Not eating for pleasure

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    people lie...........people eat good to look better........u can't really get both and be happy ALL of the time........so you eat bad here and there to pacify yourself.

Nope, sorry...that's a sad and incorrect view. Many of the dishes I make are as good, if not better, than the equivalents I've had in restaurants. I eat more so-called bad foods when I don't have time to cook. Given time, I prefer my own cooking because it tastes better and is way more satisfying.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    people lie...........people eat good to look better........u can't really get both and be happy ALL of the time........so you eat bad here and there to pacify yourself.
    These things are not mutually exclusive. Properly prepared chicken breast with the right mix of herbs/spices/salt/fats can taste extremely indulgent. If you become a connoisseur of seasonings, you can make almost anything taste fantastic.
    I shouldnt have to MAKE......it should taste good and I want it regardless.......

Huh?

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    These things are not mutually exclusive. Properly prepared chicken breast with the right mix of herbs/spices/salt/fats can taste extremely indulgent. If you become a connoisseur of seasonings, you can make almost anything taste fantastic.
    I shouldnt have to MAKE......it should taste good and I want it regardless.......

LOL!! You shouldn't have to "make" it taste good? What do you think the cooks in the restaurants do? What foods do you eat that aren't "made" to taste good, and just do that naturally with no seasoning or cooking skills? Is all you eat fruit and raw veggies?
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I really don't understand the comments that food is fuel only (both fuel and pleasure makes sense). I just ate my first clementine orange of the Christmas season and it was sensory perfection. It filled my house with a lovely smell, the juice ran down my chin and the taste was sweet. Thank god these bad boys are low in calories and come in vast quantities at at low cost this time of year.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I do it for both.

2 birds with one stone.

this ...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Eating for pleasure is indulging in rich creamy ice cream, or donuts. Eating for my body is eating baked chicken breast. They are different things to me. I do not eat for pleasure. It is a chore and a task. I don't enjoy anything about it, except, I love being healthy and strong. But, the eating part is not enjoyable.

because you can't have delicious chicken breasts?

why not?
    breasts are always good.

Its boring.

you're making the wrong kind of chickens then my friend!!!
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on where they are coming from. My definition of eating for pleasure when I first got here was to fix a bad day. I used food to make me feel better. Now my definition is to enjoy food that tastes good. That doesn't always mean it has to be a cheat meal or over done. But I do enjoy foods that taste good. Now I enjoy food but make sure they fit in my macros. And I don't go find a food that will fix anything. Now if I enjoy a cheat meal its because I have earned it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I love food, and I love all kinds of food. Not sure if that makes me a "foodie" or not, but I for sure loving going out to a nice restaurant and enjoying a great meal, or a home cooked one that I have made.

From browsing through here it seems we are on the whole clean vs dirty thing. I.E. I have to eat healthy food that tastes bland to fuel my body, but if I eat a donut for pleasure that is bad, aka dirty …

I think we just need to realize there is no good vs bad food or clean vs dirty food; there is just food that your body uses for energy. Make sure that you eat the foods that allow you to hit your calorie and macro targets and you will be fine. Why does it have to be healthy vs not healthy….or tastes good vs does not taste good…???
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It can, but I think it's sad when people think that because they are dieting it's the only meat they can eat.

Probably because it would drive me crazy, and it's true that others might not mind it so much, but I've seen lots of posts along the lines of "out of chicken breast ideas" and while I have some chicken breast ideas my main idea is "eat some other sort of meat once in a while."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Finding pleasure in food and enjoyment in eating is not the same thing as using food and eating to pleasure yourself.

There's nothing wrong with sitting down and enjoying a good meal and appreciating the effort that someone put into preparing that meal...the balance of flavors and textures, etc. Sitting down and enjoying a meal and finding pleasure in it is a far cry different than being sad or depressed or whatever...and eating to find some kind of pleasure.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It can, but I think it's sad when people think that because they are dieting it's the only meat they can eat.

Probably because it would drive me crazy, and it's true that others might not mind it so much, but I've seen lots of posts along the lines of "out of chicken breast ideas" and while I have some chicken breast ideas my main idea is "eat some other sort of meat once in a while."
    I ate so much chicken as a kid that I can't stand it any more, especially chicken thighs. I'll eat it out of politeness, but chicken meat is banned from my home.

