Busy Ladies -- When do you workout?

Options
Hi, I wanted to find out when busy ladies prefer to work out? I am married and I work 9 hours 5 days a week. 7.30 am - 5.30 pm. When I get off work I want spend some time with my husband. So I am always trying to manage my workout schedule. Working out in the morning is less practical for me as I lovee to sleep and I need to come home during lunch because we have a puppy! I am sure there are people out there who are way busier than I am. Specially the full time working moms. So it would be great if people shared their stories too :)

Replies

• callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I work about 60 hours a week and it's just easier for me to workout at night. Plus, I like going home to take a hot shower and just hop in bed after. However, I recently lost my fiance, so I've been using the gym and whatever I can to kind of keep me distracted and from spiraling into depression. That's been a huge motivator, plus being single now means I don't really have that someone to go home to. You just have to find your own strength within you! Some days I really just don't want to leave my bed to go to the gym, but then I remember how much better I always feel afterwards and how hard it is to start the cycle over again. Even a 30 min workout is better than nothing! Maybe you can switch it up and take walks with your husband during your "light/rest" days or try taking a class/joining a sport with him so that you can multitask!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    5:30 in the morning on weekdays, 9:30 in the morning one weekend day, and then I take one weekend day off.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Ask hubby to workout with you!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I work out after work and Saturday mornings. I only go to the gym once during the work week, so getting done at 7:30 doesn't really affect things. On the other nights I either run with my son, or on my treadmill, or wait until my husband gets home and then run alone. He gets home an hour after me. My husband and I have been together 18 years, 12 of those married, so it doesn't really seem like I'm not spending time with him. Working out is precious to me because it's one of the few times where I actually get to be by myself doing what I want to do.
  • maiths18
    maiths18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, thank you for replies! callmejessica, I am so sorry about your loss. But is great that you are keeping yourself busy. Workout is a powerful tool to keep the negative feelings away :) I actually play soccer with my husband once a week and take short walks with hubby and the dog. But I need more intense work out in order to lose weight. I am planning to register for half marathon on April 4th so I am trying to decide when I can work out. Like I said, I really don't like waking up...so I was planning to run between 8-9 pm with hubby. Wanted to know how it works out with other people.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I workout at home 3 days a week (have 3 kids, husband, and I'm a full time student). I workout in my basement in between laundry loads. I'm down there anyways, so I can do some calisthenics or use my Total Gym for strength training.

The other days, I'm on campus, and can easily fit in 30min-1 hour of brisk walking around the halls with our group of "hall walkers" during lunch hour.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of coffee at ~4:30 at work, and go directly on a run or to the gym after work. I don't get home until 6:30 or so, but I still have a few hours with my hubby before bed, so no big deal.
    However, I recently lost my fiance
    Oh girl I am so so sorry <3<3<3

• Do it whenever you can because it is such a worthwhile way to spend extra time and it can make you feel better in so many faucets. If I am too busy, I do not try to make extra time to work out because sleep is just as important, if not more important to me. Waking up early to work out backfires when I just end up being tired, and eating more. When I can't work out, I make a more intentional effort to eat as healthy as possible. I also like throoper's suggestion to drink some coffee as you start to slump in energy, and it can definitely motivate you to go work out toward the end of the day, as long as the caffeine doesn't affect your sleep.
  • radiatingkayla
    radiatingkayla Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest waking up 30 minutes earlier to squeeze in 20-30 minutes of activity! that way, you get it done right away and don't have to worry about where to "fit it in" :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    When I worked, I got home and ran on the treadmill immediately. Now, I stay-at home with the kids. The morning works best for me...too much distraction in the afternoon/evenings. If you get up just 30 minutes earlier, you could do some cardio and be DONE before work/life even begins.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Mostly at night- but sometimes in the morning. My BF doesn't live anywhere near me- so I only see him twice a week- so I have the evenings to work out. Then I go to dance class. Gotta get it done quickly- get it in and go home.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I try to go to the gym one weeknight and one weekend. It's not much but better than nothing.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I love sleeping too, but I like being in shape even more so I started going to bed a little earlier and getting up early enough to hit the gym and get to work by 8 in the morning.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. I set 2 alarms: 1 for 4:40 am and another for 5 am. If its a run day, I make sure I'm out of the house by 5:30 am at the latest. If its an indoor workout day, I may snooze a little bit. Then on weight and swim days, I make sure to pack my gym bag and head straight to the gym after work, because if I go home first, I won't go back out. This has been working for me and on days when I really don't feel like working out and want to sleep in, I sleep in, but I make sure those days are few and far between. I talk myself into working out most of the time and am always glad that I did.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually workout at 5:15 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Thursday I tend to do it in the evening because my daughter has Brownies plus it lets me sleep a bit later that day. Then on Saturday I do it at 10:30 a.m. while she has swimming.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work a typical 40 hour a week job from 9am-6pm. I have a 10-month-old baby and a fiance. I workout at night (with dvds and Comcast On Demand). If by chance I happen to wake up before the alarm clock goes off, then I exercise before work.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5 am M-F before work, boot camp two evenings a week and try to do a workout sometime over the weekend
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm sadly not a morning person. Id love to get up and workout but I can barely get out of bed as it is lol. I go directly to the gym after work. I actually change at work so it cuts down that 10 minutes at the gym. I'm not married but in a long term relationship. I've finally managed to get my boyfriend to work out with me so that helps a lot so we can spend time together. I take my rest day(s) during the week.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    During the summer vacation, I worked out for 2 hours a day whenever I found the time, or early in the morning. Since I started back at work in the fall I've been going to the gym for two hours Tuesdays and Thursdays in the evenings. Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, I might take off and/or do just one hour that evening depending on what the week looks like. Saturday morning I do 2 hours in the gym. I keep track on the calendar and try to be mindful of getting at least 3-4 quality workouts a week, with a goal of 5-7.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    maiths18 wrote: »
    Hi guys, thank you for replies! callmejessica, I am so sorry about your loss. But is great that you are keeping yourself busy. Workout is a powerful tool to keep the negative feelings away :) I actually play soccer with my husband once a week and take short walks with hubby and the dog. But I need more intense work out in order to lose weight. I am planning to register for half marathon on April 4th so I am trying to decide when I can work out. Like I said, I really don't like waking up...so I was planning to run between 8-9 pm with hubby. Wanted to know how it works out with other people.

If you can get him to run with you then that is awesome. I could get mine to a 5k level, but he didn't want to go longer than that. I'm not an early person either, so I run late with the exceptions of my really long run being Saturday.