Diet help please ( can i eat rice and brown rice while trying to loose weight)

Options
2»

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The other piece to this puzzle is that as a person with Celiac your digestive health is likely comprimised. Therefore you will not digest things as well, especially grains and dairy. It can improve in time, but off the bat it is not working right and then neither will anything else. Eating easily diegested food, probiotics, and not using dense hard to digest whole grains right away will help. I recomment looking into "SCD Diet Lifetsyle" to use initially to get back on track and then start adding things back. Brown rice hurts my stomach way more than white rice, but all of it bloats me. I would say do white rice with sufficient healthy fats like coconut oil, olive oil, etc. and protein to help slow the blood sugar spike. Maybe in less quantity as well. I did find once I was GF for a while, my blood sugar issues normalized as gluten spikes it more and drops it further later than other carbs. Feel free to message me directly with questions.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    mehv2 wrote: »
    You could eat chocolate ice cream for every meal and still lose weight :\

lol how?

Calories in, calories out. I'm not suggesting it but the type of food you eat doesn't make much of a difference as far as pure weight loss is concerned. Now how you FEEL after you eat nothing but ice cream for a week is a different matter.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Why do people make it so complicated all the time?

Weigh your food on a digital scale, log it, stay at your calorie defecit and you'll lose weight

You don't need to worry about glycemic indexes or brown over white just focus on the number of calories you're eating against the number you're burning - you can eat rice every meal if you want to and can afford it...I had risotto for lunch and veg curry with rice for dinner yesterday

Your 40lb loss in 2-3 months is overly ambitious though...just start losing and learn as you go ...but avoid dietary rules over and above CICO, you have enough to adjust to with the coeliac avoidance lists

Read the pinned threads at the top of getting started for guidance
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ewa_dario wrote: »
    It's not as simple as calorie counting for diabetics - you might find this post helpful, it's about about finding balance as a diabetic, during the festive season http://mydario.com/blog/2014/12/01/tis-season-jolly-tips-surviving-holidays/ - hang in there!

she didn't say she was diabetic. She said she had Celiac which is an autoimmune response to the protein gluten.
  • mehv2
    mehv2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as calorie counting for diabetics - you might find this post helpful, it's about about finding balance as a diabetic, during the festive season http://mydario.com/blog/2014/12/01/tis-season-jolly-tips-surviving-holidays/ - hang in there!

she didn't say she was diabetic. She said she had Celiac which is an autoimmune response to the protein gluten.

ya and sugar level is a bit high not diabetic
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mehv2 wrote: »

ya and sugar level is a bit high not diabetic

Seriously:
    1 There is almost no difference between white and brown rice. They both increase insulin.
    2 It does not matter when you eat the rice or what you eat with it. The body still has to process the carb /blood sugar load. Try to eat less of it than you are currently eating.

If you want to continue to eat rice you can fit in into your plan by decreasing or cutting out other carbs and sugars like fruit, potatoes, sweet desserts.
    ==
    Your overall blood sugar will go down when you lose weight.
  • sharolyn15
    Options
    my understanding if you want to loose weight fast, meaning a couple of pounds per week you need to limit your carbs and eat more protein. Protein will eat your fat in your body. Eat about 5 small meals a day. Your goal should be set at 50 Carbs, 100 or more Protein and only 40 grams of Fats. !000-1200 cals and If you combine this with with a day work out even better.

Carbs, even starchy foods like carrots. potatoes, banana's all will spike your blood sugar just like candy. You will feel the high with a fast drop in your blood sugar which mean you will be tired and will process your food to fast. That's not what you want you need. For this reason you need to eat more protein to fuel your body evenly through the day. Once your body feels hungry you start burning off your muscle. Brown, white rice, pasta and even bread is all carbs and does nothing for your body but adds on more fat and feds off your muscles.

Oh, and if you eat any carb combine it with protein. It will keep you full and help your body eat off it's fats.
  • zSandman
    zSandman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Rice is a staple in my diet and I continue to lose weight. I cannot understand how anyone can train with very low to no carbs.

Just make sure you are in a caloric deficit and that your proteins and fats are hit. Once you have hit both your daily requirements for protein and fat, you can eat the rest in carbs or limit them to the percentage specified. Where the misconception comes is that when you are on a deficit, you will eat less carbs because you want to keep protein the same to maintain your lean body mass, fats the same for hormone production, however, carbs can be sacrificed.

I have lost 50 lbs eating probably a total 3 cups of white rice a day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    Holy heck, sure you can eat rice. it is a source of carbohydrates and you need them. There are other starchy sources of carbs without gluten.

The vegetables she's eating are also carbohydrates.

That said: OP, keep the rice, just cut back.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sharolyn15 wrote: »
    my understanding if you want to loose weight fast, meaning a couple of pounds per week you need to limit your carbs and eat more protein. Protein will eat your fat in your body. Eat about 5 small meals a day. Your goal should be set at 50 Carbs, 100 or more Protein and only 40 grams of Fats. !000-1200 cals and If you combine this with with a day work out even better.

Carbs, even starchy foods like carrots. potatoes, banana's all will spike your blood sugar just like candy. You will feel the high with a fast drop in your blood sugar which mean you will be tired and will process your food to fast. That's not what you want you need. For this reason you need to eat more protein to fuel your body evenly through the day. Once your body feels hungry you start burning off your muscle. Brown, white rice, pasta and even bread is all carbs and does nothing for your body but adds on more fat and feds off your muscles.

Oh, and if you eat any carb combine it with protein. It will keep you full and help your body eat off it's fats.

Nope - gosh, so much bro-science

If you want to lose weight you eat fewer calories than you use

Protein does not eat fat :shock: ...it gets you full quicker though

It doesn't matter how often or when you eat

Macro goals should be set for the individual, no issue with starting with the MFP preset percentages! and sticking with them if you get on with them

Carbs are a great fuel...particularly pre-workouts

Hunger is not a sign you're burning off muscle

• mehv2
    mehv2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    sharolyn15 wrote: »

I always eat carbs with protein always!
  • sadee2006
    sadee2006 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. You do have to measure the amount. It is surprising how much volume you get in just a 1/2 cup of rice. Plus there is more nutrients in rice than in a potato.
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump