124»

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    DPernet wrote: »
    Go for a walk and earn that treat :p

Clearly you don't live in the Northeast lololol

LMAO. I do. Took a walk today (Admittedly, I had to -- from the bus stop to my house)

Swear before God, it WAS uphill and in a snowstorm...

With no shoes on...lololol
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I never burned out. But I was in a cast for the past 2 months due to a broken leg, and put on 4 pounds due to inactivity. I've decided to simply maintain until January and then address it.

I have begun working out again and increasing my daily steps back to their previous level of >10,000 a day - this week I increased my goal to 8,000 steps - success yesterday, but missing 1500 today.

The last 7 pounds are best done .5 a week - you get to eat more and it's easier to start maintenance that way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, well, good for you I guess if you manage to stick to it without exercising. I exercise so I can eat more, personally, because I'd just be very sad maintaining at 1700 calories when I can maintain at 2100+ (and I live in the NE too). But if you don't want to and you manage to stick to it, more power to you.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I know!! I'm such a bad person! Shame on me! Lemme run tonight - in the dark, flooded streets in 40 mile an hour winds so I can be like the crazy people :)

FTFY. :D

Seriously, though (as in my first post): eat at maintenance (or even a bit over), enjoy the holidays, and then start afresh with the new year. You know what you need to do, and you've succeeded thus far, so just take it easy for a bit.
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Tracy, just so you know, I am your height (5'7.5) and age (41). I apparently got to a weight last week that MFP deemed I was thin enough, so it automatically "yelled" at me (lol) and changed my calories to 1830 a day. I was shocked because I really think 1830 is wayyyyyy too much to "maintain", but that's what MFP gave me. I just wanted to share that info. <3

.....oh, and to edit in, I don't exercise, either. Lol.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Tracy, just so you know, I am your height (5'7.5) and age (41). I apparently got to a weight last week that MFP deemed I was thin enough, so it automatically "yelled" at me (lol) and changed my calories to 1830 a day. I was shocked because I really think 1830 is wayyyyyy too much to "maintain", but that's what MFP gave me. I just wanted to share that info. <3

.....oh, and to edit in, I don't exercise, either. Lol.

@robinsvitakjones - are people totally shocked when you tell them you lost x-amount of weight without working out? People look at me like "how is that even possible!!??"

I'm just aiming for the healthy BMI - and according to my BMI I'm still technically 7 pounds overweight. Ideally I'd like to lose 13-15 pounds because I plan on quitting smoking in March after I have foot surgery and I hear there's at least a 5 pound weight gain when you quit.

That being said - I need to be careful because from the waist up I'm starting to look a bit 'boney' and have completely lost my boobs :(

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You dont have to formally "exercise". I live in a cube farm all day too. You can easily burn 100 more calories a day just by rerouting yourself to the farthest bathroom, or going to the bathroom twice as often (have to walk the distance twice as much), etc. No sweating, just upping your base calories. If you do that in addition to switching to maintenance calories, you might still lose a little and if not it will at least let you indulge a little more.

If you can, stand up and stretch every hour or so (not like gym stretching, just like yawning with arms above head). Fidget for 5 minutes every hour (tap your foot, play air drums, whatever). Just moving a little bit more will raise your calories burned a little and give you just a little more leeway.

Getting a fitbit type pedometer could really help you as well. Not only will it give you a more objective idea of your daily calorie burn (just so you know what it is), but it gives you a bit of incentive. If it says you are walking 3000 steps a day (very little) and burning 1800 calories, you might be (1) more confident in eating 1700 calories and not so worried about gaining and (2) see how easy it is to make very very small changes and get it up to 4000 steps a day and 1850 calories or something. It shows you what a small change in movement can mean for eating and burning calories. I like objective measurements.

If you get inspired, start doing curls with water bottles or something. You dont have to have anything formal or every, just focus on contracting the muscle and releasing it. Do that at lunch for 15 reps or something. Slow baby steps. Doesnt have to be "cardio" or "weight lifting" to have an impact!

Good luck :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I'm impressed nobody has jumped all over your case yet about eating so little! Usually these threads can be harsh. I used to be a 1200 cal a day girl too, that how I lost most of my weight but I learned that I also lost a lot of muscle losing so fast. Basically you absolutely should never eat less than your BMR. So instead of just eating more for a few weeks... Consider smoothly transitioning into losing your last few pounds slowly and then into maintenance? That's what I'm trying for my last 7 pounds and I've still lost steadily eating more!

thankfully most of the people that used to freak about it, figured out that it is actually ideal for an entire demographic.

