Options

Replies

• vahag718
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    vahag718 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    i weigh everything, i've been eating healthier ( cut off all junk food), and i have been doing cardio 135 hours per week. Here is my typical day....
    .For breakfast 3 egg whites and one tomato fried in 1 tbsp of canola oil (about 300 calories)
    .For lunch either a 6'' subway sub or a chicken salad only greens chicken and vinnegrette ( about 400/500 calories)
    .For dinner.. a 4 oz piece of fish and a small sweet potato or another salad
    .snacks- fruit and or sunflower seeds (70- 100 calories)
    - my workout is a 45 minute bike ride 3 times a week
    I see the word about a lot^^^^

And how long have you been at 297?
    1500-2000 calories is a big range. You when it is people give a range like that? Whenjoy they are guessing.
    i am not guessing somedays i just don't feel like eating as much because i have manic depression

This account seems less and less legit each with each post.
    ok well thanks for the help i guess im not legit.

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Maybe your scale is broken. B)

How long has your weight been the same?

What do you the other 4 days of the week, for physical activity?
    ive been stuck at 297 for a week and a half and the other four days i walk to and from the train station which is not much (about a 20 minute walk)
    A week and a half is not being stuck. Be more patient.

/Thread

Yes.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh that much less than you and I would never calculate 500 calories for a 45 minute bike ride.

However, a week and a half isn't really "stuck," it is just life. Maybe you are retaining some extra water, maybe you are a little constipated. The process requires patience.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "Stuck for how long?" is my question too. From 297, weight should be melting off. Also, losing 3 lbs/week is a perfectly fine goal at that weight. I would advise splitting some of your cardio time into resistance training and make sure you get a good amount of protein, on the order of about 160-180 g per day. The weights and protein are to help make sure you lose fat and maintain your lean mass.

Even if you were logging within 25% correctly, you'd be losing, so my suspicion is to impatience. If you go 2 weeks without results, then take a long hard look at what's going on. Anything less than that, just relax and stay on plan.

ETA - you can ignore my question since this thread went fast and furiously while I was composing the above message. So... just stick to plan.
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar carbs fat (don't use myfitnesspal for that). I got stuck last week, I had to eliminate bread for a couple of days and really watch my fat. I notice that a lot of recipes that are supposed to be low fat have a lot of oil. (Dude, I don't care if olive oil is healthy. Two tbsp. is an extra 250 calories). With my metabolism, anything but cooking spray will and precious little of that will stall my weight loss. Bread, crackers (even the whole wheat kind) stall me. So does sugar. Some weeks ill go 5 days with nothing, until I chunk everything but chicken and veggies. My best helper this week was grilled chicken salad with homemade very low fat ranch dressing and chicken kabobs. Weird but I lost a pound each day with this. I obviously have a carb metabolic issue. What I wouldn't give to be able to eat 2,000 calories a day!!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Under eating does set us up for a regain in the future but I went about two months without losing a pound but I was walking and not over eating. I was kind of down until I realized I had lost an inch in the waist and had lost my double chin and added muscle. :)

Measure as well as weigh. A pound of fat is a lot more volume than a pound of muscle.

You are making headway so stay the course.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    How about opening your diary? It can provide clues as to whether something is up and you jhave special circumstances that might warrant going to see a Dr or whether you are simply consuming more than you think.

If youve been stuck a week and a half then be patient and keep doing the good things. Normally peoples idea of a plateau is 6-8 weeks.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You are maintaining weight because you're eating as many calories as your body needs.
    To lose weight, cut calories & increase exercise.

To maintain weight, exercise 30 min per day (cardio) at least 5 days per week.
    To lose weight, you might have to do twice that (5 hours per week).
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

Newbie help post, including a link to sexypants & a post about accurate measurement of food:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-10-newbie-help-post-685689
    It also links to various of my blog posts, which have links to studies (usually on PubMed) supporting what I write about.
    vahag718 wrote:
    I am a 6'1 male stuck at 297. I burn 500 calories a day for 3 days a week and eat 1500-2000. The app says im 4,000 under my weekly goal but im not losing any weight. Any ideas guys? My goal is to loose (sic) 3 pounds a week and my goal weight is 250. The app recomends i eat 2060 but i eat less then (sic) that.
    According to BMI, you should be 145 - 185.
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    My doctor & dietician told me that to get to a healthy weight, I should eat 10x that in calories, so you should start by aiming for 1850 cal / day.
    That's _total_, not net. Ignore net, ignore exercise calories; do not eat back exercise calories.
    Most people underestimate what they eat, most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    If you ignore exercise calories, those 2 errors should balance out.

Being 110lb overweight, you might be able to lose 3 lb a week at first, but don't count on it lasting very long. 2 lb is a more reasonable goal for now, and when you get down to maybe 50 lb to go aim for 1 lb.
    I started out with 110 lb to lose and have averaged just over 1 lb per week this whole year.
    (Sometimes 3-4 lb, sometimes nothing, even though I've maintained a calorie deficit & increased duration & intensity of exercise.)

