Sports Bras.

Replies

• ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    I am a G cup so it is almost impossible to find sports bras. I am currently using two different ones from Lane Bryant, the convertable strap and the molded cup. They run true to size, are very supportive, and wash well. So, far I like both of them equally.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    ajcamber wrote: »
    I am a G cup so it is almost impossible to find sports bras. I am currently using two different ones from Lane Bryant, the convertable strap and the molded cup. They run true to size, are very supportive, and wash well. So, far I like both of them equally.

If you're in the UK then the link I posted runs (har) to a G cup.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I'm a 36I and once I found Freya active bras I wear nothing else. You have to invest a pretty penny, they typically run $60-80 but they last and you can always find sales on line. I run, jump rope, jump on a trampoline and have no problem with bounce.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    I love the Enell bras. I'm a 42DDD/E (depending on country) and I can't say enough good things about them. They run on the expensive side, though. I think I paid $50 for mine on sale and they run about $60-80.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am sticking with cheap sports bras until I stop shrinking.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    In used to be very large chested, 40 H, so I have an Enell. It's not pretty, but I have almost zero bounce. I've lost 4 cup sizes, so right now I am wearing a cotton under armour underneath.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Do any of the larger running sports bras you've mentioned have a black closure or are they all typical over the head sports bras? I loved my Champion underwire sports bras when I was still a DD but I went up to an E early in my pregnancy and I still haven't found a good replacement.

I have just been using a normal underwire bra, because I'm not sure if they will go back down later maybe after I finish nursing or not. I would like to get a good supportive bra for when I go back to exercising normally. I have the worst time taking them off over my head when they are all sweaty and cold so I would really love another with a back closure.

*edit* I went ahead and looked up the ones that were mentioned, I wish I could delete my comments.
  • sassysniper
    sassysniper Posts: 156 Member
    If you are large breasted, paying $50 for a bra is not a bad investment for your health. We can suffer from back problems and more without sufficient support.

A well-constructed bra will also last a lot longer than a cheap one.

For impact sports, I have a couple of bras that stop me from bouncing and are an incredible change from the unsupportive ones I had before. I have one from Athleta with an underwire and one without that are both compression bras - the underwire one works also for regular use. I also have one by Asics that's pretty good, but nowhere as attractive as the Athleta ones. They cost about $40. With hand washing they'll last a long time.

You're so right about the back problems. Let's not forget shoulder issues too. I'm a DDD, and I've yet to find a comfy sports bra. I've found some that will stop most of the bounce but are miserable to wear. I'm going to check out some of these brands listed in this thread!
  • sassysniper
    sassysniper Posts: 156 Member

Lazy, What workout bra do you currently wear?

I wear an M&S high-impact underwire.
    High front coverage for bounce, excellent structure, thick padded straps and triple hook back.

It was around £27 or so - definitely under 30.

EDIT - it's £25
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/high-impact-flexible-underwired-sports-a-g-bra/p/p22272977

Thanks for posting the link. I'm going to check these out.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    I have the Armour Bra by Under Armour. I'm a DD and while there is still some bounce (with girls this big there will always be bounce) it isn't as bad and I feel more secure. The model I have is older than the one's they have now but I would definately buy another. I've finished C25K and plan on building my mileage starting in Jan. I run 3-4 times a week. I hope this helps.
    I LOVED the Armour Bra for high impact (I play football) and still threw another compression over top just the help the shoulder pads fit better. BUT (and I"'m curious if you have found this):
    - the straps are terrible. They don't stay put at all anymore! Now I barely have any support and the "bounce is back" so to speak. This may be in part to me becoming smaller as well... but the if I put the straps at the tightest, by the end of a workout, they've slid back to the end =(
    - the boob inserts (technical name for them clearly) don't stay put. I just took them out right away,
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    arrrrjt wrote: »
    I have the Armour Bra by Under Armour. I'm a DD and while there is still some bounce (with girls this big there will always be bounce) it isn't as bad and I feel more secure. The model I have is older than the one's they have now but I would definately buy another. I've finished C25K and plan on building my mileage starting in Jan. I run 3-4 times a week. I hope this helps.
    I LOVED the Armour Bra for high impact (I play football) and still threw another compression over top just the help the shoulder pads fit better. BUT (and I"'m curious if you have found this):
    - the straps are terrible. They don't stay put at all anymore! Now I barely have any support and the "bounce is back" so to speak. This may be in part to me becoming smaller as well... but the if I put the straps at the tightest, by the end of a workout, they've slid back to the end =(
    - the boob inserts (technical name for them clearly) don't stay put. I just took them out right away,
    Mine is getting looser, but I've attributed that to losing weight. I have the back clasp at the middle hook where it used to be at the loosest. Every once in a while I have to tighten up the shoulder straps again but I'm so used to having to do that with regular bras that I don't even think about it.

