Cleanse/Detox

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think a cleanse is a good idea if your blocked up/constipated. I've read some people only go to the loo once a week!!!!! These people definitely need a good cleanse/flush out
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think a cleanse is a good idea if your blocked up/constipated. I've read some people only go to the loo once a week!!!!! These people definitely need a good cleanse/flush out

Taco Bell
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Haha randomtai. I fall in the constipation group unfortunately, and these cleanse type things are a massive help!! Altho all I take is magnesium oxide, so probably not a traditional expensive type thing that's being discussed here
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    There's nothing like a good poo to cleanse the soul.

:D

• Christine_72
    Options
    Yes indeedy Ninkyou :p
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    conniedj wrote: »
    The human body is an amazing thing. And yes....all the built in systems of the body do much to excrete wastes. But the human body was made to process food--not to be bombarded with the cocktail of additives we ingest/breath/put on our skin. We were not made to digest pesticides. We were not made to digest artificial ingredients that don't add any nutritional value to the food--but make it pretty and maybe last longer in the box on the shelf.

Even with the bombardment, some people have enough nutritive balance and enough good gut bacteria to deal with the added burden of breaking down the toxic stuff ( naturally along with healthy kidney and liver function). Some don't. And those that reach the critical overload are well on their way to a diseased state. (Statistically speaking: 1-in-2 men, 1-in-3 women will be diagnosed with cancer)

I don't care at all for the MLM/hype/bandwagon approach for "cleanses and detox" regimes. I do think that cleansing is not a bad thing when it is done: correctly, gently and over a longer period of time. But I define cleanse as a process of taking fiber, herbs, minerals, vitamins, probiotics. I DO not subscribe to starvation/lemon/popular cleanses--- ever. I do believe that certain herbs (as well as homeopathics) can help the liver and kidneys purge some of the toxins that can cause damage to these organs, and that probiotics can help build up the good bacteria that can be wiped out from something as simple as chlorinated water.

But the caveat is that it is never a good idea to just start taking something....working with a good practitioner ( Dr., DO, homeopath--etc) is the best way to approach any change that is comprehensive.

BTW.....cleansing/detox for weight loss? Just no.
    Homeopathics? You do know that homeopathics are nothing but water, right?
    Just because the dilution of the effective ingredient can't be picked up in nuclear magnetic resonance, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.......just ask the people that filled in their questionnaire on how they felt after taking it.......proof positive right there.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The human body is an amazing thing. And yes....all the built in systems of the body do much to excrete wastes. But the human body was made to process food--not to be bombarded with the cocktail of additives we ingest/breath/put on our skin. We were not made to digest pesticides. We were not made to digest artificial ingredients that don't add any nutritional value to the food--but make it pretty and maybe last longer in the box on the shelf.

Even with the bombardment, some people have enough nutritive balance and enough good gut bacteria to deal with the added burden of breaking down the toxic stuff ( naturally along with healthy kidney and liver function). Some don't. And those that reach the critical overload are well on their way to a diseased state. (Statistically speaking: 1-in-2 men, 1-in-3 women will be diagnosed with cancer)

I don't care at all for the MLM/hype/bandwagon approach for "cleanses and detox" regimes. I do think that cleansing is not a bad thing when it is done: correctly, gently and over a longer period of time. But I define cleanse as a process of taking fiber, herbs, minerals, vitamins, probiotics. I DO not subscribe to starvation/lemon/popular cleanses--- ever. I do believe that certain herbs (as well as homeopathics) can help the liver and kidneys purge some of the toxins that can cause damage to these organs, and that probiotics can help build up the good bacteria that can be wiped out from something as simple as chlorinated water.

But the caveat is that it is never a good idea to just start taking something....working with a good practitioner ( Dr., DO, homeopath--etc) is the best way to approach any change that is comprehensive.

Just because the dilution of the effective ingredient can't be picked up in nuclear magnetic resonance, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.......just ask the people that filled in their questionnaire on how they felt after taking it.......proof positive right there.

I hope that last remark was written in sarcasm font.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    JONZ64 wrote: »
    Been hearing lots of folks at work and on FB start into their resolution lists and have heard the "latest" Detox/Cleanse from a few people already, so I thought I would share this on here as a preventative measure for the upcoming season. Full Disclosure : I stole this from another MFP member a few years ago and I have posted it a few times and will continue to do so as long as I still see "Magic Pill" posts.

The body’s own detox system
    We tend to forget that the body is equipped with a detoxification system of its own, which includes the following:

The skin. The main function of the body’s largest organ is to provide a barrier against harmful substances, from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals and chemical toxins.

The respiratory system. Fine hairs inside the nose trap dirt and other large particles that may be inhaled. Smaller particles that make it to the lungs are expelled from the airways in mucus.

The immune system. This exquisitely orchestrated network of cells and molecules is designed to recognize foreign substances and eliminate them from the body.

The intestines. Peyer’s patches — lymph nodes in the small intestine — screen out parasites and other foreign substances before nutrients are absorbed into the blood from the colon.

