Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwiches

Options
Hi im looking to lose weight and i have read that Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwiches are good for losing weight.

I normally have shredded weight for breakfast, shake for lunch and a normal dinner at night and always calorie count using fitness pal app which is great

If so when would be best to have one Breakfast, Pre workout or after?

Im trying to stick to cutting 1000 calories daily, Im row 30 - 60 min daily 5 times a week

Ive been rowing on and off for a about 3 month and ive lost 10 pounds and ive kept it off too when i have taken a brake from rowing say 1-2 weeks

Sorry im a bit of a noob here

Also what peanut butter do u recommend here in the uk

Thxs

Replies

• Lucknawi
    Lucknawi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi... I honestly wouldn't suggest you use peanut butter unless you use PB2, it's lower calorie for sure... peanut butter generally is high fat and carb and not high enough protein to counter and is about 100 calories per tablespoon while bananas, which are amazing, are also high in carbs (good fibre but high sugar). If you like sweet try having a fruit and protein powder smoothie that is peanut butter flavored (why not banana and pb flavored... you get the same thing!)

Also it's just my suggestion, I don't know you very well and don't know what your macro balance is and why you were choosing a PB&Banana sandy for breakfast so I am just giving my two cents on what I do know :)

I am more of an egg whites and a sprinkle of cheese for breakfast kind of person, high protein, moderate fat and low carb!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Unless you are like 90lbs then 1000 calories is probably not enough.

and peanut butter doesn't enhance weight loss. Neither do bananas. Eat this if you like it and whenever you want, within your calories. and up your calorie goal to something reasonable.
  • bornnslippy
    bornnslippy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    no im 214 im trying to have a deficit of 1000 each day after exercise
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    PB&B is exactly what i had as a snack today. It was awsome.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It would certainly give you energy for the workout. Or whenever.

It it fits into your day's calories, eat it! I don't think it's better for losing weight than anything else, but it's good.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    peanut butter banana oatmeal is awesome.
  • hgwill78
    hgwill78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat a PB&B sandwich almost daily for breakfast before I run. I've lost about 70 pounds, but I can tell you it has nothing to do with the sandwich and everything to do with sticking to my daily calorie goal. I eat them because I like them.
  • bornnslippy
    bornnslippy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thxs for replies guys

hgwill78 how long does it keep the hunger at bay for as im finding cereal doesnt cut it for me
  • hgwill78
    hgwill78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thxs for replies guys

hgwill78 how long does it keep the hunger at bay for as im finding cereal doesnt cut it for me

Usually until lunch which is about 4 hours for me. Depends on my run though, if I run 30 minutes and lift 30 minutes I'm good until lunch. If I do a longer run I'm starving when I'm done. If I eat cereal I've found raisin bran sticks the longest.

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    No one food is good for loosign weight, its over all intake that matters and being in a deficit.

If you like peanut butter and banana sammys then eat them

I find it way to high in cals for the little amount it fills me up

I do have 5g of penut butter on a rice thin when i get a craving, which is daily :)

back in the day my PB and Banana sandwich would be well over 500 calories, and would have atleast two
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Love peanut butter and banana sandwiches. But no, nothing magical about them.
  • andydebnam85
    andydebnam85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    make sure it is organic peanut butter and not the jar of sunpat from supermarket as it is loaded with sugar and salt etc
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Deep fry them like Elvis...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    make sure it is organic peanut butter and not the jar of sunpat from supermarket as it is loaded with sugar and salt etc

What is wrong with sugar and salt?

I love my jiffy... Yum!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tried the natural peanut butter once! I ended up throwing the whole jar away, it was terrible :(
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I tried the natural peanut butter once! I ended up throwing the whole jar away, it was terrible :(

I 100% agree. Most can't guarentee that they are completely gluten free during manufacturing, so won't even try to buy "natural" anymore.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    hmmmm

peanut butter and banana sandwiches are no better for losing weight than ice cream or broccoli.

if i were me i would eat them before a workout but again... not because it would help me lose weight but maybe because that was what i felt like eating that day, and i usually eat sandwiches for lunch and then go to the gym at 1:30pm... so i guess what i am saying is.

its a sandwich. it wont make you lose weight. it would probably taste good. and would probably make you feel full for a while. as long as it didnt make you go over your callorie allotment. because what makes you lose weight is staying under your calorie allotment.

just an fyi though. a peanut butter sandwich made with 2 tbsp peanut butter, two slice of sara lee honey wheat bread, and a whole small banana is almost 475 calories. also a tbsp is a level tbsp not heaping and if you measured it... you would probably find most people use more like 3-4 tbsp per sandwich so...

it doesnt really matter which thing you eat just eat less than you burn.

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Uconn used to have "Grab n' Go's" which were open after dining halls closed. Some of them had sandwiches called, "Monkey Fetish." It was peanut butter, banana, honey. So damn tasty.

I'd eat a huge dinner, then go right there, get a few of those, go back to my room, and eat more. Ahh the benefits of being young and incredibly active. I was eating thousands of calories in a meal and somehow losing weight... o:)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I prefer my peanut butter and bananas without the bread.

Edit: Peanut butter and apple slices are another fave of mine.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    eat more.