Workout video programs for Heavy Lifting

Options
I love workout videos like Jillian Michaels and P90X3, but was wondering if there were video programs for a more "heavy lifting" type program that anyone knows of.
I know there are sites like SL 5x5 and bodybuilding that have videos per each exercise, but I am looking for more of a "30 minutes follow this for dummies" type thing.

I have googled and haven't seen much.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    And you probably won't.

Jillian Michaels and P90X3 are really cardio.

SL takes 30-45 minutes so watch youtube vids for form and go to the gym and do it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll find anything of that nature regarding heavy lifting. The written program is sufficient for most, and a video of someone just doing 5x5 of the same weight probably wouldn't sell very well.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The problem there is that most heavy lifting programs only have you doing a small handful of exercises per workout (take for example SL 5x5, which only does 3 exercises for an entire workout), and make use of equipment that, for most people, is simply not feasible to have at home (squat rack, bench press, olympic barbell, etc). So for a company to produce a "heavy lifting" video would be totally pointless. The amount of people who can afford to outfit their homes with the necessary equipment to follow the program are such a small minority it's just not worth catering to from a business perspective. The closest thing out there is Body Beast, which still requires a rather excessive array of weight (not really excessive, but it will seem like to compared to what you likely own now) and an adjustable bench.

Really you can only find these programs in book/ebook form.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    If you want something you can follow along with, try looking for apps instead of videos.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Look up Body Beast
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll definitely look up Body Beast and apps are a great idea! How did I not think of that!
    Also P90X3 isn't really cardio at all, but it's not really heavy lifting either. Looking for a little more of a challenge is all.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The problem there is that most heavy lifting programs only have you doing a small handful of exercises per workout (take for example SL 5x5, which only does 3 exercises for an entire workout), and make use of equipment that, for most people, is simply not feasible to have at home (squat rack, bench press, olympic barbell, etc). So for a company to produce a "heavy lifting" video would be totally pointless. The amount of people who can afford to outfit their homes with the necessary equipment to follow the program are such a small minority it's just not worth catering to from a business perspective. The closest thing out there is Body Beast, which still requires a rather excessive array of weight (not really excessive, but it will seem like to compared to what you likely own now) and an adjustable bench.

couldn't have said it better myself.

I've never seen body beast so I'm not entirely sure what its all about... but I think its more bodybuilding/isolation type moves. most people here seem to think your not lifting heavy if your not doing exclusively or nearly exclusively compound lifts.

That, of course, is ridiculous, heavy lifting is a function of the weight you use compared to your maximum capacity.

So IMO body beast could very well be heavy lifting... but if your looking for Strong lifts type stuff its probably a bit off the mark.

• contingencyplan
    Options

couldn't have said it better myself.

I've never seen body beast so I'm not entirely sure what its all about... but I think its more bodybuilding/isolation type moves. most people here seem to think your not lifting heavy if your not doing exclusively or nearly exclusively compound lifts.

That, of course, is ridiculous, heavy lifting is a function of the weight you use compared to your maximum capacity.

So IMO body beast could very well be heavy lifting... but if your looking for Strong lifts type stuff its probably a bit off the mark.

Body Beast is exactly that--Bodybuilding/isolation type workouts primarily, in splits.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    that being said there is likely something on you tube, or a series of videos that might give you approximately what you want.

There is software to download youtube videos. You could chose a lifting program you like, look on youtube for the appropriate form videos, and make your won 'strong lifts' DVD if you wanted to.

certainly wouldn't seem as polished as a professional workout video but it could end up being close to what you want if you put it together intelligently enough

• Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something that is kind of a transition between Jillian Michaels and a heavy lifting program, you could try Beachbody's Chalean Extreme, which uses heavy dumbbells. I did it twice, and then bought some equipment and now am working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Lena1967 wrote: »
    If you're looking for something that is kind of a transition between Jillian Michaels and a heavy lifting program, you could try Beachbody's Chalean Extreme, which uses heavy dumbbells. I did it twice, and then bought some equipment and now am working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Not a bad choice but still has much more of an endurance/circuit focus.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    belinda_b wrote: »
    I love workout videos like Jillian Michaels and P90X3, but was wondering if there were video programs for a more "heavy lifting" type program that anyone knows of.
    I know there are sites like SL 5x5 and bodybuilding that have videos per each exercise, but I am looking for more of a "30 minutes follow this for dummies" type thing.

there isn't anything. Prticularly since you have to lift in a gym or gym like area, and those don't have cardio theaters for entertainment.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

there isn't anything. Prticularly since you have to lift in a gym or gym like area, and those don't have cardio theaters for entertainment.

Essentially that.

There is no way to do these types of workouts without either a) access to a gym, or b) converting an entire room of your house into a gym. It's simply not feasible to recreate workouts of this nature with the kind of minimal equipment you've been getting through other home oriented programs with, and that reason is why you will probably never see a follow-along DVD of this type of workout.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym, but still like the idea of these transition ideas like Body Beast and Chalean Extreme. Exactly the type of suggestions I was looking for. Something in between for now.
    Thanks guys!
  • dbmata
    Options
    I have a home gym, but still like the idea of these transition ideas like Body Beast and Chalean Extreme. Exactly the type of suggestions I was looking for. Something in between for now.
    Thanks guys!

Best of luck to ya. :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    if you do Stronglifts, he does have youtube videos on the site of both exercise routines. It's a good beginner program and you can stick with it and really see your lifting increase. I've been using it for 6+ months now
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    jmc0806 wrote: »
    if you do Stronglifts, he does have youtube videos on the site of both exercise routines. It's a good beginner program and you can stick with it and really see your lifting increase. I've been using it for 6+ months now

^ This. I followed this for 2+ yrs and saw big gains in my strength.
  • weighless14
    weighless14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cathe Www.cathe.com has quite a bit of strength training videos that are focused on the 8-12 rep range.
  • contingencyplan
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks guys!

They're not really "transition" programs. They're completely different programs with completely different goals. ChaLEAN Extreme is very much a weight loss program that's only a small step closer to orthodox lifting programs from Jillian workouts. Body Beast is a true bodybuilding-style split that's focused on muscle gain/mass gain. The program was designed under the assumption you're eating at a surplus which increases your recovery speed. If you aren't eating at a surplus you may have to modify the schedule to add in more rest days because you may not recover from workouts quickly enough to keep up with the schedule.

What kind of equipment do you have in your home gym?
  • dbmata
    Options
    you mean recovery speed yes?