[applause]

• AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    I'm impressed nobody has jumped all over your case yet about eating so little! Usually these threads can be harsh. I used to be a 1200 cal a day girl too, that how I lost most of my weight but I learned that I also lost a lot of muscle losing so fast. Basically you absolutely should never eat less than your BMR. So instead of just eating more for a few weeks... Consider smoothly transitioning into losing your last few pounds slowly and then into maintenance? That's what I'm trying for my last 7 pounds and I've still lost steadily eating more!

thankfully most of the people that used to freak about it, figured out that it is actually ideal for an entire demographic.

[applause]

I don't know about that...but it does work for people like me with thyroid disease. I had a physical last month and my doctor told me that people with thyroid disease (I have Hashimoto's) have to work 10x harder to lose weight than those who don't. For the most part, 1200 has worked great for me...and for those times where I felt a little extra hungry (usually around my TOM) i'd up it to 1250/1290. I've lost steadily 1-3 pounds a week and really do feel great.
  • LadyGrey75
    LadyGrey75 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    have something that I crave like hot chocolate, possibly lower calorie than kids versions, out of my calorie savings
    ...Swiss Miss makes a diet hot choc mix that is only 25 cals per packet and it is GREAT! I add a little splenda to make it a little sweeter...
  • LadyGrey75
    Options
    [/quote]

I know what you're trying to do here and it isn't going to work.

I lost 48 pounds. I started at 1400 calories a day and adjusted along the way.

I came here today because I'm honestly getting burned out and it's Christmas and I want to enjoy it. I was given great advice to go on maintenance for a few weeks, then pick back up after the holidays. I think this is a great idea and it's exactly what I'm going to do. So you picking a fight with me over my 1200 calories is kinda moot. Nice try though!![/quote]

Some people just wanna be buttheads, love your answer. As we talked before I too started at a higher calorie range and had absolutely NO results and slowly kept dropping my daily calories until I started getting results. People need to understand theat everyone is different and get different results. They need to see that we are not trying to loose a bunch of weight super fast but our bodies fight us and try to hold on to our flab a little longer!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    LadyGrey75 wrote: »

I know what you're trying to do here and it isn't going to work.

I lost 48 pounds. I started at 1400 calories a day and adjusted along the way.

I came here today because I'm honestly getting burned out and it's Christmas and I want to enjoy it. I was given great advice to go on maintenance for a few weeks, then pick back up after the holidays. I think this is a great idea and it's exactly what I'm going to do. So you picking a fight with me over my 1200 calories is kinda moot. Nice try though!![/quote]

Some people just wanna be buttheads, love your answer. As we talked before I too started at a higher calorie range and had absolutely NO results and slowly kept dropping my daily calories until I started getting results. People need to understand theat everyone is different and get different results. They need to see that we are not trying to loose a bunch of weight super fast but our bodies fight us and try to hold on to our flab a little longer![/quote]

Thanks, my friend! Yeah - I wish I was one of those lucky people who can still lose while eating 1400+ calories a day. Technically it would still be a deficit, but sadly I just don't. I know I'm not a 'special snowflake' lololol
  • LadyGrey75
    Options
    Awe I will let you be special snowflake anytime you wanna be!!!!hehehe
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

[applause]

I don't know about that...but it does work for people like me with thyroid disease. I had a physical last month and my doctor told me that people with thyroid disease (I have Hashimoto's) have to work 10x harder to lose weight than those who don't. For the most part, 1200 has worked great for me...and for those times where I felt a little extra hungry (usually around my TOM) i'd up it to 1250/1290. I've lost steadily 1-3 pounds a week and really do feel great.

Well, having a health issue is a completely different story. Thyroid affects insulin and glucose systems and leptin (which is a hormone relating to appetite and fat storage). The effects of Hashimoto's typically lowers BMR. So, I take back my earlier statement that 1200 is under your BMR, perhaps it isn't. Anyway, I still agree a diet break over the holiday is good. But you probably cannot rely on TDEE calculators to know what your maintenance level is.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I feel like my last few pounds are "vanity pounds" because I doubt I'll look that much different after losing only 7 more ...

They're "punishment pounds" for being too lame to run in crappy weather like the People Who Are Better Than You do.

In bweogilvie's defense, he never SAID he was better than anyone for running in that weather. He admitted it was crazy! I personally can't handle that cold weather, but some can, so more power to him!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

[applause]

Well, having a health issue is a completely different story. Thyroid affects insulin and glucose systems and leptin (which is a hormone relating to appetite and fat storage). The effects of Hashimoto's typically lowers BMR. So, I take back my earlier statement that 1200 is under your BMR, perhaps it isn't. Anyway, I still agree a diet break over the holiday is good. But you probably cannot rely on TDEE calculators to know what your maintenance level is.

I agree... I think it's going to be trial and error with trying to figure out what they are. As long as I don't gain too much initially I'll be ok...

Yes - a break is for sure in order. After all, I think people would start to talk if I lugged around my food scale to parties :wink: