Compression socks, leggings, tights... and everything else in compression.

Options
hedgiie
hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
just wondering if you guys have an experience in compression thingy? I play basketball and i'm planning to use a compression calf socks. just wondering if this is just another hype or does this really work?

Replies

• hedgiie
    Options
    some of my friends use them some don't. those who use them said it helps. what do you think?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    They are useful for certain things, but you didn't actually define what you mean by them working. Compression sleeves on my elbows and knees have made a huge difference in pain/comfort/tendonitis prevention (especially the elbows).
  • tessaleonie
    tessaleonie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love running in my Skins tights. They probably don't make me faster (superb placebo though), but they absolutely help with recovery after a long run. Plus I find it ridiculously comfortable to run all squished in.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    IIRC the benefits of compression clothing seem more supportable from the recovery angle (so wearing them after the activity.)

During as an aid to performance is a bit more iffy but that said they are very comfortable which is a benefit to pushing yourself a bit harder (as you are not obsessing about your underwear garrotting you for example...)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    IIRC the benefits of compression clothing seem more supportable from the recovery angle (so wearing them after the activity.)

During as an aid to performance is a bit more iffy..........

^^^^ This but I personally wear compression tights and/or compression socks (depending on the season) for the longest runs in a pre-race training cycle and do find I feel a little less beat up than without but that could also just be the placebo effect.

I also wear a compression top under my shirt for long runs, especially in the warmer weather, but that's to avoid the dreaded runners bloody nipples......

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just wear compression elbow bands.... "SlingShots" is what they are called. Really helps with my elbow tendinitis. SlingShot also makes knee sleeves with help a lot if you have bad knees.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What does "really work" mean?

I've used compression shorts, tights, calf sleeves and socks, all with varying degrees of benefit.
  • hedgiie
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    They are useful for certain things, but you didn't actually define what you mean by them working. Compression sleeves on my elbows and knees have made a huge difference in pain/comfort/tendonitis prevention (especially the elbows).

Thanks, i'll give it a try,looks like it will prevent any problems.
  • hedgiie
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »

I find elbow sleeves help a lot with elbow pain too.

OP, I used to wear compression shorts and undershirts when playing rugby. I'm not sure if they did much good physically, but they always gave me a bit more confidence.

likewise, i also have a compression tights, i don't know if it helps or not but yes, it improves on a confidence part. but i can't tell if it specifically helps on certain area
  • hedgiie
    Options
    I love running in my Skins tights. They probably don't make me faster (superb placebo though), but they absolutely help with recovery after a long run. Plus I find it ridiculously comfortable to run all squished in.

i'm noticing there a comfort starting when you wear them on
  • hedgiie
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    What does "really work" mean?

I've used compression shorts, tights, calf sleeves and socks, all with varying degrees of benefit.

any specific category is what i mean "really work". looks like it contributes to placebo effect too which could help specially in sports. in my case i feel a bit more confident when playing basketball but it doesn't improve my shooting though. There are times when I'll have a better shooting percentage without my compression tights.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Anything over 3 miles, I wear my compression socks. They work wonders for recovery.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if 'does it work' means, 'does it enhance peak athletic performance' I'd say that's basically a hell no.

I had a torn forearm muscle, and just wearing a underarmor compression shirt did provide a some comfort (possibly placebo), and in that sense it might improve performance if you've an injury. But Tommy copper type things will do better for that.

I would also agree that its best use is in recovery, and in moderate to severe soft tissue damage in particular. I got some heavy duty elastic bands from Rouge for my forearm and its been helping nurse it back to health
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Compression socks won't do much to help your athleticism, if that is what you are going for. Some people like the feeling of the compression, some don't.

(Fellow basketball player)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    several of you have mentioned elbow pain...what have you gotten the pain from..
    I ask because i tend to get pain when im doing any tricep lift..skull crushers are a big one for me.

would the sleeves help there?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    how did it happen? not entirely sure. started out with some tricep pain. grew to the point where i stopped doing dips because they hurt and i thought that would be enough for my body to recover. then I started getting a tiny twinge just below my elbow. kept deleteing this or that exercise thinking it was just tendonitis and would go away. during this time I was also doing insanity or p90x. after months and months of pain, and not being able to lift my nephew without tearing up... I stopped going to the gym altogether but continued with insanity.

Did one round of PT while continuing to workout insanity like crazy... no progress.

stopped exercising altogether and did another round of PT, moderate progress.

its been over five months since I stopped working out and I've pain still.

long story short, I think it was an overuse injury that I aggravated to the point where I got legitimate muscle tares... and then continued to workout till I had a rather complex set of muscle/tendon trauma that's very difficult to climb out of. so far compression has yielded the most progress. need to see the orthopedist and probably get a shot and maybe some more therapy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    hedgiie wrote: »
    just wondering if you guys have an experience in compression thingy? I play basketball and i'm planning to use a compression calf socks. just wondering if this is just another hype or does this really work?

They claim to work.

Anecdatum: I use compression shorts on leg days, because it keeps my junk from floppin' about and getting smacked during DLs. It also seems that I can lift more, because shorts aren't riding up, getting stuck, and distracting me.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of studies about them for recovery, and they are good for it. I have found they also help me with my shin splints. My shins have improved considerably after working on my form and cross training, but they do still get irritated occasionally. I don't know if the shin benefits are placebo effect, because there's inconsistent information. It doesn't harm to wear them during performance, so I figure why not?
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    They are great for recovery. I also wear them during runs if I am a little sore from the day before.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

During as an aid to performance is a bit more iffy but that said they are very comfortable which is a benefit to pushing yourself a bit harder (as you are not obsessing about your underwear garrotting you for example...)

Now that ... is a disturbing mental image. I guess the ultimate atomic wedgie?

Anyway, I like compression for reducing vibration during long runs. Seems to help my legs stay fresher, longer.

I'll use compression socks after a new distance PR - they do help with recovery. Or, at least they keep the swelling down a bit while I recover, which makes me feel better. Not so stiff.