How do I even eat?.

Options
2»

Replies

• zutari
    zutari Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow, way more people posting than I expected. I really appreciate it! I got some really good advice! I know that losing weight is most of the time as simple as intake vs outtake, but even eating pizza everyday (I don't do it, but hypothetically) even if it's a small amount won't make me any healthier, just smaller and unhealthy.

Also, it seemed like to me that there is a way to share your diary with other people?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    zutari wrote: »
    Wow, way more people posting than I expected. I really appreciate it! I got some really good advice! I know that losing weight is most of the time as simple as intake vs outtake, but even eating pizza everyday (I don't do it, but hypothetically) even if it's a small amount won't make me any healthier, just smaller and unhealthy.

Also, it seemed like to me that there is a way to share your diary with other people?

yes you can make your diary public.just click on settings

• zutari
    zutari Posts: 13 Member
    Options

yes you can make your diary public.just click on settings

Okay, it's public now for whoever asked
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My opinion on what works for me...

1. All the veggies you can stomach. Lots of variety, and not swimming in high calorie dressing or sauce or butter. A little is okay, but not too much.
    2. take it easy on the fruit. No more than 1 or 2 servings a day, and definitely "fruit" and not "fruit juice".
    3. Protein. Several small servings a day. Lean is good, but fat is not "the devil" provided you accurately track and account for the calories. In many cases, you'll need to cut the fat down, not because its bad for you... but because it pushes your calorie intake way over the top. Fat and protein will satisfy your hunger, unlike the veggies. Eat them strategically.
    4. Bread. Don't eat it if you are trying to lose weight. Same for pasta. I'd severely limit all grains if you want to lose weight.

Be very honest and accurate in your calorie intake and exercise. Use the app. It works.

I'm glad that works for you, but I've lost 27 pounds eating bread and 2-5 servings of fruit. OP, make sure you're logging accurately and eating at MFP's recommendation for calories and the weight will come off.

I lost 30 pounds eating 3-5 servings of fruit a day and some bread. I'm eating a grilled cheese sandwich right now. I try to eat mostly nutritious food, a wide variety of it and not treat any food like it's "bad." Fruit, veg, lean meat, dairy, whole grains, and some treats. Mostly figure out a plan that you can live with quite happily for the rest of your life. Otherwise, you will quit.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Why are some people so against fruit?? :( I love my fruit, and don't limit it all!

Agreed. Berries and apples are high in fibre.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    6'2 295 lbs.
    I have lost about 15 pounds but I'm not exactly sure what or how I should be eating. I know fruits and veggies but, how many? What kind? What kinds of breads? Anyone know where to start?

If you're eating at a deficit, protecting your lean muscle mass with extra protein is important. Aim for around 30% of your calories in protein. Then divide the remaining between fat and carbs in a proportion you're comfortable with. I aim for 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs, but I don't worry much about anything but the protein.

As far as what to eat, in general, try dividing your plate into 4 parts. Eat 2 parts veggies, 1 part lean protein and 1 part starch (potatoes, pasta, whole grains, etc.). That's just a starting point. Add and subtract as your macros allow, like extra veggies and fruits. For specifics, seriously, eat what you like.

Try to make room for foods that you love which aren't everyday things...like desserts, pizza, burgers, whatever. Be smart about them...buy single servings, or only buy when you have someone to split it with. But don't cut out the things you love. That just makes it that much harder to adhere to your plan.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Since you are staying close to your target calories, it may be a good time to pay attention to what fills you up and what doesn't. A personal example: I eat breakfast. If I have a bowl of cereal or a slice of toast, I am often hungry about an hour before lunch. If I have a bowl of oatmeal (made with 1/2 c old fashioned oats, not a packet of instant) I don't get hungry.

There really is no answer to your question of what to eat and how much. Everybody is different and how much protein, fat, or carbs will be ideal will vary with each person. You have to decide for yourself what makes you feel best. The MFP defaults are a good place to start. Keep eating to reach the macro goals that are given you for a couple of weeks, not just the calories. If you find that you are getting hungry at a certain time, see if maybe adding more protein to the meal before will help you stay fuller longer. It really is a process. I have been on MFP almost a year and I am still tweaking my macros.

Good luck to you, OP. MFP works if you use it. Log everything and weigh and measure your food to get your logging as accurate as possible.

58841349.png
  • bananabeannn
    bananabeannn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and eat what it tells you it wants.

And if you don't know what to eat, stop trying to figure it out with your brain. Can you take a few minutes and get in touch with how your body feels? What does it need to feel nourished?

For me, being out of touch with my body is why I binged and ate such *kitten* food. When I stopped to think about what I actually wanted, I realized it was neither cookies cookies all the time cookies, nor whole grain rice and a dry baked chicken breast. It was something in between.

Have you ever considered meditating?

When did I become a crazy person? Haha a few years ago I would have read my reply and said just stick to the science, crazy lady! But anyway, I just speak from my experience.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    6'2 295 lbs.
    I have lost about 15 pounds but I'm not exactly sure what or how I should be eating. I know fruits and veggies but, how many? What kind? What kinds of breads? Anyone know where to start?

Start with healthy balanced meals. For lunch and dinner, you can use something like this as a guide:

platemethod.gif

So you can basically think of your lunches and dinners as half veggies, quarter protein (meat), quarter carbs (rice, pasta, baked potatoes, bread). Here are some examples:

plate.jpg

mcdc22_healthy_meals_portion_sizes.jpg

Breakfasts are a little trickier. Just try not to have too much fat/oil in your breakfast and try to include: protein (EGGS, but ham, turkey, or turkey bacon are all great options too), some vegetables if you can (such as spinach and tomatoes in an omelette), a little bit of dairy (yogurt, cheese, or milk), grains (oatmeal or a small piece of toast), FIBER (fruit is an excellent source!)

For snacks, think 100-300 calories. You can have: grains (i.e. granola or crackers), fiber (FRUIT!), protein (a little bit of tuna, greek yogurt is also a great high-protein snack), healthy fats (nuts and natural nut butters), dairy (yogurt, cheese), and raw veggies.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You might really enjoy reading a book called Eat to Live by Dr. Joel furhman.....he recommends a cup of beans a day....four fruits a day....a pound of cooked vegetables and a pound of raw veggies.....and some seeds and nuts each day.....google his videos and books and you can learn what he recommends for optimum health.......
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you like, in a caloric deficit and you'll lose.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Eat the foods you like, in a caloric deficit and you'll lose.

she is wise beyond her years