Distilled water... BIG MISTAKE.

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    ^ umm...so you're assuming they are not allowed to do anything to treat that water?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've been drinking it for months and feel fine and am not dehydrated nor mineral deficient . I am in FB groups with folks who have been drinking Distilled Water for 30+ years; I think if they were going to die from it, they would have by now.

It doesn't 'leech minerals' from your body. It is exactly the same as rainwater. I buy the Pureau water from Woolies, but when I move to the bush I will distil my own.
    Stop bumping zombie threads.

frankenstein-its-alive.gif
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Oh well might as well roll with it.

Dont know about drinking it but I use it for making pickles helps them come out real crisp.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I prefer the taste of reverse osmosis water, but I've been drinking distilled water since I was a child and I've never had anything happen to me.

Distilled was way safer for me than the public water supply, our municipal water supply is down river from catfood factories.

you do realize that any plant/factory that discharges into a river must meet EHP effluent criteria and that any plant/factory that intakes for consumption must also treat their water to certain standards for safety and meet min/max criteria.

This is not new- nor excitable. Every water you consume everywhere was taken from a source that is or was up or down stream from some other source.

They treat the water coming and and out of facilities- it's fine.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I prefer the taste of reverse osmosis water, but I've been drinking distilled water since I was a child and I've never had anything happen to me.

Distilled was way safer for me than the public water supply, our municipal water supply is down river from catfood factories.

you do realize that any plant/factory that discharges into a river must meet EHP effluent criteria and that any plant/factory that intakes for consumption must also treat their water to certain standards for safety and meet min/max criteria.

This is not new- nor excitable. Every water you consume everywhere was taken from a source that is or was up or down stream from some other source.

They treat the water coming and and out of facilities- it's fine.

I didn't realize this was a necro'ed thread when I added my response.

Of course I realize they treat the water, but they also send out a report to the users once a year with a list of contaminates. I know that they are measuring contaminants in Parts per Million on the report, so it's not a very high concentration of anything, but as a preference I do not drink the local tap water. It's nothing new, and I realize all bottled water comes from a municipal source before it's treated and packaged.

I was only saying I would drink distilled water over my current municipal water anyday. Maybe it's just seeing what the river looks like before it's treated, or it's proximity to the nuclear power plant that stores it's waste on site. Just something about it gives me the heeby jeebies about drinking it.

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Drinking slightly acidic or alkaline water will do nothing for you. Your body is excellent at buffering things so that your blood pH remains stable. Distilled water can pull minerals and salt out of body if you drink too much of it, that it why is it is not recommended that you drink it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Drinking slightly acidic or alkaline water will do nothing for you. Your body is excellent at buffering things so that your blood pH remains stable. Distilled water can pull minerals and salt out of body if you drink too much of it, that it why is it is not recommended that you drink it.

It's also why drinking out of a fresh stream tastes so delicious. We're craving the minerals.
    Which for the non-chemical-pronouncers means it's toxic! Fancy that.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Distilled water is pure H2O and doesn't have any other soluble content in it. Drinking water always have some other important water minerals which is important for our body. Distilled water can be considered as hard water.
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    uh oh... the only water provided in my office is gallons of distilled water... O_o
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ljcatch22 wrote: »
    Regular water has a bunch of ions and such in it. Distilled water has had all of these removed. These ions move from high amounts to low amounts, so basically, distilled water is leeching these ions from your body in order to balance the concentrations.

No. Distilled water has lots of ions in it. De-ionized water has the bulk of ions removed, many of which come back once exposed to the atmosphere.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is why I laugh at the people that say tea or coffee (you know, water with something else in it) doesn't count as water. So I guess for them, only distilled water counts as water.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    denbeck2 wrote: »
    Okay guys I had to commet on this one...I drink Kangen water ...it is alkaline water and much better for you...most all of the bottled waters are acidic and that is where sickness and disease live...sickness and disease cannot live in an alkaline body.....the human body is made up of approximately 70 % water...so water plays a very important role in our lives...Change your water..Change your life

Sickness and disease can live quite nicely in an alkaline body. And the idea that you can change your body's pH by eating or drinking certain foods is laughable.

• rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    babynew wrote: »
    WOW...
    HOW,can anything PURE be bad for you?

Pure cyanide is pretty bad for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rjmwx81 wrote: »
    WOW...

I've heard pure cocaine isn't to swift either. but I mean- what do I know.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I used to make my kids formula with distilled water when they were babies. Never once did the doctor tell me to avoid distilled water. She preferred I use the distilled water over tap water. There are no chemicals in distilled water, and there aren't any used in the process of distillation. This is ridiculous!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    denbeck2 wrote: »
    Okay guys I had to commet on this one...I drink Kangen water ...it is alkaline water and much better for you...most all of the bottled waters are acidic and that is where sickness and disease live...sickness and disease cannot live in an alkaline body.....the human body is made up of approximately 70 % water...so water plays a very important role in our lives...Change your water..Change your life

Seriously? The human body maintains a strict pH between 7.35 and 7.45. There's nothing you can do to change it. Also, sickness and disease does not live in acids, alkalines will kill you far faster (lye, extremely deadly, and it's a base.) Also, all of the nutrients you require to stay alive are acids. Protein? Amino ACIDS. Fat? Fatty ACIDS.

Please take some time and actually lear a little bit about biology before you blindly fall for any other marketing gimmicks.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking it for months and feel fine and am not dehydrated nor mineral deficient . I am in FB groups with folks who have been drinking Distilled Water for 30+ years; I think if they were going to die from it, they would have by now.

It doesn't 'leech minerals' from your body. It is exactly the same as rainwater. I buy the Pureau water from Woolies, but when I move to the bush I will distil my own.

Distilled water and rainwater are nowhere near alike. Rainwater has many, many dissolved solids in it. Ever heard of acid rain?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    rjmwx81 wrote: »
    WOW...

pure mercury is pretty deleterious too.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I used to make my kids formula with distilled water when they were babies. Never once did the doctor tell me to avoid distilled water. She preferred I use the distilled water over tap water. There are no chemicals in distilled water, and there aren't any used in the process of distillation. This is ridiculous!

The formula would contain all the necessary minerals and whatnots, so there's no need to have those present in the water. And as the tap water could potentially be contaminated, the doctors would obviously tell you to use a 100 % safe source instead.

That has nothing to do whether or not one should drink pure distilled water or not. There's no harm in drinking it. Nor are there any mysterious benefits to be had. If your local tap water is potable, I wouldn't bother with anything else.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    :#
    I did not think it was possible to have this much misinformation packed in to so tight a place.
    1. Distilled water is pure
    2. Distilled water by definition is not contaminated by any "chemicals" to make it pure, because of how distillation works
    3. pH of Distilled Water
    4. Forget the ionization bunkum
    The only reason I might pick tap water (which I think is better for us than the filtered/bottled stuff) over distilled is because many of the natural "contaminants" are good for us, like calcium and iron. I like the free fluoridation too.