Ideas with potatoes...

13»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2014
    Boil them until tender with the peelings on, and then smash them flat on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and seasoning and crisp them up in the oven. I like mine with salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder.

I like this idea, sort of mashed/fries combined. I'm going to try it topped with garlic and parsley.

You could make beef stew with carrots and potatoes. Or celery soup (with potatoes - basically any soup, you could add potatoes).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Saute 2 medium chopped onions in your oil of choice until golden, add some mushrooms (about 400-700 gram fresh, preferably wild) until cooked, your choice of herbs and spices, then 6 or so potatoes cut into cubes and some vegetable broth. Simmer covered on low heat stirring often every now and then until some of the potatoes breaks down thickening the broth. The potatoes need to be overcooked for that to happen. Amazingly easy and delicious stovetop stew that fills me for ages.

You could also do Russian style fried potatoes, sort of a cross between frying and streaming with onions. https://youtube.com/watch?v=dn_OiMShhGk
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    Thank you everyone! In case you were wondering what ended up happening to those potatoes, here is my go-to meal for the next couple of weeks or so:

n8h49y35rckj.jpg

Luckily, I still have a couple pounds left so I will be able to try our some of the other delicious-looking recipes I have seen around here. :)

ETA: Uuuuuh, upload flipped my pic… any idea how to fix that? :(
  • In the Netherlands we eat them in the winter specially in 'Stamppot' (mash potato with kale or sauerkraut or carrot/oinion and some kind of meat). Easy to make and mainly healthy. Google Stamppot for pictures/inspiration. I found an English translation of Kale Stamppot: http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/DutchWinterfare.html
  • hikecampgal
    hikecampgal Posts: 41 Member
    These are soooo good! I usually cube the spuds before boiling, use less oil, and sometimes add crumbled bacon. I've even done these in the Actifry without boiling the spuds first. Yummy!!

INGREDIENTS:
    4 red potatoes
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
    2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and green pepper. Cook, stirring often, until soft; about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
    3. Pour remaining 2 tablespoons of oil into the skillet and turn heat to medium-high. Add potato cubes, salt, paprika and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are browned; about 10 minutes. Stir in the onions, green peppers and parsley and cook for another minute. Serve hot
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Colcannon! I could make a meal from that. That's what my Irish Nana called it anyway =)

Raafje2014 wrote: »
    In the Netherlands we eat them in the winter specially in 'Stamppot' (mash potato with kale or sauerkraut or carrot/oinion and some kind of meat). Easy to make and mainly healthy. Google Stamppot for pictures/inspiration. I found an English translation of Kale Stamppot: http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/DutchWinterfare.html

• wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    If you're feeling fancy, figure out a healthy tater tot recipe and pass it along :)

Use your favorite egg strada recipe but put tater tots on the top level.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    you could slice them thin and cook them in a saute pan with onions and smoked sausage... Yum!