Diet help please ( can i eat rice and brown rice while trying to loose weight)

Options
mehv2
mehv2 Posts: 44 Member
I am an 19 year old girl who has celiac disease so i can no eat any kind of glutens (wheats) and on top i am from and south asian background so i eat alot of white rice and spicy indian/pakistani food. I have changed my habit to eating more brown rice rather than white rice. But i need rice i can't get rid of it. I can't eat just vegtables or just meat i need rice to eat it with. I want to loose 40 pounds within 2-4 months and i weigh 160 right now. Would it be possible to achieve this with about 20-40 minutes of exercise a day, white rice twice a week and brown rice 5 times a week( excluding breakfast). My workout will be high intensity interval training on the treadmill and i will keep my calories 1400-1200 . so is it possible with the rice consumption?

Replies

• bertypainter
    Options
    Rice has calories just like anything else work their calories into your daily plan and makesure you are eating lots of variety and you should be fine.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    No. You cannot.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    White and brown rice have about the same amount of calories just so you know. But to answer your question, yes, you can eat rice. All you need to do is fit it into your daily calorie goal, no biggie. I'm like you, most of my meals include some sort of rice. It's never had an effect on my weight.
  • mehv2
    Options
    White and brown rice have about the same amount of calories just so you know. But to answer your question, yes, you can eat rice. All you need to do is fit it into your daily calorie goal, no biggie. I'm like you, most of my meals include some sort of rice. It's never had an effect on my weight.

ya i am going to try to lessen the amount over time but i need it lol
  • mehv2
    Options

but people say white rice has more starch so it is more fattening that is why.
  • randomtai
    Options
    mehv2 wrote: »

What people? :huh:
  • mehv2
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

my doctor said it is better if i eat brown rice rather than white rice
  • randomtai
    Options

Doctors aren't really knowledgeable about nutrition.
  • scuba6randy
    scuba6randy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    you can. But, remember that white rice is a high glycemic food, meaning it spikes your blood sugar and causes your body to release more insulin. When insulin levels are high your body is not as efficient at burning fat. always eat a little protein with it to balance this out. also, 40 lbs is a high weight loss for 4 months, at that rate of weight loss (1200 cal is low) your body starts metabolizing its own tissue... you'll lose muscle as well as fat. It takes a lot of energy to maintain muscle, so if you're not weight training and eating enough protein you will lose muscle (your power house of fat burning) because the body adapts fairly quickly to what is most efficient to maintain itself. I would recommend enough net calories for 1- 1.5 lbs of loss per week. So....find out how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight (example: around 2000) run for 25 minutes (apx 250 calories) a day and reduce overall calorie intake by 300-350 calories per day. You'll then be in a calorie deficit of about 3500 per week, meaning you'll lose about a pound of fat per week. But do some weight training (more than a 1 lb dumbbell) to maintain muscle, or you will lose that too, you'll be happy with the scales initially, but not for long and not like what happens in the mirror. You'll just be skinny with no shape.
  • mehv2
    Options
    you can. But, remember that white rice is a high glycemic food, meaning it spikes your blood sugar and causes your body to release more insulin. When insulin levels are high your body is not as efficient at burning fat. always eat a little protein with it to balance this out. also, 40 lbs is a high weight loss for 4 months, at that rate of weight loss (1200 cal is low) your body starts metabolizing its own tissue... you'll lose muscle as well as fat. It takes a lot of energy to maintain muscle, so if you're not weight training and eating enough protein you will lose muscle (your power house of fat burning) because the body adapts fairly quickly to what is most efficient to maintain itself. I would recommend enough net calories for 1- 1.5 lbs of loss per week. So....find out how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight (example: around 2000) run for 25 minutes (apx 250 calories) a day and reduce overall calorie intake by 300-350 calories per day. You'll then be in a calorie deficit of about 3500 per week, meaning you'll lose about a pound of fat per week. But do some weight training (more than a 1 lb dumbbell) to maintain muscle, or you will lose that too, you'll be happy with the scales initially, but not for long and not like what happens in the mirror. You'll just be skinny with no shape.

This is very helpful thank you and omg yes my doctor said I should quit white rice cuz my blood sugar level was a bit high. Will switching to brown rice fix that? Or should I just quite rice for good?
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options

This is very helpful thank you and omg yes my doctor said I should quit white rice cuz my blood sugar level was a bit high. Will switching to brown rice fix that? Or should I just quite rice for good?

Eating less of it will lower your blood sugar level, as will adding in a strength training program. It will help you regulate insulin as well.

Get a food scale, learn what a proper portion of rice looks like, and stick to it.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Holy heck, sure you can eat rice. it is a source of carbohydrates and you need them. There are other starchy sources of carbs without gluten.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Doctors aren't really knowledgeable about nutrition.

This. Both of my parents are physician assistants and they're not much more knowledgeable about nutrition than your average joe. That's not their area of expertise.

One is not more fattening than the other, trust me. What's "fattening" is how much you're eating overall. I grew up eating massive amounts of rice, yet I've managed to be underweight for the majority of my life because I wasn't getting enough calories/burning a lot of it off from being an active person. I'm gaining weight now because I chose to increase my caloric intake.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    My husband's diabetic, and white rice causes his sugar to spike. We've switched to brown rice -- because it's less processed and higher in fiber, it has less of an impact on blood sugar. However, the recommendation from his doctor was to reduce the amount of carbs he eats, which includes even brown rice. He usually limits himself to no more than a cup (cooked, not raw) a day. If you're at 1200 calories, I'd measure only 1/2 cup serving. My own calorie goal is around 1200 plus exercise calories, and I usually limit myself to no more than 1/2 cup of rice for my evening meal. With that low a calorie limit, rice is really taking up calories needed for more nutritious foods, such as proteins, vegetables, and fruit. At 1200 calories, you must make sure that your calories are as nutrient dense as possible. Rice just doesn't have that many nutrients, so eat it in moderation.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've lost 59 pounds so far, and I've eaten rice on average a couple of times a week. Just measure it out and log it accurately, you will be fine.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You could eat chocolate ice cream for every meal and still lose weight :\
  • scuba6randy
    scuba6randy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Depends on what else you're eating, rice cakes, bagels, baked pretzels, baked russet potatoes, watermelon, even bananas rate fairly high on the glycemic index and should be paired with some protein to limit the insulin rush. but switching from white to brown rice will definitely help. Quinoa is a great alternative to try also, it has a different flavor and contains protein, but check with your doctor if you have celiac disease, there are mixed reviews as to the safety of it for those people.
  • mehv2
    Options
    You could eat chocolate ice cream for every meal and still lose weight :\

lol how?
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just count your calories. You do not have to give up white rice at all. I grew up in a community with a very dominant Asian culture and I have heard many of my friends speak the same way about being accustomed to eating rice with every meal. As long as you are accurately accounting for what you are consuming you will be fine.