Question for runners

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    There's a bodyweight group here if you want to join:
    Bodyweight Training

It's good to be able to keep a discussion going whilst running, generally said, so pace yourself according to that. Also, if you want to run longer distances, it might help to think that it isn't a sprint but a marathon. Good luck, you'll figure it out :) And the C25K group is great.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks again. I've actually been gearing my workups towards calisthenics, and I'm pretty sure I would love hiit, but I think I am a bit scared I wouldn't be able to keep up. I am familiar with the gist of c25k, and I'm probably going to start with that. I can jog for 30 seconds straight, but my problem is learning to pace myself because I have a tendency to want to go as hard as I can.

Yes, you gotta build back an aerobic base if you lost it, so that program works well. So that means going slower.
    You can improve the lower aerobic range and get faster much easier than you can improve the upper aerobic/anaerobic line to allow speed up there. And if endurance is of any interest over 5K races, you'll need the lower fat-burning range trained anyway to go faster, not the higher carb-burning range.

The wonderful thing about HIIT is there is no keeping up - it's done at your max ability.

Now, you may be thinking of videos or other programs that are mislabeled HIIT because of the current fad use of the term. HIIT is when you take what could be a slow steady cardio activity (running) and make the short intense sections with recovery.
    It's as close to lifting as you can get while doing a cardio session.

The mislabeled stuff has always been done the way they do it, calisthenic routines with minimal rest between what is being worked.

Once you got a good aerobic base, ask me about a good HIIT routine for basically lifting for your lower body.
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Thanks again. I've actually been gearing my workups towards calisthenics, and I'm pretty sure I would love hiit, but I think I am a bit scared I wouldn't be able to keep up. I am familiar with the gist of c25k, and I'm probably going to start with that. I can jog for 30 seconds straight, but my problem is learning to pace myself because I have a tendency to want to go as hard as I can.

Yes, you gotta build back an aerobic base if you lost it, so that program works well. So that means going slower.
    You can improve the lower aerobic range and get faster much easier than you can improve the upper aerobic/anaerobic line to allow speed up there. And if endurance is of any interest over 5K races, you'll need the lower fat-burning range trained anyway to go faster, not the higher carb-burning range.

The wonderful thing about HIIT is there is no keeping up - it's done at your max ability.

Now, you may be thinking of videos or other programs that are mislabeled HIIT because of the current fad use of the term. HIIT is when you take what could be a slow steady cardio activity (running) and make the short intense sections with recovery.

The mislabeled stuff has always been done the way they do it, calisthenic routines with minimal rest between what is being worked.

Once you got a good aerobic base, ask me about a good HIIT routine for basically lifting for your lower body.

You're talking about the stuff online that does something like burpees, then high knees, then pushups, right? But hiit is basically meant for interval running? I would like that, because it's the sprinting that I enjoy. But I also like the sense of accomplishment that comes from paced running, if that makes sense. And it's a huge stress reliever.

I've been trying to research running safety, and I'm not familiar with the roads in one direction (I live in the country on a main road ), and the other direction I know well and it's downhill, but when you get around the corner and get to the straightaway, there is almost no shoulder, and deep ditches between the road and houses. So I'm trying to figure out if I should walk the other direction further up hill to check it out.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestions above about how people organize their weeks.

Just wanted to throw in, sometimes there is also value to your monthly and yearly patterns.

In my fitness group, we have a three week pattern of 1) medium week, 2) big week, 3) recovery week. We still train on recovery week, but decrease both volume and intensity and prioritize sleep.

We also do a seasonal pattern; In January we begin building our run volume to peak in the Spring running season. Cycling builds from early spring and into triathlon season. We also have a Fall running season. Winter is swim focus. We continue training all these things, plus strength and flexibility, year round - but each season has a "focus" which allows the body to recover from a higher training/injury load. I also find it psychologically refreshing to change focus periodically. Right now we are very swim-heavy and I'm really into it ;-)
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    alathIN wrote: »
    I like the suggestions above about how people organize their weeks.

Just wanted to throw in, sometimes there is also value to your monthly and yearly patterns.

In my fitness group, we have a three week pattern of 1) medium week, 2) big week, 3) recovery week. We still train on recovery week, but decrease both volume and intensity and prioritize sleep.

We also do a seasonal pattern; In January we begin building our run volume to peak in the Spring running season. Cycling builds from early spring and into triathlon season. We also have a Fall running season. Winter is swim focus. We continue training all these things, plus strength and flexibility, year round - but each season has a "focus" which allows the body to recover from a higher training/injury load. I also find it psychologically refreshing to change focus periodically. Right now we are very swim-heavy and I'm really into it ;-)

Interesting stuff. I would argue that one should always prioritise sleep, though, as it does wonders for both body and mind.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

You're talking about the stuff online that does something like burpees, then high knees, then pushups, right? But hiit is basically meant for interval running? I would like that, because it's the sprinting that I enjoy. But I also like the sense of accomplishment that comes from paced running, if that makes sense. And it's a huge stress reliever.

