Any special spices or sauces to give chicken, fish, beef alittle boost of flavor

Options
Been kinda lost since end of Sept. Long story. The chicken, turkey, fish, were becoming so boring and not very taste. Any help? What's in your spice rack?

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food so I use Indian spices a lot. Cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cardamom, nutmeg, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, cinnamon...not necessarily all at once. I've been into Cuban food recently, so I've been cooking a lot with allspice.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Oh lyttlewon you beat me to it. I use a lot of the Indian/Malaysian/Thai spices when cooking.
    I usually mix and grind from scratch, but there are plenty of mixes and rubs in the supermarkets now.
    I also use salad dressings as a marinade for chicken and fish. A little goes a long way and no extra oil is needed.
    Yogurt and herbs are also a tasty way to add a little flavour.
    Experiments in the kitchen are fun.
    Cheers, h.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Rosemary and thyme
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Cumin, Cumin, Cumin Cumin.

And paprika and lime.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am not affiliated with this company in any way - but have you ever heard of the Savory Spice Shop? I have a pantry full of their spice blends. They make some great mixes and it helps me not get into a rut with my cooking. Plus I don't have to keep a bottle for each individual spice so I save space by having mixes. I order online, and often my family join me in the order so we have enough to get free shipping. :)
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Turmeric is a great mood enhancer that has also had results in reducing certain types of cancer cells! I put it on some of my food just for the former, the latter is a bonus lol
  • ofdwolf
    ofdwolf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Cavender's Greek Seasoning (No Salt version) on chicken pork and beef, sometimes on veggies too. Play around with your spice rack to find new flavors you like. Check different recipe sites for rubs and different recipes to change up how you make the same meats. I use All Recipes to find new ways to cook old bird.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash has some great mixed spices. Beings they are salt free, you can control the sodium also. Table blend, garlic and herb, and spicy are some of my favorites.
  • buggzero
    buggzero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Was feeling very similar about chicken a few months ago, felt like we had it every week and it was boring and repetitive. Found a recipe for Chicken Adobo on youtube, it was very similar to this one: foodnetwork.com/recipes/filipino-chicken-adobo-recipe.html
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Siracha, vinegar, ketchup, mustard, Mrs. Dash spices, salsa.

Now I just slow crock pot 5lbs. of chicken for 8 hours on Sunday with a flavor or barbecue sauce, salsa, or hot sauce.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Got a Penzey's nearby? Their spice blends pretty much rule. They sell all sorts in small jars for experimentation.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I always combine low sodium soy sauce, stevia, and minced garlic to put over my fish.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Smoked paprica
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Chicken or fish baked with salsa is delicious and easy.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Favorite herb/spice mixtures: Exotic: garam masala. Comforting: herbes de provence. Spicy: Weber's Kickin' Chicken.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I better get myself in the kitchen and get my act together.
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to share
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    cumin is great with chicken!

and siracha mayo or a homemade spicy mayo make everything taste better! It even makes veggies taste great!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Pizza
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,939 Member
    Options
    All the spices and herbs, just experiment.