Cleanse/Detox

Options
13»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    The only thing that needs to be cleansed is the rubbish spewed forth from every form of advocacy for the "importance of (insert ridiculous item here) for detoxing", and how some people link it to "boosting your metabolism". Please. The only thing that gets my metabolism going is my increased rate of certain hand gestures towards people when I'm trying to explain to people about the fallacy of detoxes.
    Amen.

This article is great:
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance?CMP=fb_gu
    and was quoted in its entirety on an MFP blog post here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/_Zardoz_/view/you-can-t-detox-your-body-it-s-a-myth-712898

51637601.png

And both were already mentioned upthread but bear repeating.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes it was. Not surprising homeopathy found it's way into a detox thread, actually expected it.

Is it time to break out the bingo cards already?

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Yes it was. Not surprising homeopathy found it's way into a detox thread, actually expected it.

Well it is almost January... :p
  • kattbigs
    kattbigs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    So, you're saying adding lemon and cayenne to my wine isn't helping me detox more?

:#
    hahahaha, UGH I BETTER STOP THAT, THEN.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I have responded really well to homeopathics
    So you're very suggestible.

Yeah....No. Perhaps you're projecting.
    I imagine so. Homeopathy is nonsense. The 'positive reactions' are entirely placebo based and psychosomatic.

Nonsense? Something either works or it doesn't. Placebo and psychosomatic may be proven over a single course of treatment/study, but what are the chances that they recur with new treatments for new ailments. The logic and science just don't correlate to placebo effect.

What is nonsense is being dismissive of entire courses of therapy because of personal belief. The definition of science is the systematic collection of data on a particular subject. That means all data. And that means all results. You don't get to choose results, you include them all. It becomes statistical at this point. What are the statistical odds that one can use a particular course of therapy with success ( traditional or alternative) that it becomes relevant? When it works.

Bringing it back to the cleanse.......
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Maybe this year we should come up with a drinking game...

Everytime the word 'detox' is mentioned, take a shot.

Being drunk sounds like a good way to get through the winter. If only I wasn't pregnant with baby due in January... story of my life... /sob
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Maybe this year we should come up with a drinking game...

Everytime the word 'detox' is mentioned, take a shot.

Being drunk sounds like a good way to get through the winter. If only I wasn't pregnant with baby due in January... story of my life... /sob

If you did that then you would down the road being talking a liver 'detox'. :)

• addokai
    addokai Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Just exactly what types of "toxins" are being "cleansed" out of my body by these so called "detox/cleanses?"

Any scientific data to support their claims???

Just curious....Thanks!
  • conniedj
    Options
    Do you really not know what "toxins" accumulate in the body? Or are you just trying to be clever? Or are you just looking for further support to debunk the already debunked "detox" portion of this topic thus far?

I can't tell if you are being earnest since you have a cheese head.

My BFF is a liver surgeon--her husband is the chief of surgery, who also started the transplant program for thier hospital. You should hear our conversations about livers! Fascinating and amusing. In the US we tend to treat the body once it reaches the diseased state. But more and more preventative measures are being prescribed as much as medications.

This is where the real power of food comes in. There are well documented foods that aid the liver in metabolisation of toxins. http://loveyourliver.com.au/loving-your-liver/diet

As far as common toxins to avoid? Pesticides and herbicides are the biggest. But for additional reading: http://loveyourliver.com.au/loving-your-liver/common-toxins-to-avoid

And one more.....if you are planning on playing "shots bingo", skip the tylenol <acetomenophin>....it competes w/ the same enzymes that metabolize alcohol....which can lead to an overdose, and liver damage...just google tylenol/hangover if you want to know more about the metabolic pathway.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i believe homeopathy is bunk in and of itself, but never underestimate the power of the placebo response. it has been documented that if a patient passionately believes this "water with just the memory of the sulphur in it" (that's how a homeopathy fan once described it to me) they will begin to experience the response they expect. sort of a "mind over matter" thing.

i think with most detox pills potions and whatnot work the same way. the only detox i've ever found effective for anything is to cram in as much vegetable juice as i can for a couple days. it helps with my headaches, either because of the fluid or because i'm more than likely correcting a nutritional deficit in the process.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Some People just don't believe in remedies that aren't 100% backed by science!!
    If homeopathic remedies work, that's great. I would much prefer to put natural things in my body over man made chemicals.
    I don't particularly care if people believe in it's effectiveness or not. If it works for you, then that's all that matters ;)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,928 Member
    Options
    conniedj wrote: »
    Do you really not know what "toxins" accumulate in the body? Or are you just trying to be clever? Or are you just looking for further support to debunk the already debunked "detox" portion of this topic thus far?

I can't tell if you are being earnest since you have a cheese head.

My BFF is a liver surgeon--her husband is the chief of surgery, who also started the transplant program for thier hospital. You should hear our conversations about livers! Fascinating and amusing. In the US we tend to treat the body once it reaches the diseased state. But more and more preventative measures are being prescribed as much as medications.

This is where the real power of food comes in. There are well documented foods that aid the liver in metabolisation of toxins. http://loveyourliver.com.au/loving-your-liver/diet

As far as common toxins to avoid? Pesticides and herbicides are the biggest. But for additional reading: http://loveyourliver.com.au/loving-your-liver/common-toxins-to-avoid

And one more.....if you are planning on playing "shots bingo", skip the tylenol <acetomenophin>....it competes w/ the same enzymes that metabolize alcohol....which can lead to an overdose, and liver damage...just google tylenol/hangover if you want to know more about the metabolic pathway.
    Which toxic relief program are you on, and which toxins are expelled, specifically ......or if you could point to a particular detox that elimanates specific toxins I'm sure everyone would be thankful of that information. Curious
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Some People just don't believe in remedies that aren't 100% backed by science!!
    If homeopathic remedies work, that's great. I would much prefer to put natural things in my body over man made chemicals.
    I don't particularly care if people believe in it's effectiveness or not. If it works for you, then that's all that matters ;)

It seems to have worked for the queen for many many years. :)

• conniedj
    Options
    Which toxic relief program are you on, and which toxins are expelled, specifically ......or if you could point to a particular detox that elimanates specific toxins I'm sure everyone would be thankful of that information. Curious

Do you even read??? Try that first, and THEN ask questions.