Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    tx_angel77 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    tx_angel77 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    wait, clarify please. You're taking in one meal, and that meal is 800-1000 calories?

Yes and I know you are probably going to tell me that is not enough. I have no issues raising my caloric intake to meet the needs of my lifting program. I am doing this for spiritual reasons not to lose weight. With that being said, I'm just trying to find a good balance so that I can continue lifting during this time. :) Any advice on finding the correct caloric intake would be appreciated.

Are you doing this everyday, once a week, once a month?

I'm lifting 4 days resting 2. Fasting every day for a while. My overall goal is to lose fat and build lean muscle at the same time. I know fasting for an extended period of time may be throwing a wrench in it but I was hoping to continue toward my goals while fasting.

If you're fasting every day and not trying to lose, you should eat your maintenance calories for the day in one meal. Calculate your caloric needs including your lifting sessions; my guess is that it's going to be about twice what you're currently eating if not more. Daily pizza :laugh:
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am afraid to throw a tempest into a teapot but here goes.

I have read many of you state that it is not possible to gain muscle mass while eating a calorie deficit.

There actually is some research that has been done by Dr. Robert Huizenga that has shown it is possible to increase Lean Muscle Mass while eating at a deficit. It requires careful monitoring of one's macros as well as an accurate calculation of one's RMR based on an accurate body composition analysis (in his studies with a DEXA scan).

His research was using overweight to morbidly obese individuals (thus they had plenty of stored calories in their bodies). However, he has demonstrated the ability to eat at a deficit, lose fat and still increase muscle mass.
  • tx_angel77
    tx_angel77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate the information and I think I have a plan moving forward. ;)
  • kgilrivera
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I have decided to start losing weight to get the beach body I have always dreamed about. It is def. hard to reach that goal but I am gonna make it happen. My goal is compete in a physique competition next year (2015.) If you have any suggestions, ideas, workout plans or anything let me know, I appreciate your support in advance.
    Happy New Year!!!!!