Do you ever lie about your weight loss?

Options
In the last year I have lost 71 pounds. (that's the real number)
When I'm out and about and friends see me, they often comment on my weight loss. (in good ways) and they always ask "how much weight have you lost"
This happened several times last weekend and I found myself saying , oh close to 50 pounds... I do this without even thinking about it. I know the exact number! Why not just say it? Am I ashamed I had that much to lose? Would telling them the exact number be bragging?

Replies

• lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i dont lie about it because it was hard fought. and anyone who has ever tried knows how difficult it can be. i dont think i am bragging, i feel more like it is saying if i can do it, so can you. What if the person asking has 71 pounds to lose and you say you lost 50, they may see the extra 21 as not possible. Say your real number every chance you get, keep it real for you and others. 69 pounds gone for me, and i didnt lose them, i know exactly where i left them, up on the trails of the Rocly Mountians! congrats on your achievement, and continued success in the new year.
  • bgetz7
    Options
    i do the opposite... if i've lost 18 i say "oh like 25" ...:(
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I am proud of it. Why not brag, that's hard work!
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    rounding up a tad bit never hurt nobody ;)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I round up to 30. It's really only 28.5.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I lie and say I've stopped now because people keep give me worrying looks when I say I'm still dieting, as if they can't see the flabby stomach I still have yet to lose!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've found that the more I'm open about it to other people, the more open I am to myself. In turn, I do better at holding myself accountable for my eating decisions. I don't even mind telling them that I lost 40 lbs last year and screwed up and gained it back. It reminds me that I'm human.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I tend to do it. I've lost closer to 40 pounds now, but if anybody asks I will say "Oh, about 30" quite shyly. Although I am proud and want people to notice, it's also awkward when they mention it and I always feel a bit of the "if you noticed I'm smaller, you noticed that I used to be fatter" thing. It's just all awkward to me!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My best friend *loves* to tell strangers how I've lost "a ton" of weight. It's so embarrassing.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If I am stuck on like .5 or more I will round up. If below, I round down.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I wont discuss it till I get to target as im a bit superstitious.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    *grin* If you're feeling sadistic and are a good actor, if someone asks how much weight you've lost, let your lower lip tremble a bit, lower your eyes, gasp a little and whisper, "I try not to think about it."
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've lied both ways. I didn't want to admit I'd lost as much as I had because I was embarrassed I'd gained that much to begin with, and then when I got a lot closer to goal and prouder of my accomplishment I rounded up. My weight fluctuates up and down now because life happens, but people tend to comment that I'm losing weight when I'm on a "down" shift. I tell them I'm not, even though they notice I'm passing on the bagels and ice cream. It's not their business, and I don't want to talk about it.

In the OP's case, maybe you're just tired of people asking? It can get exhausting for the most interesting thing about you to be how many pounds are no longer attached to you.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. I am starting to get comments and looks because my weight loss is really showing. I'm embarassed (if that's the right word) that was fat in the first place. I think I feel awkward when people say I look "skinny" (I'm not and don't ever want to be skinny; I want to be lean, strong and fit) and wish it was a non-event. I admire people who are proud of their accomplishment and don't mind talking about it. I'm mad at myself for gaining a bunch of weight so I know I need to forgive myself, realize I'm human and look forward. Easy to say... Bottom line is that I need to get over myself and realize I'm no better or worse than others who have gained weight. That's really what my embarassment is saying: I hate being grouped with yo-yo'er or people who were overweight because I'm superhuman and fabulous and too smart to gain weight when I know how to count calories and workout!!! News flash - I'm not. Just have to keep reminding myself of that. And then, I might have a real shot of not ever gaining it back.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    I lie and say I've stopped now because people keep give me worrying looks when I say I'm still dieting, as if they can't see the flabby stomach I still have yet to lose!

I get this. I've had people say I don't need to lose any more. But they have never seen me at the weight I want to hit, I have. So I just shake my head as if I don't plan to lose any more.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I totally understand how you feel. I am starting to get comments and looks because my weight loss is really showing. I'm embarassed (if that's the right word) that was fat in the first place. I think I feel awkward when people say I look "skinny" (I'm not and don't ever want to be skinny; I want to be lean, strong and fit) and wish it was a non-event. I admire people who are proud of their accomplishment and don't mind talking about it. I'm mad at myself for gaining a bunch of weight so I know I need to forgive myself, realize I'm human and look forward. Easy to say... Bottom line is that I need to get over myself and realize I'm no better or worse than others who have gained weight. That's really what my embarassment is saying: I hate being grouped with yo-yo'er or people who were overweight because I'm superhuman and fabulous and too smart to gain weight when I know how to count calories and workout!!! News flash - I'm not. Just have to keep reminding myself of that. And then, I might have a real shot of not ever gaining it back.

How I feel. It's nice that people notice, but I feel so "embarrassed" that I walked around even heavier than I currently am.. enough so that people notice that I am less fat now than I was then.

• astrose00
    Options
    My best friend *loves* to tell strangers how I've lost "a ton" of weight. It's so embarrassing.

This made me lol. I remember, years ago, this really fit coworker (she works out and does marathons) saw me in the ladies room and was like "wow, you lost a TON of weight!!!". Friggin' beyotch!!!
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great comments!
  • astrose00
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »

I get this. I've had people say I don't need to lose any more. But they have never seen me at the weight I want to hit, I have. So I just shake my head as if I don't plan to lose any more.

Yeah, what is that about? Nobody wanted to tell me to put the Red Velvet cake down but everyone has an opinion about how much I need to weigh??? Especially when I know what I look like at that weight and was right smack in the middle of a healthy range for my height? In fact, I was on the high end because I have a lot of muscle... smh.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of every pound and say exactly what I've lost. I usually add,(and next time you see me, I'll be even smaller!".