How can I get more protien?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Not for nothing- but anything under 150 isn't really "high"

and under 100 is not remotely close to high- that's- meh. For many that's quiet low.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    I use EAS protein powder and feel really satisfied. I like goat milk, raw cheddar cheeses, loads of veggies and eggs. Those are my main sources. I love seeing everyone else's ideas, too. Super helpful.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I start the day off with eggs...usually 1 whole egg and 5 egg whites (from a carton). I want the nutrients from the yolk, but I like having the extra protein and bulk from the whites without the calorie hit.

I also eat a lot of Greek Yogurt (Fage), as well as chicken, lean cuts of pork and beef, and fish. All of my meals basically have a pretty large protein component. I also supplement with whey.
  • natebollinger
    natebollinger Posts: 24 Member
    Protein powder is quick and easy, but Greek yogurt is bomb at roughly 140 cal and 24 g protein per serving (Costco brand). I'm obsessed with the stuff.
  • FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

and under 100 is not remotely close to high- that's- meh. For many that's quiet low.

Hello Officer!

What I meant was that my protein goal was higher than MPF's settings (changed my post to reflect that) and on the high end for my calorie intake (reference: my doctor). I am not a body builder and I am certainly not eating a super-high protein diet. Hell, I am eating a conscious, primarily vegetarian, balanced diet. Hope that helps.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Almond or peanut butter too.
    Quinoa is one of my faves and it has healthy carbs and protein.
    Asparagus has protein too (several veggies have protein in them).

Nut Butters aren't overly high in Protein, more high in calories and fat.

Asaparagus, edamame and broccoli are my favourite veggies that offer a decent dose of protein
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Another protein vegetable to consider:
    Avocado (good fats too)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    FlatWet wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Hello Officer!

What I meant was that my protein goal was higher than MPF's settings (changed my post to reflect that) and on the high end for my calorie intake (reference: my doctor). I am not a body builder and I am certainly not eating a super-high protein diet. Hell, I am eating a conscious, primarily vegetarian, balanced diet. Hope that helps.

I'm not the protein police- just merely pointing out that 100 isn't that high... it's great if you get 100 as a vegetarian- that's commendable- but- relativity means a lot.

but yes- on MFP- 100ish is higher compared to their measily crappy settings of like 40 or whatever.

<faints> I'd die I think. LOL
  • dkeener_81
    dkeener_81 Posts: 32 Member
    So I have increased my protein a good bit now. Breakfast is greek yogurt and kashi go lean (29g--sometimes i save half for a snack later), lunch has been chili but I'm going to make tuna with plain greek yogurt (24-29g--depends if I want 1 or 2 slices of 100% whole wheat bread), dinner will be mini-turkey sloppy joes (I have twin 8 yr old boys...go figure lol..16g)..and another snack after workout will be a Labrada lean shake (25g) .

That's 100-105 for a day...I'm going to have to increase cardio today though for the extra calories (it's yoga day which I only burn half of my normal calories).

Next week I'm planning on making a week's worth of breakfast burritos with egg, black beans, some cheese, and whole wheat tortilla.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    dkeener_81 wrote: »
    So I have increased my protein a good bit now. Breakfast is greek yogurt and kashi go lean (29g--sometimes i save half for a snack later), lunch has been chili but I'm going to make tuna with plain greek yogurt (24-29g--depends if I want 1 or 2 slices of 100% whole wheat bread), dinner will be mini-turkey sloppy joes (I have twin 8 yr old boys...go figure lol..16g)..and another snack after workout will be a Labrada lean shake (25g) .

That's 100-105 for a day...I'm going to have to increase cardio today though for the extra calories (it's yoga day which I only burn half of my normal calories).

Next week I'm planning on making a week's worth of breakfast burritos with egg, black beans, some cheese, and whole wheat tortilla.
    Because you're over calories for they day, I'd start prelogging and see how these foods affect what you typically eat during the day. Prelog your burritos and see if it's more calories than you normally have and see if you can adjust other foods to keep it in your daily calorie goal.
  • dkeener_81
    auddii wrote: »

Because you're over calories for they day, I'd start prelogging and see how these foods affect what you typically eat during the day. Prelog your burritos and see if it's more calories than you normally have and see if you can adjust other foods to keep it in your daily calorie goal.

Thanks auddi..that's what I did today. I knew I wouldn't burn as many calories with the yoga so I went ahead to see what I needed work out wise to get me back under. I'll do the same next week. I "made" my own recipes to help determine what to put in my burritos to help me reach the protein goal but maintain calorie goal as well
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Thanks everyone!!

Anyone have recommendations for pre and post workout foods/drinks? I've been told that I should be eating or drinking protein to help recovery

Unless you are hitting the gym hard core, you don't need protein shakes or bars for recovery. Just eat plenty of chicken, fish, beans, lean beef, quinoa, cheese, eggs, edamame, nuts, peanut butter, greek yogurt, etc. throughout your day and you will be good to go. Eating a meal or snack high in protein after your workout an help you from feeling super hungry though too.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    One of my staples is the Walmart brand canned chicken breast. For relatively low calories. (180/can) you get 36 grams of protein. On days when I'm a bit low, this fits right in and raises my protein numbers!
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    eat more foods that contain protein in good amount per 100g

ie Meat & Lentils
  • dkeener_81
    edited December 2014
    One of my staples is the Walmart brand canned chicken breast. For relatively low calories. (180/can) you get 36 grams of protein. On days when I'm a bit low, this fits right in and raises my protein numbers!

I've had that chicken before. I think I'm gonna switch to that one after I finish my tuna. That way I can switch it up. I found a protein shake that was only 150 cal with 30g in protien. I also got a protein powder and half a scoop of that in my greek yogurt for breakfast with a tbls of peanut butter on whole wheat bread.

I'm not hardcore going to the gym. I'm doing p90x3 and I wasn't eating even 40g of protein a day. I could feel it. Now that I'm more aware of it and making more effort to get it in my diet...I FEEL better.

Just another big thanks from everyone and MFP. Having this is really keeping me motivated to continue this new journey!!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    You don't have to drink a shake if you are eating protein at every meal.

Boiled Eggs are awesome as a quick snack. a little sprinkle of salt and pepper, and deliciousness. :) Or buy some of the pre-cooked chicken breast strips - and add them to your salads. Or have it post workout, dipped in a little bit of honey mustard. You can do similar with slices of deli ham or roastbeef.

My breakfast this morning was 3 eggs over easy with 4 slices of deli roast beef quickly heated, to top the eggs. Protein, lovely protein. :)

Not necessarily true. For some of us with higher protein goals, a shake or a protein bar is a very helpful tool for meeting the numbers. If you eat 4 oz of meat at every meal, you still aren't going to hit 100 grams.
  • CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    quark. My latest discovery (over *shudder* cottage cheese ... that was NOT a good relationship ...) - i mix it with some milk and add about 10g glucose powder for a shake after strength training. Then add flavour (vanilla essence / frozen berries). Quark may become my latest food obsession ...
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    I love cottage cheese and it is a great source of protein, regular or low fat.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Lol @ protein police

9559519c563d1e9131708ad8f749465f?AccessKeyId=08B5CC53AEC12CE41C5B&disposition=0&alloworigin=1