attention! :)

Thanks for all that.
    So I have NO Idea about Sodium. But in the last 90 days I've been around 2300 or above on about 35 days. Alot of the Advice on here has been about focusing on getting the Calories right so understanding getting the Calories right I understand but as for the rest of it I feel like I need a Science Degree to understand what food too eat. I've been to Dietitians and Whilst they've been useful I still have NO Idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you're going back, ask questions. Write them down as they come to you so that you don't forget. They're great for that!

Take it slow. Watch your patterns. Make adjustments as you see fit.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

You'll get there. Take it easy on yourself.

Thanks, I grew up with people around me making Diets an issue so it's had an effect on me to do as you say "Take it easy on Yourself" and also I think the Worldly Media make it hard to not stress about your Diets IMO
    I'm slowly learning and thank you I believe I will get there slowly. Thanks.

• buggzero
    buggzero Posts: 9 Member
    Options

This was a good breakdown
    Check out this article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/from-here-to-macros-4-steps-to-better-nutrition.html
    This doesn't really mention iron or any other vitamins but I found it made macros a little less daunting. I hope it helps!

The article summed up the rest for me, after ahamm's tips. Thank you

Michael--

Definitely the struggles you are talking about are ones a lot of us have, especially at the parents house. The hardest part, it saying no to seconds! But the biggest thing that you can also help is portion control. It doesn't mean nix everything entirely, it means reduce the amount of overeating with stacking the plate. Holidays mean a lot of mashed potatoes, which normally gets slathered in gravy. Yesterday, I took a regular spoon (approx a teaspoon) and used that dish out gravy to give myself a closer guess and control how much fat and sodium i was copnsuming. Small improvements like that can help you get the best of both worlds.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    buggzero wrote: »

This was a good breakdown
    Check out this article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/from-here-to-macros-4-steps-to-better-nutrition.html
    This doesn't really mention iron or any other vitamins but I found it made macros a little less daunting. I hope it helps!

The article summed up the rest for me, after ahamm's tips. Thank you

Michael--

Definitely the struggles you are talking about are ones a lot of us have, especially at the parents house. The hardest part, it saying no to seconds! But the biggest thing that you can also help is portion control. It doesn't mean nix everything entirely, it means reduce the amount of overeating with stacking the plate. Holidays mean a lot of mashed potatoes, which normally gets slathered in gravy. Yesterday, I took a regular spoon (approx a teaspoon) and used that dish out gravy to give myself a closer guess and control how much fat and sodium i was copnsuming. Small improvements like that can help you get the best of both worlds.
    Thank You, that's very Helpful.
    Yes Self Control is the Dirty Word, the serve sizes (yes) are extremely important.
    Well done for your efforts and hope you can improve in time your ways.
    Yes before asking the Question the Macros were Extremely Daunting but after everyone's advice it's not appearing to be as Scary now.

Kind Regards
    Michael :smile: