Options
13»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally
    I'm large-framed - by my wrist measurement and height
    I've got muscles (but don't think I'm very muscular) - thanks to my training programme
    I'm a UK size 10 to 12 now (US 6 to 8)
    My waist measurement is 42% of my height - which is the current 'healthy' measure that seems to be being spouted
    I'm still 10lbs above my maximum BMI

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BMI kind of falls apart when applied to individuals but it's an excellent measure of health over groups. It's proper use is for medical professionals to judge risk factors for weight related diseases, which is why it doesn't really make sense when it come to athletes. It is also used in conjunction with other things such as waist measurement, blood pressure and lung capacity as an indicator of health.

In short, if you're in good health and get exercise, a slightly overweight BMI doesn't mean you should lose weight. But, a lot of stomach fat + no exercise and and a slightly overweight BMI means you should get down to a normal level.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    mygrl4meee wrote: »
    Chances are as you drop weight your brain size will shrink with the rest of you.
    jrhxdw75mhf0.jpg
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    There is no 'women's BMI' and 'men's BMI' because it's a wide range that just refers to humans in general.

For the people who find it should never be applied to individuals-- What do you tell an underweight person here trying to lose more weight, to show them they don't need to? "You look too thin"?

I think BMI is much more useful than the older measures-- insurance tables or someone's subjective opinion.
    What methods do you consider older and outdated?
    The two I mentioned.

I know what BMI is. Do you know when calories were invented? Is it relevant to their use today?

Do you have a problem with me? Why not take it to a moderator or PM instead of pretending to schoolmarm all my posts. No one cares if you agree or disagree with me. State your point and move on. "I don't like BMI because it was invented before Facebook." Or whatever. This isn't a place where anyone gets to be 'right'.

but im not - Im speaking back and forth with you, that assumption is simply that.

anyway - back on topic - the two things you mentioned were insurance tables and others' subjective opinions - i didnt see insurance tables as older than BMI since they get updated or some such - but okay thanks for clarifying. I wish you luck.

(didnt get the calorie joke tho, but i think it was just sarcasm about them being 'invented' or whatnot)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a joke. The calorie as a measure of the energy in food was invented around 1850. It's still in common use, as are many measures invented centuries ago. The fact that BMI was invented around the same time doesn't mean it's not useful.

Before BMI was popularized in the last few decades, your doctor would compare you to data put together by insurance companies.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/5/1074.long

That has a good discussion of the history of the what we've used as standards. It seems to recommend a continued use of BMI along with other measures, but I didn't read it that closely.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    One of the biggest changes to standards (and honestly a big reason why Americans are so much "fatter" today) is that about 15 years ago or so they reduced the "healthy" BMI limit from 27.8 to 25. And just like that, overnight over 29 million people went from being healthy to overweight, even though nothing about their weight or health changed at all. The current average BMI in the US? 27.8. So before they changed the standard, the average American WASN'T overweight. Now, they are.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I am the same height as you. I weighed 272 and now weigh 171.0 and I still could lose more based on the size of my legs, arms and stomach.. my bra size was 42Dodd but now is a 38c. Chances are as you drop weight your brain size will shrink with the rest of you.

That was an @$$hole kind thing to say. Thanks for your support, much appreciated.

What was wrong with that post? Or are you referring to the obvious bad autocorrect?

Lol. I can't believe how many people didn't realize it...
  • yoovie
    Options
    It wasn't a joke. The calorie as a measure of the energy in food was invented around 1850. It's still in common use, as are many measures invented centuries ago. The fact that BMI was invented around the same time doesn't mean it's not useful.

Before BMI was popularized in the last few decades, your doctor would compare you to data put together by insurance companies.

That has a good discussion of the history of the what we've used as standards. It seems to recommend a continued use of BMI along with other measures, but I didn't read it that closely.

#marming
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

#marming
    I reserve that term for the posts with these:
    "um"
    "no."
    "wow"
    :D

Though to be fair you spared me the "um". Thanks for that!

• drunkenwaltz
    drunkenwaltz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    #marming

Are you serious? You're name calling because someone is disagreeing with you? With evidence?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

When I was in high school (1980s) I recall a popular standard being 5'=100 plus 5 lbs for each inch. No idea where it came from, but BMI certainly makes more sense and allows for a more realistic range.

Also, while it doesn't work for the muscular, I suspect no one in that category is confused about whether they are overweight.
  • yoovie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    #marming

Are you serious? You're name calling because someone is disagreeing with you? With evidence?

no, im sorry, i was trying to be silly, joke because she said that to me when i gave a fact and then she gave a bunch of... nevermind. yall just wanna fight. it was a silliness fail ok.

• yoovie
    Options
    we weren't even disagreeing. jesus.
  • projecthotbel
    projecthotbel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Wow.. I am not sure what to say to all the comments here..

I will throw this off a bit... What if you have breast implants??????

I can't decide what to do with mine either, do I subtract them or not?!

I am leaning towards not, but they are a little over 2 lbs each. I would like to not include that into my number. :) ... but they are a part of me now. Ugh.

• WalkingAlong
    Options
    I might mentally subtract 4 lbs. of non-human substance, to figure my BMI. It's part of you but it's not.

When you start subtracting for hair extensions and fake nails... ;)
  • projecthotbel
    projecthotbel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I might mentally subtract 4 lbs. of non-human substance, to figure my BMI. It's part of you but it's not.

When you start subtracting for hair extensions and fake nails... ;)

Hahaha. Yeah! I wonder how much they weigh.... just kidding ;)

Thanks!

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say the implants count. If I got them, they'd be part of the weight I was hauling around, my skin would stretch a bit, requiring more blood vessels, so they'd count. (No way in hell I'd ever consider them, lol.)

I don't think they really make enough difference to matter, though.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Chances are as you drop weight your brain size will shrink with the rest of you.

:| Losing weight makes your brain shrink? Crap... pass me all the cheeseburgers and pizza!

:)

Don't worry, the brain shrinkage from starvation can be reversed.
    http://www.livescience.com/8293-brain-shrinkage-anorexia-reversible.html

You can protect you brain by getting enough sleep, protein, and folate (leafy greens)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein–energy_malnutrition

Just try to avoid the brain shrinkage from obesity
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/03/study-4-factors-that-may-shrink-your-brain/
    ;)