Losing too fast since I started swimming

Options

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    how much more do you need to lose? If it's still substantial- I'd just say roll with the 2.5 pounds untill it stops. Because it will.

Otherwise- just eat more.

Have considered how much the OP has to lose and her current eating of roughly 1,800 calories a day I agree with this. Without boring everyone the 1-2 lbs a week "rule" is more of a guideline based on the relative energy yields of 1lb of muscle in comparison to 1lb of fat and how this correlates with the calorie deficit created (the assumption being if the loss is more than 1-2lbs it must be coming from sources other than fat - muscle, organs, bone etc.)

With people that have a lot to lose the concerns are mitigated as they tend to lose more fat than muscle despite a steep deficit than leaner individuals.

So, the OP can certainly eat more if she wishes but shouldn't feel compelled to do so (unless she feels weak, exhausted or has adverse symptoms for example).

The OP can choose how to distribute these extra calories to her preference but if she wants to maximise fitness gains for example then eating around her workout times can help.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You're not trying to stop weight loss- you're trying to slow it- which doesn't mean eating back ALL the calories.

And I'd be highly suspect if you were burning close over 1000 calories on your workout days.

As a power lifter and a dancer- even when I spend 2 hrs in the gym then go straight to the studio and spend 2-3 hrs at the studio- I'm not burning that much.

again- it's likely extra 2-300 calories per day to slow it up. If you think it's close to 1000 then eat that- in which case up your fats and proteins. doesnt' matter when- just eat more of the same with more oil in it.

also ice cream.

Let me try this again:

My MFP target is 1870 calories which has a weekly deficit of 3250 calories already built in to lose 9/10ths of a lb a week.

I DO NOT eat back all of my additional exercise calories. Typically 1/2 of targeted exercise calories, none of incidental exercise calories.

At a deficit of 3500 calories a week to lose one lb., to average 1.5 lb my deficit should be around 5250.

I am currently losing an average of 2.5 lb a week which means that my deficit is closer to 8750 calories.

If I really am eating at a 8750 deficit, 300-500 calories per day will bring me back to the 5000-6000 deficit weekly. Should I do that daily, or eat closer to an extra 800-1000 just on the 3 days I work out?

Love the ice cream idea, but too many carbs to work it in often. Same thing with wine and beer. All of those are my treats when I have extra carbs to play with.

ETA: I strongly suspect that I am not burning 1000 with the walking, swimming and aerobics (hence only eating back a couple hundred of the calories), but my current increased weight loss is telling me that I am burning more than I think.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well clearly you already know better so I'm just going to stop bothering.

Good luck!!!
  • msf74
    edited December 2014
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    If I really am eating at a 8750 deficit, 300-500 calories per day will bring me back to the 5000-6000 deficit weekly. Should I do that daily, or eat closer to an extra 800-1000 just on the 3 days I work out?

It's up to you. Do what you feel most comfortable with as it won't make a difference in reality as long as your deficit averages out to be roughly the same thing over time.

• earlnabby
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sorry about the duplicate post

de94222e-60a4-4b30-a12c-de95af069fe5_zpsbc1b04b5.jpg

• earlnabby
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

It's up to you. Do what you feel most comfortable with as it won't make a difference in reality as long as you are deficit averages out to be roughly the same thing over time.

So it doesn't really matter if I target fuel my workouts, or just eat at a general deficit?

• msf74
    Options

It's up to you. Do what you feel most comfortable with as it won't make a difference in reality as long as you are deficit averages out to be roughly the same thing over time.

So it doesn't really matter if I target fuel my workouts, or just eat at a general deficit?

In terms of fat / weight loss it will make no appreciable difference.

In terms of fitness gains then proper fuelling pre and post workout can help maximise gains but again for the average person it's not really worth worrying about.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    how much more do you need to lose? If it's still substantial- I'd just say roll with the 2.5 pounds untill it stops. Because it will.

+1
    I think you are eating enough to prevent hair loss, especially if you are careful to get enough protein.

How about listening to your body signals? Typically I am ravenous the day after vigorous exercise. So I eat more then.

• 47to27
    47to27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the diabetes management... from meds to diet/exercise is WONDERFUL!! Kudos to you!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I don't think it does - if you were getting worn out or having a hard time completing the workouts then I would say fuel around them, but it sounds like you feel fine and have energy so if it were me I would just add more daily cals.

Oh WHO AM I KIDDING - if it were me I would be doing a happy dance over faster weight loss lol :)
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    you can always add a large salad to one of your meals, a few strips of bacon crumbled on top and that will give you a bit added fat and protein. And the salad doesn't really add that much, carb wise.

I almost always go over in calories on the days when I snack on nuts. Love them, but be cautious because as an every day snack - they will potentially increase your LDL cholesterol.

There's always adding a snack of humus and veggies...

