Does coffee count in any way towards water intake for the da

Options
Does coffee count towards your water intake to some degree?

I AM GOING TO DRINK 80 OZ of water today!!!!!!!!!!!

YES I AM! (gonna be pee'ing a bunch too probably, lol!)

Just was wondering if coffee counted as something towards my 80 oz water goal. :)

Thanks MFP peeps, have a fab day! :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I personally don't count anything except regular plain water. I log my other drinks, if I have any, but water I just log plain ol' water.

That is about the only way, in my opinion, to ensure you are drinking enough!!

You can do it...I have learned to love the stuff....now I have to make sure I am not drinking too much! LOL
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I count my 16 oz coffee in the morning in my total I drink about 120 oz of water a day so yes I think if your not having alot of coffee one or two cups can count same as tea, but get most of your intake from good old H2O.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I count it towards my water goal. Same thing with tea
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    I don't count coffee because it dehydrates you. It's a diuretic. SO
    I do however count crystal light and things like that.
  • Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    Anything that contains caffeine cannot be counted as water. I only count plain water in my water intake.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, it counts.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything with caffeine or alcohol, as those are diuretics.
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I count everything I drink except coffee - unless I drink decaf.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am with many others, I only count water as water. I've been tempted to count green tea, but haven't yet.
  • gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee because it dehydrates you. It's a diuretic. SO
    I do however count crystal light and things like that.

Me, too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I say no, as it has caffeine, which dehydrates you. I say it is a wash the water in it cancels out the caffeine.
  • Superdupermom
    Superdupermom Posts: 149
    Options
    the caffeine in the water is counter active and defeats the purpose...it like dehydates you i would drink a glass of water with the coffee even if you plan on counting it...i dont though
  • Angeladobush
    Angeladobush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can count it if it is a cup or two.....any more than that isn't good.....:ohwell:
  • Diem30
    Diem30 Posts: 92
    Options
    I've got to say no, its called Water Intake for a reason log all your other drinks but water is water and there is no substitute
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Like many others, I don't count coffee or tea as water. I still log in, but it doesn't count as water since it has caffeine and dehydrates you more. Sorry! :drinker:
  • MeolaCharles
    Options
    No, only water counts as water. Suppose you wanted to replace all your water with coffee, imagine what that would do to you, crystals in the kidney, UI etc. Its because coffee does not do the job the water is meant to do. Coffee is entered with a meal or snack, water is entered as just water. Please do not try to convince yourself that it can be counted as water because it contains water, because once it is filtered through coffee, it is tainted water and loses the purpose that water is intended to perform.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I only count water for water. If I have anything else, it's just extra.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Anything that contains caffeine cannot be counted as water. I only count plain water in my water intake.

This is how I feel.
    Considering the coffee will dehydrate you, I wouldn't count it as water.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything other than squash as my water intake. I wouldn't be able to drink as much water if I had it without any flavour though!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything with caffeine or alcohol, as those are diuretics.

This is the truth, you should not count it, any doctor will tell you Coffee, tea and alcohol have opposite effects.