I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My question: I'm on MFP to lose weight myself which is encouraging my BF to do the same. Hes starting about the same place you did. How do I encourage him without nagging? I want us to both be healthy, but I know its a personal choice.
  • biteback
    biteback Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    The bad: I'm kind of a pain about going out to eat certain places. I don't much like eating food I didn't prepare unless its on my very few and far between free days. Don't get me wrong I eat treats and snacks all the time but I weigh/prepare them myself so I can account for it. I will always feel the need to better myself. When I was fat I didn't care. Sometimes this can be mentally exhausting. But the bads don't even begin to compare to all the goods.

That's exactly how I am. I can't afford to be very spontaneous about going out to eat because I need to know where I'll be eating and what I can eat...I like to log a few days in advanced so there's no room for random eating! I weigh what I eat as well...
  • GeauxWill
    GeauxWill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started strong lifts 5x5 last week. I am doing it 3 days a week as recommended in the program(MWF). How much cardio should I incorporate, and when?

I am 29yo male currently at 282, started at 293 four weeks ago, so obviously my current goal(and for a very long time) is to drop weight but try to hold on to as much lean muscle as I can during the process.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    My question: I'm on MFP to lose weight myself which is encouraging my BF to do the same. Hes starting about the same place you did. How do I encourage him without nagging? I want us to both be healthy, but I know its a personal choice.
    He's just got to want to do it. You can encourage by making things easier on him such as helping prepare food, not putting him in positions where breaking the diet might be easy to do. But if he slips up you simply need to encourage getting back into things. Getting on him about things will likely only make him want to quit.
    @vismal i cant kick this plateau ..heeeeeeeelp!

• vismal
    Options
    GeauxWill wrote: »
    I just started strong lifts 5x5 last week. I am doing it 3 days a week as recommended in the program(MWF). How much cardio should I incorporate, and when?

I am 29yo male currently at 282, started at 293 four weeks ago, so obviously my current goal(and for a very long time) is to drop weight but try to hold on to as much lean muscle as I can during the process.
    As little or as much as you'd like. You can do it anytime you want as well. The only time I wouldn't do it is immediately before your lifting workout. Immediately after is even okay. Know that diet is endlessly more important than cardio. You must also watch how you recover from all your physical activity. When you start feeling run down all the time, you should cut back on cardio before lifting.
  • momtoaz
    momtoaz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just read a good bit of the post on this thread. I will be reading the rest. Especially since I jumped over a hurdle EVEN OVER THANKSGIVING! Thank you for sharing your storie
  • faiora
    faiora Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work in health care and no long feel like a hypocrite when I tell my patience about the risk factors associated with obesity. I love being able to pull out old fat picture when someone says something to the effect of "You don't understand because your in shape" or "you don't get it, you've never been fat".

I have congenital heart problems, and our "patient educator nurse" is this thin girl who looks like she's never been overweight, and doesn't come across as having empathy. It's all "drink more water" and "eat less salt" and it simply isn't that straightforward. I'd really love if someone in my string of healthcare providers could show me an old photo and say "look, I've been there and it was rough, but I know you can do what I did."

But I think another thing that hurts is the assumption that because I'm overweight, I don't take care of myself at all, and don't know anything about nutrition. I have low/normal blood pressure, excellent cholesterol levels, and no signs of diabetes. Now, of course that doesn't mean my weight is healthy, but given my family history I don't think I can attribute these stats to genetics. I think the food choices I make are generally good, and all these suggestions to "choose low fat dairy" and the like are problematic. I don't have to eat the way my nutritionist or that nurse does to have a healthier weight. I have to find a method that's right for my body and my lifestyle.

Anyway, keep doing what you're doing - and if you can, use your achievements to inspire people. There are so many conflicting stories and opinions in the medical world, and sometimes we just need to hear someone say "look, this is a real thing you can achieve, and I believe in you."
  • Christine_1027
    Options
    awesome job! you look amazing!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    incredibly amazing transformation.
    I love reading AMAs on reddit. This one has been equally informative and enlightening.
    MFP could use more of you ;)
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring and give excellent advice. Thank you !!!
  • pocheros
    pocheros Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an amazing transformation!

You said that you lost weight initially with running. Did you have any trouble with joint or ankle pain? If so, how did you prevent it or deal with it?
  • vismal
    Options
    pocheros wrote: »
    Wow, what an amazing transformation!

You said that you lost weight initially with running. Did you have any trouble with joint or ankle pain? If so, how did you prevent it or deal with it?
    I did not. If running hurts your joints, you could try biking, the elliptical machine, walking, or any other form of cardio. Or you could create your caloric deficit from diet exclusively.
  • davidp2711
    davidp2711 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Op great story do you have any guides to for starting weights what sort of routeine you stuck to

Thanks
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is amazing. Congrats, OP! No questions, but this will be great to come back and read when I need the inspiration.
  • disco999
    disco999 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing.
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation. I too am a believe in the 5X5 programs. You look great!
  • KaziTime
    KaziTime Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! Congratulations on the absolutely Amazing results!!
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.
  • GangstaMami
    GangstaMami Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Great testimonial and commitment to answering these questions. Terrific effort Vismal. While I'm also a lifter, I was encouraged to run by my daughter. I would also mention about running that your shoes are CRITICAL. Buy a good pair from a running store. Until my daughter encouraged me to go to a running store, I always had knee and back pain while running. Now I can run for miles without a hint of an issue.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!