Is it better to (lifting and weight loss)

Options
I have about 25 more pounds to lose (bringing me to an 85 pound loss).

I only recently decided that I want to start lifting when I finish losing. My question is: is that the best way to approach it? Losing first, then lifting? Or should I start now?

TIA :)

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Start now. Lifting while you lose preserves muscle ensuring that more of what is lost is fat, and that less is muscle.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yep, start now. You can only benefit your weightloss by doing so.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I do strength training right now, but the weights are small. I also do yoga, so my muscles look pretty amazing (considering starting point) right now. I want to be more serious about it.

Off to google how to get started - thanks for the help!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I have about 25 more pounds to lose (bringing me to an 85 pound loss).

I only recently decided that I want to start lifting when I finish losing. My question is: is that the best way to approach it? Losing first, then lifting? Or should I start now?

TIA :)
    Start now!! Start yesterday!! The best way to really get serious about doing weights is to choose a proven beginner routine that focuses on compound lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, row, etc). Check out ICF 5x5, Stronglifts, or Starting Strength. All three are excellent beginner choices!

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Stumptuous

It's weight lifting for woman, but not the pink kind. Krista is awesome. I had a lot of success in building strength following her advice.

And The Gospel of Sq'waht is a scream.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it!!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now. It's a fantastic form of exercise that promotes weight loss. Weight lifting was by far the largest component of my fitness regime the whole time I lost 64 lbs.

Allan
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    agree with starting now - but I really believe in lifting heavy
    Stumptuous

It's weight lifting for woman, but not the pink kind. Krista is awesome. I had a lot of success in building strength following her advice.

And The Gospel of Sq'waht is a scream.

that is just genius:heart_eyes:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Start yesterday...

ETA- Stronglifts 5X5
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    Options
    Last year I ran 3 miles a day 6 days a week and didn't lose too much weight. I Started lifting this year and reduced to 2 miles a day and lost weight very quickly. Starting the strength training might help you lose weight.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Lift now. The muscle you build now will help burn more calories later.
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had the same question, but I have already dropped the weight (down 52 lbs, 4 from my TG). I have not done any serious weight training since HS football 20 years ago. Now I want to start toning, but I don't have access to a gym; my exercise has been limited to running. I do have a small set of dumbbells.

Are there any programs that are effective in improving definition without having access to the gym, or do I need to look at getting a membership?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yea for OP starting to lift weights. Start now.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started lifting this past May. I'm not losing the pounds as quickly but my body has shrunk to the same size it was when I weighed 10 pounds less a few years ago. Loss of muscle is the main reason our metabolism gets slower as we get older. Adding muscle will help to fight that as well as making you look good.

Compound lifts with free weights are better than the machines but the machines are better than not doing anything. I put on quite a bit of muscle just using the machines because I was afraid to get started any other way. So, it doesn't really matter which program you pick, just get started as soon as you can.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yep, definitely start ASAP! I started lifting in January and while my weight loss has slowed because I've gotten closer to my goal (NOT because of lifting), I can tell how my overall health is WAY better. My muscle tone is getting awesome, I can actually SEE definition in some spots. I about died in DSW Shoes the other day while I was walking around in a pair of heels to see if I liked them (I hate most heels but sometimes....) and realized from the mirror that when I walked in them, I could see calf muscle. I've got thick calves but to know that it's visible when I walk, I was ecstatic.

Lift, lift, lift! I do the Stronglifts 5x5 routine basically though I may need to change it up. (I use the lift schedule but don't increase weight like they do, I just increase as I feel I can add more so I used SL as a guide) Need to research, not sure. I can't tell you how much I look forward to deadlift days though. Something about deadlifts just gives me a boost for the whole damn day.

I hired a personal trainer for 2 sessions just to walk me through form. I watched all the videos I could and did all the reading, but I really wanted a spotcheck. I highly recommend this but with the caveat that you be VERY CLEAR with the trainer what you want. My trainer kept focusing on light dumbbells and I had to be almost nasty to get the squats, deadlifts, overhead press, and bench press training. She didn't show me anything but dumbbell rows and to this day I'm still doing those because I'm worried I'll do them wrong using the bar. So in theory it's a good idea, but get someone who lifts. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    rgrady33 wrote: »
    I had the same question, but I have already dropped the weight (down 52 lbs, 4 from my TG). I have not done any serious weight training since HS football 20 years ago. Now I want to start toning, but I don't have access to a gym; my exercise has been limited to running. I do have a small set of dumbbells.

Are there any programs that are effective in improving definition without having access to the gym, or do I need to look at getting a membership?
    Use the dumbbells until you outgrow them. Do a Google or Youtube search on body weight exercises. You can also lift things around your house. Gallon milk jugs filled with water or sand make great hand weights.

Do what you can at home until it's easy. At that point, you can decide if you need to purchase heavier weights or a gym membership.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ERMERGHERD START NAOW!!!!!!!

I started when I had about 30 pounds left to lose. OH MY GOD why DID I WAIT??????????

After about 3 months of steady lifting, the pounds were dropping like flies.

it's a beautiful moment - when you switch from - 'i hate all of this and need to lose it' - to - 'I love myself and i wonder how strong i can be and what I am capable of.-
  • rgrady33
    rgrady33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    rgrady33 wrote: »

Use the dumbbells until you outgrow them. Do a Google or Youtube search on body weight exercises. You can also lift things around your house. Gallon milk jugs filled with water or sand make great hand weights.

Do what you can at home until it's easy. At that point, you can decide if you need to purchase heavier weights or a gym membership.

Thanks! Given the hiatus in my lifting program I am hoping to get some traction through home exercises (sit-ups, push-ups, dumbbells, etc) before jumping back into the big stuff.