I've been trying to research running safety, and I'm not familiar with the roads in one direction (I live in the country on a main road ), and the other direction I know well and it's downhill, but when you get around the corner and get to the straightaway, there is almost no shoulder, and deep ditches between the road and houses. So I'm trying to figure out if I should walk the other direction further up hill to check it out.

Face oncoming traffic as much as possible so you can see cars. I can't tell if the road is passable from your description.

If you like sprints and want a structured plan Google Fartleks. I do a lot of shuttle and suicide sprints at the end of my training.
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    This is going the other way (the one I was not familiar with ). I walked about a mile to check it out. Once you get to the far end of this stretch, it slopes downhill, and there is an S curve. And there is a little 2 lane bridge, which doesn't have much shoulder because of the snow. The problem is that I kept crossing, because I was afraid a car wouldn't be able to slow down enough once they saw me. It's a fairly busy road. An experienced runner probably wouldn't have a problem, but I'm a little apprehensive. It was fun though. :smile:
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Typical week:

Monday: run in am, yoga class in pm
    Tuesday: strength train
    Wednesday: run am, yoga pm
    Thursday: strength train
    Friday: run
    Saturday: run
    Sunday: long run

35-40 miles per week.
  • heybales
    Options

Correct, what has otherwise been called calisthenics for ages when people did them, perhaps the shorter rest is newer for many, but was always an option.
    And actually, cardio HIIT isn't useful to do more than once weekly. Takes a lot of recovery.
    Usually very specific too, in order to mimic lifting. 1:3 ratio sprint to walking, from 15 sec to 45 sec sprint times, meaning 45 - 135 sec walk times. 8-10 reps is all that's needed.
    And it is a blast outside, especially if you have some inclines. Nothing like going all out up a short hill for 15 sec, then getting your breath back.
    But gotta have that aerobic base down - murder on tendons that are unprepared for it.

Plus, only building that carb-burning anaerobic side of the cardio range doesn't do nearly as much for endurance as what you call pace running, otherwise might think of it as HR zone running. Because pace would normally slow on a hill, faster on flat, ect. But the effort will feel the same.
    And that's where you get most of your benefit - but as several mentioned, don't want to do it too hard. Take care of fitness first, pace will increase automatically. Try to take care of pace first, endurance rarely follows.
  • heybales
    Options
    @fitmama0914 - Can't hit quote with the pic there, which is good pic.

That's not too bad, as long as you got some non-cotton socks since feet will likely get wet in that snow slush.
    And facing oncoming cars, watching like an eagle if you need to take a hill or ditch jump because they don't see you. I would not do music at all, you want ears on the cars.

And some safety vest, red lights on hat, ect.

You are brave, but it is fun too.

That is difficult about country roads, not many options. Do you have the ability for a short drive to better walk/jogging area?
  • fitmama0914
    Options

Correct, what has otherwise been called calisthenics for ages when people did them, perhaps the shorter rest is newer for many, but was always an option.
    And actually, cardio HIIT isn't useful to do more than once weekly. Takes a lot of recovery.
    Usually very specific too, in order to mimic lifting. 1:3 ratio sprint to walking, from 15 sec to 45 sec sprint times, meaning 45 - 135 sec walk times. 8-10 reps is all that's needed.
    And it is a blast outside, especially if you have some inclines. Nothing like going all out up a short hill for 15 sec, then getting your breath back.
    But gotta have that aerobic base down - murder on tendons that are unprepared for it.

Plus, only building that carb-burning anaerobic side of the cardio range doesn't do nearly as much for endurance as what you call pace running, otherwise might think of it as HR zone running. Because pace would normally slow on a hill, faster on flat, ect. But the effort will feel the same.
    And that's where you get most of your benefit - but as several mentioned, don't want to do it too hard. Take care of fitness first, pace will increase automatically. Try to take care of pace first, endurance rarely follows.

I think I maybe confused pace with endurance, because when I say paced I mean being able to run for awhile without having to stop to recover. Or feeling like I'm going too fast. But that's from not having a good endurance to begin with, right?
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    @fitmama0914 - Can't hit quote with the pic there, which is good pic.

That's not too bad, as long as you got some non-cotton socks since feet will likely get wet in that snow slush.
    And facing oncoming cars, watching like an eagle if you need to take a hill or ditch jump because they don't see you. I would not do music at all, you want ears on the cars.

And some safety vest, red lights on hat, ect.

You are brave, but it is fun too.

That is difficult about country roads, not many options. Do you have the ability for a short drive to better walk/jogging area?

A ditch jump would land me in a snowbank, but at least my fall would be cushioned, lol. In summer, the road wouldn't be too bad to run on. My friend says the town recently built a track, so I'm going to check it out when I get a chance.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Speed is measured as kilometres per hour or miles per hour.
    Pace is minutes per kilometre or mile.
    This is pure physics and can apply to any moving object to describe its motion.