Or a piece of fruit? Peaches are lower carb than bananas

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    or for an on-the-go treat ... Larabars... had one today that was dates, unsweetened coconut, ground nuts, and coconut oil. Totally delicious...
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm a swimmer and runner, and, like you, I can't eat right before a workout. I ran into a problem with losing too much weight and started adding avocado to everything that didn't move out of the way fast enough (salads, burgers, quesadillas, chicken...). I also changed from skim milk to 2% and started eating full fat cottage cheese and hard cheeses. I was able to gain back the extra 5 pounds, and I've stayed at my current weight for about a year (this was my goal).

If I swim in the morning, I find that I can eat a little bit all day, and that helps. If I swim at night, I wake up at 2 a.m. and want ALL the food RIGHT NOW!!! The time of day you eat should be dependent on when your body needs the food. Let me know if you figure that one out.

Congratulations on the weight loss thus far! That is a tremendous accomplishment. Keep up the good work.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a hard and fast rule regarding when to add your workout calories. I find that eating more first thing in the morning and having multiple snacks works well for me but I know plenty of people who prefer the opposite. I would try it several ways and see what feels the best to you.

I would probably load up on fat, although who am I kidding, I do that anyway. Choose fattier cuts of meat like chicken thighs and pork. Use butter instead of margarine for cooking. If you've switched to low fat dairy go ahead and switch back. I know you're not a newbie so apologies if you've already done all of those things. Also keep in mind though that it may feel like a ton of calories now but you'll adjust over time so don't worry.

I never thought of the dairy. I use full fat hard cheeses and 1/2&1/2 in my coffee but my Greek yogurt is fat free. That would be a good idea to add a few more calories! Never used margarine, it would be a sacrilege for this descendant of Wisconsin dairy farmers ;)
    Posters have already given you good ideas, so I just wanted to mention this: switch to 2% Greek yogurt. It will add a small amount of fat and calories, but it tastes SO much better! Congrats on all your success so far!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You're working really hard to improve your health, and it's great that you're enjoying the swimming and water aerobics so much. Could you talk with your doctor and get her thoughts on how you can best add food to slow down weight loss? It sounds like she's been a really big help to you, and this is a good question to get her input. ~Lynn/Glucerna
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. After further consideration, I have made my plan. As I am sure some have guessed, I am very conservative when it comes to making changes in what has been working and upping my activity level to moderately active gives me more calories daily than I am comfortable with, so instead I am going to eat back most of my exercise calories on workout days only. I will start with adding about 600-700 on those days and will do it by adding a protein rich mid morning snack, doubling my protein for lunch, and filling in the rest with my evening snack (thank you everyone for your ideas!). I'll do that for a few weeks and see if the loss slows. If it doesn't slow enough, I will up my calories everyday a little.

I currently am losing at a comfortable pace plus I feel very healthy with lots of energy and am gaining more strength in both the lower and upper body and want to keep it all going like it. Losing 2.5 lb a week makes me nervous but if I can get in down to somewhere a little closer to 1.5-1.75 I will be happy. I am a firm believer in the old adage "you've got to dance with who brung you".
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

That is what I do in times like that because it always slows back down.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I have another 72 lb to lose but have had fast losses before that have caused physical issues (like major hair sheds) and really don't want to risk that this time.

I know I need to eat more. My question is if it is better to eat more on the days I exercise to fuel the exercise or just in general. If it is to fuel the exercise, how is it best to do it?

2 pounds is still reasonable and medically sound.

If it goes up faster than than that I'd be more worried.

as far as timing- whenever you want.

As far as when- it depends on how you count your calories- I don't account for my workouts- it's built into my calorie count- I use TDEE.

if you use MFP's method- which is the NEET method- you add your workouts then eat back some of the calories- so if that's the method you're using- only eat extra on your workout days.

Don't over complicate it- at 250 calories-eating a single snickers bar the days you workout will more than compensate for extra calories- although- I wouldn't recommend that for you- just an example- a small snack of 200 calories is more than enough.

Apple sauce- glass of milk- glass of juice- whatever snack you like- more dairy- more egg.... don't over think it- we aren't talking about thousands of calories.

Actually, to slow my weight loss by around pound a week, we ARE talking about close to 3000 calories a week. My earned exercise calories are about 1100 on workout days so I should be adding at least 500-700 on those days. I also average about 300 extra from fitbit steps on non-workout days but I rarely eat those back because I thought I built them in when I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active.

I'm trying to not overthink this, but the extra weight loss has me concerned.

There's not a single reason in the world a person in your situation needs to be concerned about a 2.5 pound per week loss. That's not hair shedding territory. Not even close. And as Jo stated, this rate is temporary and will level off soon enough. Relax a bit and let the process work for you.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As you become a better and more efficient swimmer and continue to lose weight, you will burn fewer calories by swimming. You're probably burning a lot now because your body hasn't adapted to it yet - it will :)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    As you become a better and more efficient swimmer and continue to lose weight, you will burn fewer calories by swimming. You're probably burning a lot now because your body hasn't adapted to it yet - it will :)

I understand that and will cut my calories back when it happens. I really am trying to keep a steady rate of loss rather than fast losses that gradually get slower.