I eat chicken breasts in the form of pork chops and occasional steak.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That's a good point. Personally, I would eat shrimp every meal if I could afford it. Why can't shrimp be as cheap as chicken?
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I generally have been eating to fuel my body and to get the most "economy" from my calorie allotment for the day. That said, I enjoy most of the stuff I eat and would eat them even if I weren't trying to lose weight. But the stuff that got me fat, the candy and "junk" (that's what I think of it now) I avoid like the plague. I dunno that I will ever eat that stuff again because if I'm perfectly honest, even though it tasted good, it made me feel like crap. And not because of guilt. But because it make me feel lazy and stuffed and foggy. I can get as much pleasure from a pan-seared fish filet drizzled with herbs, olive oil and lemon as i can from a greasy slice of pizza. Besides, I live in NJ now and it's crap compared to NY pizza! Seriously, I would want to lay down and be lazy if I ate the greasy, fattening thing. That's how I got fat. If I ate the fish I would have energy because it's a light, bright meal.

My love/hate relationsip with food has come to this: I cannot obsess about food any more. Food doesn't make me happy. There is more to life than food. I enjoy a lot of things more than food. So every once in a while I can have a "tasty treat" but for the most part, I'd rather be off doing the things being fat prevented me from doing for the past 2 years.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sarahb2023 wrote: »
    First of all, it is not just a weight loss forum.
    Plenty of people here gain weight, lose weight and maintain

Sure.
    "Goal: Maintaing Weight" has 143 pages of posts.
    "Goal: Gaining Weight" has 108.

"General Diet and Weight Loss Help" has... 6619 pages.

If you look at the "I'm new here" messages, the common narrative is one of yo-yo dieting, sometimes over decades.

If people stick to steady deficits, they can fix almost any weight problem within a year. But that's not happening for a lot of people.
    Why? I'm new here, but the Thanksgiving threads in combination with the backstories have been pretty illuminating.

I bet it's largely that a lot of people are really, really excited to eat. Unhealthily stoked, you could say. Rabidly enthused. Foodies are food hobbyists, and I think their attitude is often dysfunctional and enabling.

(But not you! You just have refined taste and appreciate the finer things in life. Go you! Mmm-wah!)

your kind of a dick
    you're**

LOL- indeed.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see both sides to it. This has been an eighteen month long project so far, and it will be a lifetime change. If I hated what I was doing, I'd never last.

Being a long-time diabetic (now in remission) I do treat food as fuel. Very much so. Every meal, every portioning is a calculation. My dad told me very much the same thing; you have to treat it as a sort of medicine. The one time I really suffered was when I was on a dietitian ordered liquid diet (two weeks) that required absolutely no planning. I immediately got a severe migraine not thinking about it.

I like food very much. I approach delicacies with tenderness, and a tablespoon of some rich thing is just enough. So I better make it good and I better make it last.

Mindless eating is pretty much over. I had the munchies last night so I took a cup container and filled it with movie popcorn. Three times. I measured it so I would not mindlessly eat from the bag.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Okay so the "I only eat for fuel" people, I gotta wonder, do you only have sex when you want to procreate, too?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do choose foods that are good for me, but it's not like I sit on an iron spike and eat raw turnips*, either.

*Extra geek points if you saw what I did there....
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Okay so the "I only eat for fuel" people, I gotta wonder, do you only have sex when you want to procreate, too?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do choose foods that are good for me, but it's not like I sit on an iron spike and eat raw turnips*, either.

*Extra geek points if you saw what I did there....

Mario 2? I don't actually buy that there is anyone who isn't choosing fuel with taste somewhat in mind. Maybe something you hate here and there, but always choosing food that doesn't have some pleasantness for you? Yeah, no.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If I ate for pleasure...my diet would consist of everything chocolate. And ice cream. Caramel too.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    This would never work for me. I have seen people say it, and my dad even says it, but that sort of approach is rare. I just look for ways to get pleasure out of healthier foods. It's usually possible. Little bit of learned preparation technique here and there will get you far.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Yep, agreed. Chocolate isn't the only thing that tastes good.