Tips on cutting Sodium?

Options
2»

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your diary for the past week, there is quite a bit of pre-packaged foods such as canned soups, chips, soda ect. As well as ham.

Those things a loaded with sodium.

One thing that can cut out sodium is making more foods from scratch and eating more whole foods.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I just went back and added sodium to the tracker online.. Holy lunch meat and processed cheese! Talk about a wake up call!!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just went back and added sodium to the tracker online.. Holy lunch meat and processed cheese! Talk about a wake up call!!

Yea tell me about it lol. I used to think I was being healthy when I went to the deli and got some ham / turkey for lunch. Little did I know how much sodium was in that meat lol. Another sad wake up call for me was shellfish. Shrimp and crab meat are loaded with sodium. =/
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary for the last few days. Holy sodium Batman!!!

Stay away from the deli meats and cheeses. And start swapping out your regular english muffins for whole grains. Don't do packaged seasonings - make your own. There are low-sodium black beans out there for extra protein and fiber - get those instead. Make your own salsa's.

Biggest loser nachos - frickin AMAZING and low sodium. Start watching EVERYTHING!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Cut out the processed foods! That's the best way to cut down on your sodium. Eat more clean food. Fruits and veggies. Lean meats.

I second this! Any processed food is usually loaded with sodium. If you like frozen meals, make your own meals on a day off and pop it in the freezer to heat up in the microwave. Batch cooking is a great way to avoid processed meals so you don't have tons of prep each night.

Since I stopped eating so much processed food on most days (especially for main meals) it has really helped cut out the sodium and keep me in my recommended amount.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everything others have said. I would be careful of sea salt-every grocery item that says it has sea salt has just as much sodium it seems to me. I look at the sodium amount on the label before I look at the calories. Salad dressings have tons of sodium in just a tablespoon or two. Miracle Whip, which I love, has way too much sodium for me to use it on a regular basis. I use a tiny bit in the salad dressing I make.

You can find low sodium recipes for lots of food if you Google or search this site there are a lot of recipes here.

Remember, the guideline is that your MAXIMUM allowable sodium for the day is about 2400. I find that I feel much better when I stay way under that. I went over this weekend and can really tell in how I feel and in how my waistband fits. Gotta lose that water!
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Fresh fruits, veggies. If you like what's in the processed foods, recreate them from home. They'll taste better and much better for you!
  • rainunrefined
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • EmelyJ
    EmelyJ Posts: 208
    Options
    I heard you can water your sodium away. Drink a lot of water.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you like deli meat and cheese, look for Boar's Head brand. It's significantly more expensive, but it's better quality and has options that are naturally low in sodium.

http://www.boarshead.com/lowersodium/

I love their rare oven-roasted beef and their lacy swiss cheese. I can have two ounces of the cheese for 180 calories and only 70 mg of sodium and 4 ounces of the roast beef for 120 calories and 120 mg of sodium. I usually use it in a big chef salad, loaded with other veggies. It's really good!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    There is no Magic to it, just: KNOW what you are eating! Go where you grocery shop most and find their "low/no sodium items" in cans, frozen, deli, meat products; learn Fresh Products sodium amounts and KEEP Measuring Spoons near the Salt. Give up/Reduce Intake: MOST Deli and Charcuterie Items.
  • rainunrefined
    Options
    If you like deli meat and cheese, look for Boar's Head brand. It's significantly more expensive, but it's better quality and has options that are naturally low in sodium.

http://www.boarshead.com/lowersodium/

I love their rare oven-roasted beef and their lacy swiss cheese. I can have two ounces of the cheese for 180 calories and only 70 mg of sodium and 4 ounces of the roast beef for 120 calories and 120 mg of sodium. I usually use it in a big chef salad, loaded with other veggies. It's really good!

AWESOME! TY! I'm a Deli Turkey junkie.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I have never really paid attention to sodium... ever. I don't salt my food often, but according to my diary I obviously eat foods that blow past the recommended 2500mg.

Do you have any tips or tricks to cut out extra sodium? Any food swaps? Any advice is appreciated!

You can check out my food diary if you need to...
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    When I bought lean cuisines etc. I also calculated it into my sodium so I planned around that so I wouldn't be over on my sodium.
  • RJaxon00
    RJaxon00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I heard you can water your sodium away. Drink a lot of water.

+1

Don't forget the potassium-sodium relationship, though. I'm new to this nutrition stuff so I'm sure someone else can chime in on the specifics.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

That's how we learn.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    bump