Distilled water... BIG MISTAKE.

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't always drink distilled water, but when I do it's mostly ethanol and has been aged in barrels.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There are no chemicals in distilled water...

Yes, there are.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    :#
    I did not think it was possible to have this much misinformation packed in to so tight a place.

Oh, the irony..
    Distilled water is pure

No, it is not.
    Distilled water by definition is not contaminated by any "chemicals" to make it pure, because of how distillation works

If this were the case, it would be impossible to make vodka.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Now i it was franctionated after distilliation, it might be pure. Really though, if I wanted pure water, I'd make it from hydrogen and oxygen.
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    So I'm confused....am I going to die or not? I don't have a will nor trust.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cite your case Mr Knight.

Easy peasy with the Vodka. Alcohol boils at a different temperature. Set the distiller at a different temperature.

dbmata, that's funny. And explosive.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If distilled is cheaper, I'll buy it for hurricane water. Otherwise, I have no use for it since we started being able to put regular water in irons.

Why do people buy it?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Easy peasy with the Vodka. Alcohol boils at a different temperature. Set the distiller at a different temperature.

Distillation doesn't work that way.

Sorry.

Plus distilled water is a highly processed food, and therefore unclean by definition.

• dbmata
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Sorry.

If I remember correctly, off the top of my head methanol becomes a gas at 158F, and ethanol at 170F. You could easily step heat through the temp range to produce a pure water, then redistill it to remove any missed adulterants.

That's a process I could do with home equipment. So how does it not work?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Sorry.

If I remember correctly, off the top of my head methanol becomes a gas at 158F, and ethanol at 170F. You could easily step heat through the temp range to produce a pure water, then redistill it to remove any missed adulterants.

Because temperatures are like BMI - they're an average of a large population. Any given substance will start boiling off before you get to its boiling point, and will have material left unboiled after you pass its boiling point.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That only impacts loss in the system and distillate cross over from near temp compounds. Which can be reduced to almost nil by a secondary or tertiary distillation. Even on home equipment.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    "almost nil" = not pure.

• dbmata
    Options
    "almost nil" = not pure.

you're really going to play the hands in the ears shutting out all other sounds?

you can get 3 ought pure, and if that is good enough for labs, it's good enough for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    SGM_Adonis wrote: »
    So I'm confused....am I going to die or not? I don't have a will nor trust.

Better get a living a will you never know when the time is coming!

For real.. Cooked water? I drank some not long ago I felt nothing.

Working on getting an online will drafted in case!

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Sorry.

Are you related to Miss Mamie and Miss Emily?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Any given substance will start boiling off before you get to its boiling point, and will have material left unboiled after you pass its boiling point. - Mr Knight Uncited

Well that's the point, isn't it? The distillation comes from the vapour. The other materials are left behind.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with drinking distilled water, other than there is no taste to distilled water because all the minerals have been removed. In fact, most bottled water is often just tap water, distilled to remove all the minerals and then certain minerals are added back in to give it the "clean taste" the customers want.

To those who are talking about the water in their chem lab, that's not distilled water, that's de-ionized water. Deionized water will have an acidic pH and will have no ions in it and therefore can be hazardous to drink.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Oh God, the derp in this thread.
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Jeez... thanks for the warning. I never thought of drinking distilled, but I would consider it from time to time since we water mom's orchid's with that (some sort of "if it's good for the plants it's good for us too" logic).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If distilled is cheaper, I'll buy it for hurricane water. Otherwise, I have no use for it since we started being able to put regular water in irons.

Why do people buy it?

Some appliances need it . . . like irons, cpap machines, . . .