question about cheat meals

Options
I'm currently on a 1200 cal diet and usually i have a cheat meal one a week or 2 and it's working wonderfully. ( i lost 4kg)

So today i was bored and decided to bake a lemon cake for my family but ended up eating 2 slices of the cake! I know i shouldn't do that but what is done is done.

Here is my question : I am still felling very full now so i decided to skip dinner. When i calculate today's calorie intake, it is still until my calorie goal! If that is the case, should i still consider the cake as a cheat meal? To tell you the truth i will be very sad if i can't enjoy my cheat meal this weekend haha. :stuck_out_tongue:

Any suggestion or opinion will be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What on earth?

OK you have a daily calorie goal - without exercise (eg you add in calories from exercise and eat those too)

You can look at that over the week if you want to.

But if you choose to eat your 1200 calories in doughnuts and lemon cake for the day and then stop you will still lose weight (You may not feel great longterm but you will lose weight)

I don't do cheat meals - I eat what I want within my weekly calorie limits ... it works
  • animall
    animall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What on earth?

OK you have a daily calorie goal - without exercise (eg you add in calories from exercise and eat those too)

You can look at that over the week if you want to.

But if you choose to eat your 1200 calories in doughnuts and lemon cake for the day and then stop you will still lose weight (You may not feel great longterm but you will lose weight)

I don't do cheat meals - I eat what I want within my weekly calorie limits ... it works

I know that it is a stupid question but i need some opinion. thank you
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No it is not a cheat. It just shows you ate really high carbs/sugar on this day. You have to eat 3500/cal to gain weight. It will hurt if you ate the whole thing. LOL

I have done this before and it all works out in the end. I have say what will power you have to skip dinner because you were "bad" (which you were not).

And if made the lemon I would have definitely had a piece or two.

If is not meant eat, why cook it?
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I will add this, if a person ate 1200 calories in cocoa puffs, peanut butter crackers, poptarts, ravioli and this added up to 1200 calories. It is still 1200 calories.

I think the thing is "where is the nutrition in this". There are those that do eat like this and perfectly fine! I ate like this when I was single and living alone. It was cheap and easy. I was not fat..

So a piece of lemon cake is not hurting your calorie goal or weight loss. I do a cheat meal where I eat fast food every Friday. Something I like, but it is still calorie efficient. FOr example if I go to Arby's I pick a meal within my calorie goal...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't usually respond to this sort of post. Hmm, so I gues i won't.
  • animall
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I will add this, if a person ate 1200 calories in cocoa puffs, peanut butter crackers, poptarts, ravioli and this added up to 1200 calories. It is still 1200 calories.

I think the thing is "where is the nutrition in this". There are those that do eat like this and perfectly fine! I ate like this when I was single and living alone. It was cheap and easy. I was not fat..

So a piece of lemon cake is not hurting your calorie goal or weight loss. I do a cheat meal where I eat fast food every Friday. Something I like, but it is still calorie efficient. FOr example if I go to Arby's I pick a meal within my calorie goal...

Thank you, but i don't understand something you said. If my cake doesn't considered as a cheat meal, why would your "within my calorie goal" food considered a cheat meal? Sorry because english is not my native language i always have a hard time understanding what people says.

MrM27 wrote: »
    No it is not a cheat. It just shows you ate really high carbs/sugar on this day. You have to eat 3500/cal to gain weight. It will hurt if you ate the whole thing. LOL

I have done this before and it all works out in the end. I have say what will power you have to skip dinner because you were "bad" (which you were not).

No, you eat 3500 over maintenence to gain a pound, not general weight. You eat 1750 over maintenance and you gain half a pound and so on.

You don't have to skip dinner just because you had cake. That's not a safe game to play.

OP, nothing wrong with a little cake.
    Sure, i admit that I'm skipping meal partly because I'm feeling guilty, but the main reason that is because i really do feel very stuffed.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    animall wrote: »

Thank you, but i don't understand something you said. If my cake doesn't considered as a cheat meal, why would your "within my calorie goal" food considered a cheat meal? Sorry because english is not my native language i always have a hard time understanding what people says.

MrM27 wrote: »

No, you eat 3500 over maintenence to gain a pound, not general weight. You eat 1750 over maintenance and you gain half a pound and so on.

You don't have to skip dinner just because you had cake. That's not a safe game to play.

OP, nothing wrong with a little cake.
    Sure, i admit that I'm skipping meal partly because I'm feeling guilty, but the main reason that is because i really do feel very stuffed.

any meal/ food within a calorie goal wouldn't be considered a 'cheat' in my opinion

and tbh if I was stuffed on cake then I'd not eat a meal either .. going with how full you feel is a good guideline, sometimes
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First of all, I don't call it cheat, because I'm not doing anything wrong. Secondly, you didn't go over in calories, so where is the problem? Lastly, even if you did go over, log it and move on. This is about a lifestyle change, not some strict regime. Are you going to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life? Nope.
  • animall
    Options
    any meal/ food within a calorie goal wouldn't be considered a 'cheat' in my opinion

and tbh if I was stuffed on cake then I'd not eat a meal either .. going with how full you feel is a good guideline, sometimes [/quote]
    That is what i thought too.

Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    First of all, I don't call it cheat, because I'm not doing anything wrong. Secondly, you didn't go over in calories, so where is the problem? Lastly, even if you did go over, log it and move on. This is about a lifestyle change, not some strict regime. Are you going to eat 1200 calories for the rest of your life? Nope.
    I think i definitely did something wrong because as the baker i know exactly how much butter went into the cake (225g!!!!) and that much butter just feels wrong for someone who's trying to lose some fat.