Endurance has to do with your body, how fit you are and how well you perform. It includes muscle strength and oxygen metabolism among others.

The higher/better your endurance, the longer and faster you can run. Roughly put.
  • heybales
    Options
    I think I maybe confused pace with endurance, because when I say paced I mean being able to run for awhile without having to stop to recover. Or feeling like I'm going too fast. But that's from not having a good endurance to begin with, right?

Yep, when you say paced, that's more called steady-state. You aren't jumping your effort all over the place, slow then fast, easy then hard.

Being able to do any running over time/distance is related to pace though. You could probably run longer right now - if the pace was slow enough. Ok, maybe it would be walking fast rather than running right now, but that's the idea.

But there are many that go out full force for their short bit, barely get in to it, and have to stop to recover first. Well, pace too fast.

Good fitness is related to endurance, and good pace control.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Yep, when you say paced, that's more called steady-state. You aren't jumping your effort all over the place, slow then fast, easy then hard.

Being able to do any running over time/distance is related to pace though. You could probably run longer right now - if the pace was slow enough. Ok, maybe it would be walking fast rather than running right now, but that's the idea.

But there are many that go out full force for their short bit, barely get in to it, and have to stop to recover first. Well, pace too fast.

I wonder whether there is anything in the body doing pace control or whether it is mind only. I'm thinking of muscle memory or such. Is there any research on this yet, you think?
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am training for my 1st marathon in January but here is what my week looks like:

Sunday- long run (right now I am at 18 miles)*
    Monday- Spin Class
    Tuesday- run 5-6 miles or depending on the week active recovery (yoga typically)*
    Wednesday- body pump/ab class
    Thursday- cross/weight training with my trainer
    Friday-run 7-9 miles*
    Saturday- cross/weight training with my trainer

*When I wasn't training I would run by would decrease the mileage.

On my running days I will do different paces. For example on the short day I will run my 5k pace. On the longer day my 1/2 pace and on my long day I will use my marathon pace (or what I want it to be).

I would try getting one of those headlamps. When I used one for the first time I felt like a total dork. HA But hey its better than being road kill. :)

The most important thing for me was getting fitted for the right shoes. Silly me, when I started I thought I could just go down to Foot Locker and get a pair of nikes and call it a day. I ended up with horrible shin splints. I went to a running store and got my stride looked at (free at most running stores) and I found I was wearing the completely wrong shoes. Once I got that taken care of I was set.
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    I am training for my 1st marathon in January but here is what my week looks like:

Sunday- long run (right now I am at 18 miles)*
    Monday- Spin Class
    Tuesday- run 5-6 miles or depending on the week active recovery (yoga typically)*
    Wednesday- body pump/ab class
    Thursday- cross/weight training with my trainer
    Friday-run 7-9 miles*
    Saturday- cross/weight training with my trainer

*When I wasn't training I would run by would decrease the mileage.

On my running days I will do different paces. For example on the short day I will run my 5k pace. On the longer day my 1/2 pace and on my long day I will use my marathon pace (or what I want it to be).

I would try getting one of those headlamps. When I used one for the first time I felt like a total dork. HA But hey its better than being road kill. :)

The most important thing for me was getting fitted for the right shoes. Silly me, when I started I thought I could just go down to Foot Locker and get a pair of nikes and call it a day. I ended up with horrible shin splints. I went to a running store and got my stride looked at (free at most running stores) and I found I was wearing the completely wrong shoes. Once I got that taken care of I was set.

Today, after the walk yesterday, the outside of my left calf hurts. Idk if it's from the snow, or the shoes, or the way I walk. I know that my left ankle is weak as it is, because every time I walk down stairs it feels like it wants to give out. And when I walk, my toes point out, but Idk if that's normal, or not.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Today, after the walk yesterday, the outside of my left calf hurts. Idk if it's from the snow, or the shoes, or the way I walk. I know that my left ankle is weak as it is, because every time I walk down stairs it feels like it wants to give out. And when I walk, my toes point out, but Idk if that's normal, or not.

Have you had a gait analysis? You calf pain may be a result of your walking/running gait -- you may be able to correct this with orthotic inserts.
  • heybales
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I wonder whether there is anything in the body doing pace control or whether it is mind only. I'm thinking of muscle memory or such. Is there any research on this yet, you think?

Well, outside going anaerobic and that is just for fact short lived forcing you to slow down, I think it's just mental.

This research on level of perceived effort compared between treadmill and outside, and actual effort as shown by HR and calorie burn.

Here's one study on the mental aspect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22357398

"These findings confirmed that one's perception of speed was influenced by the treadmill on which individuals were unable to match their corresponding self-selected overground running speed. The unmatched perception of speed is likely due to the distortion of normal visual inputs resulting from the discrepancy between observed and expected optic flow. "
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Running - M/W are interval runs, F is an endurance run. Weights (full body, about 1.25 hrs) 2x per week. Lots of cycling, rowing, swimming, and walking on other days.