Going over sugar when eating fruit

Options
13»

Replies

• Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is always better than processed sugar. In fact, and you can ask any doctor, if you cut out all processed sugar you can eat unlimited fruit. Been there, done that, lost weight!

Garbage.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^ for a while my life consisted of eating only bananas and medjool dates. Gained 8 lbs. Thanks but no thanks Freelee!
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I don't pay attention to sugar because the majority of mine comes from natural foods. Processed sugary foods are usually full of chemicals and junk. It is easy to sit down and eat a bowl of small candy bars because I just keep wanting more and more. But a whole bowl of grapes? Not going to happen! That is usually why people caution against sugar...

After about three of those things my stomach begins to turn. You must have an iron stomach to be able to eat a bowl of small candy bars and still want more.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    Sugar from fruit is always better than processed sugar. In fact, and you can ask any doctor, if you cut out all processed sugar you can eat unlimited fruit. Been there, done that, lost weight!

So, you're saying that if I eat 20 large bananas per day (about 136g each, 121 calsd) then I won't gain weight? Even though that's 2,420 cals, and my TDEE is only about 2000? Those extra 420 cals aren't going to do anything? Really?

You would gain weight from not being able to poop for a month.
    Heh!

Laurend224 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^ for a while my life consisted of eating only bananas and medjool dates. Gained 8 lbs. Thanks but no thanks Freelee!
    Nothing wrong with eating just bananas and dates, you obvs just ate too much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I thought the fibre in fruit stops the sugar spikes because it's digested slower? ?

nope, science says that doesn't happen. The blood glucose curve for the first 30 - 60 mins is the same for fruit, juice or puree.

Unless you're eating sugar out of a bowl then all the other foods containing sugar also have fibre, fat and protein that may influence digestion rates.

dammit lol Thanks for your reply!
    I'm sticking to eating plenty of fruit. It's summer here, and fresh yummy fruit is everywhere :p

• Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I go over my sugar budget everyday because I eat lots of fruit. If its sugar from processed foods then I would worry but if it is sugar mainly from fruits then you are fine. As long as you are still within you caloric range you should be fine.