Anyway, i'm falling in love with this site already. The speed of you guys replying truly amazed me. Thank you all!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Making a meal of cake isn't the healthiest thing to do, but for weight loss, there's no reason why you can't do that. (I've done it more than once.) Whether or not you call it a cheat meal, that is up to you. But if I were allowing myself a cheat meal every week, I wouldn't call this one a cheat meal because I could still have my cheat meal and meet my calorie goal for the week.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you are under your calorie allotment, it's not a cheat.

On a side note, calling meals "cheat meals" is dumb IMO, if you go over your goal, just make up for it the next day or days if it can't be made up in a single day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cheat meal implies that you did something wrong, and there is never anything wrong with eating cake, especially if you stayed within your calorie goal..

there is nothing bad/cheating/whatever about eating cake, ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc…they are all just food that your body uses for energy. Stay within your calorie and macro targets and you will be fine…

why shouldn't you eat two slices of "the cake"?
  • animall
    Options
    Making a meal of cake isn't the healthiest thing to do, but for weight loss, there's no reason why you can't do that. (I've done it more than once.) Whether or not you call it a cheat meal, that is up to you. But if I were allowing myself a cheat meal every week, I wouldn't call this one a cheat meal because I could still have my cheat meal and meet my calorie goal for the week.
    If you are under your calorie allotment, it's not a cheat.

On a side note, calling meals "cheat meals" is dumb IMO, if you go over your goal, just make up for it the next day or days if it can't be made up in a single day.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cheat meal implies that you did something wrong, and there is never anything wrong with eating cake, especially if you stayed within your calorie goal..

there is nothing bad/cheating/whatever about eating cake, ice cream, cookies, pizza, etc…they are all just food that your body uses for energy. Stay within your calorie and macro targets and you will be fine…

why shouldn't you eat two slices of "the cake"?

Guess i shouldn't call it a cheat meal then. But i can't help myself but feel bad because of the fat content of the food. But i understand that i have to move on and eat ''cleaner'' tomorrow. Thanks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How in the world do you consider it cheating if it fits your calories?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    the thing with this place is it helps you to re-educate yourself and get rid of the concept of good and bad foods, gimmicks, needless rules and shoddy 'new and improved weight loss in no time for no effort' schemes

it's all about calories in vs calories out

if you can throw away every piece of knowledge you have about 'dieting' that isn't about calories you'll do well at the start

then once you have that down you can start learning about the macros and nutrition etc

• RoxieDawn
    Options

Let me explain... My cheat meal may be considered a regular meal to others. It is fast food so I generally do not eat this type of food the other 6 days of the week. So mentally I am cheating by eating fried food (high carb, fat, sugar, sodium). Not much nutritional.

As far as what MrM27 said... I meant to say If you eat 1200 (if that is your daily intake of food) and you consume 3500 additional calories. That is a pound you gained.

I looked at the other comments and replies, and you are doing much better on your decision making than most would. For example you skipped dinner because you wanted to stay within your goal. You did not have to do that for two pieces of cake.

But you did and it is not considered anything related to "cheating" ! You DID NOT cheat.
    You are safe and if you think this way in the future you are still doing great!

Have the cake and eat your dinner... Or just eat the cake if you feel you have to make your calorie goal. THIS IN NOT CONSIDERED CHEATING, A CHEAT MEAL, or ANYTHING BAD.

I explained my cheat meal (mine is different thinking than most, I do not eat my 1200 calories and add another 1200 calories of what ever food to be cheating)

Get it now... I hope so!
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nope, as long as you are logging accurate that's not a cheat at all. If you have a surplus of calories, and are still hungry, use them up too.
    Think of it as having a guilt free relationship with food and staying within your limits.
  • animall
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    the thing with this place is it helps you to re-educate yourself and get rid of the concept of good and bad foods, gimmicks, needless rules and shoddy 'new and improved weight loss in no time for no effort' schemes

it's all about calories in vs calories out

if you can throw away every piece of knowledge you have about 'dieting' that isn't about calories you'll do well at the start

then once you have that down you can start learning about the macros and nutrition etc

Seems like after endless of research there's still a lot that i don't know.
    BFDeal wrote: »
    You should consider being evaluated by a mental health professional.

thats harsh . why would you say that.

Let me explain... My cheat meal may be considered a regular meal to others. It is fast food so I generally do not eat this type of food the other 6 days of the week. So mentally I am cheating by eating fried food (high carb, fat, sugar, sodium). Not much nutritional.

As far as what MrM27 said... I meant to say If you eat 1200 (if that is your daily intake of food) and you consume 3500 additional calories. That is a pound you gained.

I looked at the other comments and replies, and you are doing much better on your decision making than most would. For example you skipped dinner because you wanted to stay within your goal. You did not have to do that for two pieces of cake.

But you did and it is not considered anything related to "cheating" ! You DID NOT cheat.
    You are safe and if you think this way in the future you are still doing great!

Have the cake and eat your dinner... Or just eat the cake if you feel you have to make your calorie goal. THIS IN NOT CONSIDERED CHEATING, A CHEAT MEAL, or ANYTHING BAD.

I explained my cheat meal (mine is different thinking than most, I do not eat my 1200 calories and add another 1200 calories of what ever food to be cheating)

Get it now... I hope so!

yes i definitely got it! thank you for your time. I guess my concept of cheating is similar to yours. ( high carb sugar etc = cheat )
    pdank311 wrote: »
    Nope, as long as you are logging accurate that's not a cheat at all. If you have a surplus of calories, and are still hungry, use them up too.
    Think of it as having a guilt free relationship with food and staying within your limits.

It is good to know that dieting can be so flexible. thank you..