The one I have now is actually the second one I've bought (accidentally left my first one on a cruise ship lol). The first one rubbed my shoulders raw at the seams. It was quite some time before I replaced it and the new one didn't give me that problem. I'll probably have to replace again in the next year due to weight loss.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Another vote for the M&S high impact bras in the UK, I much prefer them to Shock Absorbers. And if you're not fussy about the colour, you can often pick up the less popular colours in the sale for about £9 to £12.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Another vote for the M&S high impact bras in the UK, I much prefer them to Shock Absorbers. And if you're not fussy about the colour, you can often pick up the less popular colours in the sale for about £9 to £12.

I have a shock absorber - unimpressed.

Love the M&S. I'm going to get more of that exact one.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    I've worn Moving Comfort for a long time (they're especially great if you're larger), but recently when I went to get fitted the woman at the bra store sold me an Anita Momentum bra, and I've bought another one since. It doesn't give you uniboob, if that's a concern, and it's so comfortable that a couple of times this summer I wore it as a regular bra on very hot days, since the fabric wicks. There are a ton of sales on-line right now, but like most decent bras, the Anita bras run about $70. I'd never heard of the brand before--I think it's Belgian.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    I feel like bra companies should start sending me free samples for endorsing their products, lol. I feel as though I've tried everything out there, and I have run 30 minutes at a time with size H boobs, so I think I can feel the plight of most women who struggle trying to find supportive bras.

My two current favorites:

Panache underwire. What I love about this bra is that it has underwire, and will separate your boobs like no other sports bra, while still being moisture wicking and supportive. It has a clip to convert to racerback. Use it. It is pricey. I keep my eyes every day for sales, and the lowest I've seen it go is about $45. Mostly it retails at $65.

Shock Absorber Ultimate Run: This is my other favorite. Uniboob, but incredible support. I can run with those size H's I mentioned and have zero bounce. Really- zero bounce. Its amazing. It is light, easy to clip yourself in the back to convert to racerback, and with no underwire, washes very easily. This also retails for about $65, but if you watch Amazon sales, you can find deals. I snagged one a few months back for $25 and I've often seen certain sizes dip to this price.

Glamorise: Is a decent runner up for a bra in the $20 range. Not as good, but better than most others and best in its price range.

Tricks and tips:
    Get the right size. This is so important and you can't really go over or under a size. The Shock Absorber I now love? When I first tried it was a little on the small side and I hated it. I lost 10 lbs and now it fits amazingly. Conversely, my Panache fits terrible and provides much less support now than it did 30-40 lbs ago.

Use the racerback feature. It provides so much more support.

This may sound obvious, but adjust your boobs once in. Make sure the bottom band is flat and you are supported with the shelf.

I have also tried wearing two bras or a regular bra and sports bra. I have very supportive, expensive, well-fitted bras. None of them have ever come close to what a good sports bra can do, especially if you run or do any sort of higher impact activity.

You can get by with just one quality sports bra. I hand wash and hang dry over night. It takes 3 minutes of effort. These are technical fabrics that dry fast.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Anyone know a good brand for small band/large cup combo? I feel like so many brands go S-M-L and I end up in a Small (which fits my band size) that cannot contain my spectacular rack (tee-hee) or a medium which contains the boobage but is too loose around the ribcage to provide any meaningful support.....
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Unfortunately, when you are busty, you have to spend lots of money on sports bras in order to get the support we need. I'm an E cup and wear Shock Absorber, Panache, and Under Armour sports bras. I have Champion as well which I wear when I am doing light exercise.
  • LazyButHealthy
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Anyone know a good brand for small band/large cup combo? I feel like so many brands go S-M-L and I end up in a Small (which fits my band size) that cannot contain my spectacular rack (tee-hee) or a medium which contains the boobage but is too loose around the ribcage to provide any meaningful support.....

One reason why I'm not a huge fan of buying in regular sports shops.

I instead buy in reliable, quality high street stores with regular bra measurements, not S-M-L.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Enell.com - its one hefty bra, keeps even big girls from moving...
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    I like Lululemon " ta-ta tamer" and "the bust stops here" bras because they have a support strip at the top of the cup, to keep the bounce to a minimum. The compression is solid but not super tight so I don't feel squished, just "controlled", lol. I don't know the highest cup size they carry, but I am a 34DD and they have my size.

The secret to reducing bounce is not so much the support on the bottom, but on the top, to keep them from jumping up in the first place. Bottom support and compression are necessary, of course, but without top support (or extreme compression that essentially is all-over strong support) you will still bounce.

For those of you wearing 3 or 4 bras and still bouncing, it might be worth trying an ace bandage or other compression method over the top 1/3-2/3 of your bust, angled lower in the back to exert downward pressure. Not the prettiest, but it'll keep 'em in line if nothing else does. (in addition to a bra, not instead of.you still want the bottom support and the coverage)

The largest sports bra I ever made was a J-cup with top, bottom, and side control panels, and it worked great (didn't look so cute, admittedly, but under clothes, who cares?). I don't make them anymore because they are super labour-intensive and the cost was prohibitive for most women, but if you are outside the available size ranges and don't mind spending $150-250 on a really good bra, it's an option.

I also love Lululemon's bras!