How to lose weight without starving!

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    For MFP was incorrect for me. I found my number and adjusted MFP accordingly. Go here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator and put in your stats. You can go as low as 5% or 10% to lose option. Or you can go as high at 25% (which is too high for me).

Once you start, start out slow and if you are not seeing results you can go back and adjust. I think finding your number as close as you can to meet your goals is a start.

It helped me out a great deal. I did not know how to eat till I started logging in MFP. Then logging everything (it keeps you accountable and you know just how many calories there are in everything)

I choose not to drink my calories. That adds up to 100, 200, 300, 400 calories depending on what you drink.

Good luck.. You can always get MFP friends to help you!
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    -eat more fruits and veggies
    -more fiber
    -drink more water/tea
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. Without knowing what you're eating, any advice is just a shot in the dark
  • KrysiaCA
    KrysiaCA Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thank you for all the responses. I will start using my diary and open it (at present there's nothing there as I was using another app to track my eating)

I am 5"2 and 74 kilos. With a waist of 34 inches (I use to be 26-28 so this is a big jump).

Thank you for the scooby link. It gives me 1522 calories for the day, I went a head a checked the benedict formula and It agrees. Maybe I was underrating?

Example of my food on 1400 calories

Breakfast
    27 gram microwave packet of quakes oats
    Bana sliced and mixed with the porridge

Lunch
    Falafel & butternut squash salad & water melon chunks

Dinner
    Smoked mackerel
    Broccoli
    Bulgar wheat

That total was 1470 calories. I was literally starting the entire time.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You really need their stats and a look at their diary to see why its happening. Not really a fan of hunger myself and have avoided it.
    And as someone says, you're supposed to feel hungry when it comes to a mealtime. If you've never been hungry before, you've been eating too much too often.

Depends what you mean by hungry. Looking forward to a meal ok, feeling as though you are starving and constantly deprives not ok and not good. Just because you arent raveous downt mean you have been eating too much.

Agree. This only happens when I go way too long between meals. Ate lunch at 3-4pm today :/

To OP, is the 1500 the deficit or maintenance?

But your intake consisted of mostly carbohydrates. Little fat, little protein, both are needed to help satiety. Consider upping your fat or protein (or both) intake.

I'm 162lbs as well and I consume at a minimum 1900 calories to lose weight. This includes my average weekly exercise (about 2.5hrs a week). So you very well could be under-eating.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    But your intake consisted of mostly carbohydrates. Little fat, little protein, both are needed to help satiety. Consider upping your fat or protein (or both) intake.

^^^This. Anyone would feel starving with what you've listed, because almost every single thing is super carb-y, other than the mackerel & broccoli.

I have no problem sticking to my 1600 cals because I eat tons of protein and usually a good amount of fat as well. Today I had a pretty carb-y lunch around 4pm, and I can already feel my stomach growling for dinner!
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can't get my post out of the quotes, ugh.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I can't get my post out of the quotes, ugh.

Hard-knock-life.gif

Lol. But yeah it does that sometimes. Let's see....

ana3067 wrote: »

^^^This. Anyone would feel starving with what you've listed, because almost every single thing is super carb-y, other than the mackerel & broccoli.

I have no problem sticking to my 1600 cals because I eat tons of protein and usually a good amount of fat as well. Today I had a pretty carb-y lunch around 4pm, and I can already feel my stomach growling for dinner!

^^ Haha, just needed to take out tigger's quote tag.
  • KrysiaCA
    KrysiaCA Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Sorry for the slow responses.

Thank you for your advice.

I realised the reason I was starving according to the Scooby calculator because my BMR is like 1522 and my TDEE is 2093, which explains everything. I am now following the Scooby calculator (which seems more realistic) and taking in 1674 calories per day to lose 20%. As well as working out with fitness blender for busy people 5 days a week and some gym classes (pilates/yoga/balance) and a bit of equipment such as cross country and the rowing machine. Today is my first day watching what I am eating closely, I've only had breakfast but I am VERY satisfied, even though I have had under 300 calories.

Thank you guys for all your help already! I really really appreciate it!! :-D
  • rachellll98
    Options
    I had/have the exact same problem down to eating majority carb foods. I've heard that in addition to more protein, you can eat more fiber and more vegetables and that helps. Also drink water. But I completely understand where you're coming from.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    do it slow so maintenance wont be a shock that leads to regaining it?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Male, 6'1", 233 lbs:
    Iv'e tried small meals, skipping lunch, and skipping dinner and they are all torture for me. Once I put food I my belly, it wants a lot more. So I have discovered it is MUCH easier for me to skip both breakfast and lunch than what I mentioned above. I just eat between 6 to about 8:30 at night and eat as much of whatever I want. My stomach shrinks some doing this and I can only get in about 1500 to 2500 cals in me in that time frame. I take protein powder and vitamins and try to eat good food before any junk. I will eat ice cream, cookies (6 last night with two glasses of milk) or whatever I want. I've done this for 4.5 weeks now and have lost 17 lbs. This is working for me and I get stuffed every night which is satisfying and I can eat with everyone and not act like a rabbit. The fasting acts like an appetite suppressant and I don't get very hungry during the day like I did with small meals or trying to skip a meal after I had allready eaten something for the day. I also save a lot on lunch money and I don't have the usual afternoon crash where I used to eat junk just to keep going. I feel mentally focused better especially in the afternoons than I did before and I dont feel sluggish after work from eating late afternoon junk. I workout after work right before my eating window and have felt better doing this than before also probably because I didnt eat junk and because I'm diligent about my vitamins in the evening. Thats my story so far. I hope to get to 180 eventually. I started at 250+.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? It is strange but I find myself more hungry on days I do not exercise.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? It is strange but I find myself more hungry on days I do not exercise.

If you're talking to me, I exercise after work and right before eating. Exercise is a temporary appitite suppressant also like fasting is. I think it makes you hungrier overall though. Im up to 4 to 5 times a week walking or biking 35 min. I plan on going for 1 hr 5 times a week eventually. I woukd like to turn the walks into runs once I loose more weight.