How do you find your own purpose in life?

Options
laurasuzie3
laurasuzie3 Posts: 493 Member
Hello, this is rather a serious subject but something I've been thinking a lot about and would like to hear advice/opinions from other people.

Everyone always asks "What is the purpose of life?". Do you believe we all have a purpose? Do you think our purpose is something given to us by a higher power that we must discover or something we create on our own? Do you feel you've found your purpose? If so, how did you?

A little bit of background, I grew up in a VERY religious household (Mormonism). I recently stopped attending church for a multitude of reasons and now I am not sure what I believe or what kind of life I want. I'd like to hear from a diverse group of people, atheists, devout religious people, and everyone in between are welcome to share their opinions and advice.

PLEASE, however, be respectful and don't turn this into a religious debate. Don't bash people's beliefs, or lack thereof. Thank you :)

Replies

• _SandShoveller_
    _SandShoveller_ Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Like all living things - our BASIC purpose is to reproduce and continue the species.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    on MFP?

Ok, here is my answer: all answers are correct.
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Deontologist philosophically, social libertarian politically, no comment on religion (religion should be personally kept imo)

I think it's 1. find what you're good/bad at, then 2. use that to do something for the greater of everyone you can. Anyone that takes advantage of someone through criminal acts or even by economically "playing the game and winning" are ethically wrong imo.

I'm only 20 like yourself, so I could be wrong.
  • laurasuzie3
    Options
    on MFP?

Well, it's the chit chat section, so I figured anything goes.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued by this discussion but would rather discuss it privately. I am not comfortable with the level of negativity I have seen here on the open forums. Feel free to message me.
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I am intrigued by this discussion but would rather discuss it privately. I am not comfortable with the level of negativity I have seen here on the open forums. Feel free to message me.

Don't blame you
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think Manslow had it about right...self actualization...strive to become more than you thought you could, be more of what you are. So few of us ever come close to hitting our full potential. Imagine if you did..or even hit 90%.

You would be a Tiger Woods in your world.
  • laurasuzie3
    Options
    I think Manslow had it about right...self actualization...strive to become more than you thought you could, be more of what you are. So few of us ever come close to hitting our full potential. Imagine if you did..or even hit 90%.

You would be a Tiger Woods in your world.

haha don't know if I want to strive to be like Tiger, per say. haha

It's just difficult being young and having that fear of never finding out what you want or what you are good at.
  • ImmortalFire
    ImmortalFire Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    To be honest, as a high school graduate, I totally get where this question is coming from. After being asked what my "plans" for the future are I've decided that our purpose in life is something that has to be realized by experiencing and taking every opportunity that comes you're way - its guaranteed that there will be a couple of bumps in the road, but its those road bumps that take you that much closer to figuring it out.

I get that this probably isn't the most useful comment, but just putting it out there :smiley:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Like all living things - our BASIC purpose is to reproduce and continue the species.

You know, you can ensure the survival of the species even if you don't reproduce, simply by being a supportive member of your community. There are a lot of people who for whatever reason (don't want to or can't) reproduce. Just because they don't breed, doesn't mean they serve no purpose.

Think of a wild wolf pack. Not all of the pack are allowed to breed. It's pretty much just the alphas for the most part, with some exceptions. But all members are important, in that they help provide for and protect the younger generations, thus ensuring the survival of their species.

As for OP's question: that is the great mystery that all thoughtful people ponder. Good luck finding your purpose. I'm still searching, too. I'm hoping one day it will find me! o:)

• _SandShoveller_
    _SandShoveller_ Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    OP - you are making an assumption first and foremost that there IS a purpose to everyones life? With 0ver 7 Billion People on the Planet, I find it difficult to conceive that each and every person HAS a specific purpose. . . . beyond reproduction as aforementioned . . .
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Being the best you can possibly be and striving to be the happiest you can make yourself and those around you.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    Being the best you can possibly be and striving to be the happiest you can make yourself and those around you.
    Well Put!
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I feel the Purpose of us being here is to Love and be Loved! This includes doing for others that cannot do for themselves and showing compassion to all of God's Creatures.
    No matter how difficult things get, and the tragedy and hardships that we have to endure, and even after I personally have had to experience being the victim of being abducted, held hostage and shot and the tragedy of having a family member murdered, I have learned that my faith, finding happiness and sharing my heart has gotten me through the very toughest times in my life, and I try to remember every single day, that my life and the chance to experience Love are the greatest gifts I could ever receive & to share that Love is my Purpose! :)
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    To be born, live and die.

The middle part of the process.
  • carolinagirl543
    carolinagirl543 Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I believe we all have a purpose in life. How do we find it? Through prayer and asking Him to lead us.
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    clone7 wrote: »
    Do A LOT of blow...msg me if you need a def of BLOW..kay?

-facepalm-
  • clone7
    clone7 Posts: 68
    Options
    COme on..why so serious. It was funny godd.. @sinistrous
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    clone7 wrote: »
    COme on..why so serious. It was funny godd.. @sinistrous

s2R <<~~~~
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    the following is an exchange between Lex Luthor and an indestructible immortal Android named Amazo.

Lex Luthor: What do you want from me?

Amazo: You have everything humans desire. Wealth. Power. Yet you crave more. And you'll do anything to get it. Why? What is your ultimate purpose?

Lex Luthor: What you're really asking is... what is yours? The truth is, for all my struggles to make my mark in life, for all I've accomplished, in just a few short generations my name will be forgotten. Even the greatest of us can't compete with time... and death.

Amazo: Then why do you go on? Why does anyone? Why don't I just destroy you and everything else right now? All it would take is a single thought and...

Lex Luthor: No! If you do that you won't see the end of it!

Amazo: The end of what?

Lex Luthor: The evolutionary process. You of all beings should know something about that.

Amazo: Yes. Yes, I'm evolving. That's why Professor Ivo made me. These past months I have amassed so much knowledge, and yet... I remain confused... empty. What am I evolving into? What is my purpose?! I must know! Tell me!

Lex Luthor: There's no way to tell. And that's why I stay in the game. My purpose, if you will, is to see where it's all going. And you! You'll live forever. You'll be able to see it all.

Amazo: Is that my purpose? Simply to be... a witness?

Lex Luthor: We create our own purpose in life. Now go create yours.

here is the youtube clip... https://youtube.com/watch?v=K4TC1xMyZDI