51637601.png
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    One more thing. If you really are exercising everyday, sometimes you build muscle before you burn. I really like measurements along with exercise.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost and how fast? Sometimes it takes our body awhile to catch up and we plateau for awhile.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So you haven't lost in like a week and a half? You need to exercise some patience... weight loss isn't linear.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    One more thing. If you really are exercising everyday, sometimes you build muscle before you burn. I really like measurements along with exercise.

And that is meant to explain for the weight to not change? I doubt he's gone and put a pound of muscle on in a caloric deficit.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Are you sure you are weighing everything you eat? I cannot emphasise this enough.

In my eyes, I see 3lb's a week to be too aggressive and not sustainable. You're probably going to start losing muscle, which you really don't want. Stick to 1-2lb's a week, much more sustainable.

3 pounds a week is not aggressive for a 300 pound person. That is actually pretty moderate.
  • vahag718
    Options
    i weigh everything, i've been eating healthier ( cut off all junk food), and i have been doing cardio 135 hours per week. Here is my typical day....
    .For breakfast 3 egg whites and one tomato fried in 1 tbsp of canola oil (about 300 calories)
    .For lunch either a 6'' subway sub or a chicken salad only greens chicken and vinnegrette ( about 400/500 calories)

1500-2000 calories is a big range. You when it is people give a range like that? Whenjoy they are guessing.
    i am not guessing somedays i just don't feel like eating as much because i have manic depression

also thanks for trivializing my disorder you can go *kitten* yourself

My brother has bipolar. That's what it's called, not manic depression.

Just so you know, sunshine.

[/quo

also thanks for trivializing my disorder you can go *kitten* yourself

My brother has bipolar. That's what it's called, not manic depression.

Just so you know, sunshine.
    its the same thing look it up in the DSM ask your brother if hes ever heard of buproprion and ziprasidone i dont see why i am defending myself.
    also i am apprehensive (and to be perfectly honest a little embarressed) of opening my diary my weight tracking has not been accurate since i have only recently gotten a scale. my weight tracking has come from the scale at my psychs office and obviously she always measures me with my cloathes and work boots on.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are weighing everything you eat? I cannot emphasise this enough.

In my eyes, I see 3lb's a week to be too aggressive and not sustainable. You're probably going to start losing muscle, which you really don't want. Stick to 1-2lb's a week, much more sustainable.

3 pounds a week is not aggressive for a 300 pound person. That is actually pretty moderate.

I guess, I guess I was just generalizing :s
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You're eating more and burning fewer calories than you think.

i am not though
    everything is weighed and i use the map my ride app to calculate my calories burned according to it i lose 500 calories or more on my bike rides

Well....no. If you are not losing weight, you are eating more than you think you are. You are either/or underestimating calories in or overestimating calories burned.

Apps are often overestimated in calories.

Even when you weigh your food, you have to do some research to ensure you are choosing correct entries.

• vahag718
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

i am not though
    everything is weighed and i use the map my ride app to calculate my calories burned according to it i lose 500 calories or more on my bike rides

Well....no. If you are not losing weight, you are eating more than you think you are. You are either/or underestimating calories in or overestimating calories burned.

Even when you weigh your food, you have to do some research to ensure you are choosing correct entries.
    so how do i accurately calculate calories burned?

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Disagree with you mikegal. He should eat based on what his current weight and requirements are and not where he wants to be. I think thats irresponsible. Have you got any studies to back this up?

As this is MFP then he can use the site to calculate his target calories for him or soemwhere else if he wants to TDEE.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Too much sugar carbs fat (don't use myfitnesspal for that). I got stuck last week, I had to eliminate bread for a couple of days and really watch my fat. I notice that a lot of recipes that are supposed to be low fat have a lot of oil. (Dude, I don't care if olive oil is healthy. Two tbsp. is an extra 250 calories). With my metabolism, anything but cooking spray will and precious little of that will stall my weight loss. Bread, crackers (even the whole wheat kind) stall me. So does sugar. Some weeks ill go 5 days with nothing, until I chunk everything but chicken and veggies. My best helper this week was grilled chicken salad with homemade very low fat ranch dressing and chicken kabobs. Weird but I lost a pound each day with this. I obviously have a carb metabolic issue. What I wouldn't give to be able to eat 2,000 calories a day!!!!

Why do think you have a carb metabolic issue?

Things like oil do not stall weight loss, it's the overall consumption that does that.

Do you weigh your solid food and measure liquids?

Also, you didn't lose a pound each day, you had natural weight fluctuations. Carbs equal water retention, because carbs love water. Cut the carbs, cut the water retention.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

i am not though

so how do i accurately calculate calories burned?

Calories burned are estimates only. I would say not to eat all your exercise calories back, that's all.