The liver. Acting as the body’s principal filter, the liver produces a family of proteins called metallothioneins. Metallothioneins neutralize harmful metals like lead, cadmium, and mercury to prepare for their elimination from the body. Liver cells also produce groups of enzymes that regulate the metabolism of drugs and are an important part of the body’s defense against harmful chemicals and other toxins.

The kidneys. The fact that urine tests are used to screen for drugs and toxins is a testament to the kidneys' remarkable efficiency in filtering out waste substances and moving them out of the body.

There's no "Magic" Lemonade, cayun pepper and squid oil drink that will Detox your body, just eat CICO, exercise, keep hydrated and Voila, Health! :-P

bump
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have responded really well to homeopathics when modern pharmaceuticals have failed me horribly ( read: bad reaction). I was skeptical when my< integrative> Dr. put me on them the first time ( many years ago) when pharma drugs made me really sick. But I couldn't argue with the results. But....alas....this is about the almighty cleanse/detox--not my personal experience.

BTW....I love those that pipe in on the forums with a sentence that pokes fun holes in another poster's silly beliefs. So sweet. <sarcasm font>
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Yes, beliefs are powerful. never underestimate the mind and its power. Homey or not, good luck.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    depends on your definition of detox though!. No to all the quack quick fixes but if your diet is heavy in processed foods, too much alcohol or other damaging 'food' products, then by switching to a clearer diet you are certainly doing your body a favour and not over taxing its systems therefore it can run the normal detox functions well. (and I don't mean totally clean either but as near to it as you can and still enjoy life)
  • conniedj
    Options
    I have a science background and my *belief* is that results are powerful. Though I believe the mind/body connection is as well. <---luck has absolutely nothing to do with it.
  • conniedj
    Options
    jonnyman41 wrote: »
    depends on your definition of detox though!. No to all the quack quick fixes but if your diet is heavy in processed foods, too much alcohol or other damaging 'food' products, then by switching to a clearer diet you are certainly doing your body a favour and not over taxing its systems therefore it can run the normal detox functions well. (and I don't mean totally clean either but as near to it as you can and still enjoy life)

That's a good point.

We just finished Thanksgiving here in the US. So many rich foods that you don't eat everyday--and lots of it. I probably ate about 20 pounds of food in a 3-4 day span. Talk about feeling heavy! I threw a bunch of greens "into the mix", which had a "cleansing" effect. Back to pre-turkey weight, feeling normal in the belly again!

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Mcbummers wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

"“Let’s be clear,” says Edzard Ernst, emeritus professor of complementary medicine at Exeter University, “there are two types of detox: one is respectable and the other isn’t.” The respectable one, he says, is the medical treatment of people with life-threatening drug addictions. “The other is the word being hijacked by entrepreneurs, quacks and charlatans to sell a bogus treatment that allegedly detoxifies your body of toxins you’re supposed to have accumulated.”"

" In 2009, a network of scientists assembled by the UK charity Sense about Science contacted the manufacturers of 15 products sold in pharmacies and supermarkets that claimed to detoxify. The products ranged from dietary supplements to smoothies and shampoos. When the scientists asked for evidence behind the claims, not one of the manufacturers could define what they meant by detoxification, let alone name the toxins."

I was going to post the recent blog by Zardoz that linked to this article. Great and informative article with links to studies to back up.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »

I hope that last remark was written in sarcasm font.

I imagine so. Homeopathy is nonsense. The 'positive reactions' are entirely placebo based and psychosomatic.
    Yes it was. Not surprising homeopathy found it's way into a detox thread, actually expected it.

• earlnabby
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Taco Bell

A big handful of almonds or a bunch of raw carrots do the job for me.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »

Taco Bell

A big handful of almonds or a bunch of raw carrots do the job for me.

brent_rambo_approves.gif
  • earlnabby
    Options
    jonnyman41 wrote: »

It is just common sense and listening to your body. Overindulge in alcohol? Most will pound the water the next day because you are really thirsty. Same thing with excess salt. Overate on heavy foods? Your stomach will feel full the next day, telling you to feed it lighter fare that day. Give your body the opportunity to do what it does best . . . cleanse itself.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The only thing that needs to be cleansed is the rubbish spewed forth from every form of advocacy for the "importance of (insert ridiculous item here) for detoxing", and how some people link it to "boosting your metabolism". Please. The only thing that gets my metabolism going is my increased rate of certain hand gestures towards people when I'm trying to explain to people about the fallacy of detoxes.
    Amen.

This article is great:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance?CMP=fb_gu
    and was quoted in its entirety on an MFP blog post here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/_Zardoz_/view/you-can-t-detox-your-body-it-s-a-myth-712898

51637601.png
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I have responded really well to homeopathics
    So you're very suggestible.
    Homeopathy is nonsense. The 'positive reactions' are entirely placebo based and psychosomatic.
    This. :star:

That's not to say that people haven't experienced real changes, but it's not due to the parts-per-billion of whatever flower was supposed to be in the water, and its mythical powers.