Gift for a personal trainer??

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    LianaG1115 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Personally I've gotten gift cards to restaurants in the area. It's always cool to check out restaurants that I may have never been to.
    All the "sports" stuff is stuff I probably already have or even better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you!! Coming from a personal trainer, I take it you've gotten gifts then. I thought of a stopwatch but he doesn't use one. Thought of money, its kinda ok but I don't know how much to give, and then we talked about gift cards...so my hubby said to put it here and see what others think.
    Understand that you don't have to give them a gift. I have many clients that don't. Lol, the ones that usually do are the ones that "dump" their thoughts and issues on me and I'm just there to listen!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    this is going to make me sound cheap, but feel like there is something pretentious about giving gifts to every shmoe who happens to cross your path during the season.
    Agreed, and that's actually how I feel about wait staff, tattoo artists, hair stylists...

If they wanted an extra vig, just bake it into the service price eh?

I would guess you have never been "wait staff" or a hair stylist. They do not usually control the price. Eh?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    this is going to make me sound cheap, but feel like there is something pretentious about giving gifts to every shmoe who happens to cross your path during the season.
    Agreed, and that's actually how I feel about wait staff, tattoo artists, hair stylists...

I would guess you have never been "wait staff" or a hair stylist. They do not usually control the price. Eh?

My first career was as a cook. So yeah, I've never been wait staff. I've been on the untipped side of the house.

I tip, tip well, but I still think it should just be added to the meal price. Just like it should be part of my haircut price. If you step out of the chain cutteries, yeah, stylists set their rates. At least the stylists I've gone to in 5 different states. *shrug*
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    My question is based behind the question:
    If I'm paying their hourly fee, why tip them extra? Why not just have them charge a higher hourly fee?
    [/quote]

My trainer fees are paid to the gym, who skims off the top of that cost he then gets a fee for each person he trains, there isn't an hourly rate. So if he has a day where he has only 10 people he makes a specific amount of money, if he is scheduled for 30 people one day and only 15 show, he only gets paid for those 15 people. Being a freelance self employed person myself, its a discussion we have had because if a person doesn't show in my profession, they still get billed whereas my trainer does not. SO to answer this, I am not really paying his hourly fee, I'm paying for a service to my gym that he provides to me.

• go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My general rule is to tip in the amount of one session. My sessions are $42 so I just get a nice crisp 50 and put it in a card. Other clients give him gift certifs to his fave restaurants or bottles of booze.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

The news today was talking about Portland ME raising the minimum wage.
    Waitresses and other services similar would have a base pay of around 5$...
    I made more than that at my first job at an arcade 10 years ago at
    I also remember when I worked at Sears, those on commission had a lower base pay which is probably fine during Christmas when everyone is buying snowblowers or June for lawnmowers but sucks in say March.
  • dbmata
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

I also remember when I worked at Sears, those on commission had a lower base pay which is probably fine during Christmas when everyone is buying snowblowers or June for lawnmowers but sucks in say March.
    Yeah see, that's the thing, we're doing it wrong. Those are positions that are important to have talented individuals in. Pay them well, retain them, and done.

$42k, no tipping. Done.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Yeah see, that's the thing, we're doing it wrong. Those are positions that are important to have talented individuals in. Pay them well, retain them, and done.

$42k, no tipping. Done.

since that will NEVER happen....tip the service people when you feel they gave you good service. Done.
  • dbmata
    Options

$42k, no tipping. Done.

since that will NEVER happen....tip the service people when you feel they gave you good service. Done.

lol. I wish. There's a lot of bad service out there.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

$42k, no tipping. Done.

lol. I wish. There's a lot of bad service out there.

true. I once cooked at a steak house and we had a large wait staff. Many people think it is an easy job and we went through a lot of wanna be waiters/waitresses. The base pay was nothing really and the tips make or break the newbies quickly. A really good waiter/waitress can make the whole restaurant experience as good or bad as the steak. You arent doing anyone a favor by tipping a careless or care less wait person and you are cheap or ignorant if you do not "reward" the great waiter/waitress with a reasonable tip. And it is OK to have the waitress pass on a tip for the cook.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Interesting you mention that. The only place I ever cooked where wait staff reliably passed tips on or tipped out back of the house was a steakhouse. We had a maitre'd that was quite militant, you tip the cooks, or you don't come back, ever.

We *liked* him. A lot. lol.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    How has no one gifed the "gee let me think" scene from ace Ventura?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    yep...not many people even think about tipping the cook but it sure made my day when it happened
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about just picking up a gift card to one of the restaurants that I know he likes to go to.

As for the masseuse, I plan on just giving a larger tip than normal. Last year I tipped him an amount equal to the massage on the appointment that was closest to Christmas.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I did cash last year and again this year for my trainer Yes, I pay for sessions but he goes above and beyond for me. I also included a small silly gift because I know how much hunting means to him. Gift card are also nice. I have found that for teachers and others that work long hours I have given cookies and muffins. A teacher told me when mine were little how much that meant because she didn't have time to bake. For services it use to be common practice to give even to postal service. Well since I don't know mine at all or if it is male or female even where as my mom knew his name not happening. Gifts though to those I feel close to and have gone beyond .
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A gag - the quietening kind.

Just a joke - no need to go feral.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As the husband of a former teacher .. I beg you .. please please please do NOT get your childrens' teachers gifts. I can't tell you how many teacher themed Mugs, paperweights, baskets, plaques, and other assorted tchotchkes we have around the house. If you HAVE to do something for the kids' teachers .. VERY small food gifts work (like 2 home made cookies in some shiny cellophane with a bow. Anything more than that is an unwanted burden.

So no Target gift cards? We usually do that for the teachers with the idea that they can either chose something personal for themselves or use to get supplies for the classroom if they prefer.

Chiming in on the original discussion: I have no problem giving small gifts to people I already pay for service if I feel that they are going the extra mile or have a special connection with them. Coffee shop gift cards for around $10 are, in my opinion, one nice way to show appreciation without being too personal - and if they won't use it they're easy to re-gift.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I gave my group fitness instructor a sea salt grinder. She was pretty happy about it :)

I also printed out a good crockpot recipe because I know it's tough for her to feed her family after the 5:30 class
  • dbmata
    Options
    wait, wait, it's a trainer. Optimum Nutrition whey, in chocolate. Whatever size you feel is appropriate.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I got the team at our fitness studio a fruit and organic chocolate hamper as a thank you for getting me fit for my wedding, it went down really well. So maybe something similar? Fresh or dried fruit basket?