Opinion on "set points", "big boned" and body size

Options
Hi!

I'm a 20 year old girl who (since I was 17) have lost about 34 lbs. In the process, I have run a half-marathon, experimented with lifting heavy, and adopted a vegan diet (going on a year and a half!) I feel better than I ever have, and generally view myself as a very healthy person.

However, I am still hovering in the "heavier" end of the BMI chart (even though I know it is irrelevant sometimes). I am 5'5 and 140 lbs, with a pretty muscular build. I would like to lose 10-15 lbs to be at an ideal weight for my life. I'm having such a hard time getting there though!

I have started tracking my eating and have eliminated snacking (just for two weeks so far) and I have dropped 5 stubborn pounds (145 to 140). However, I am confused about what to do now.

What is your opinion on my ability to reach 125-130 lbs? Is it achievable for everyone with accurate calorie counting and hard work? Or are some of us just doomed to be slightly heavier than others?

Thank you :)

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be that number on the scale?

I just posted this in another thread, but I think it fits in here as well:

b82e086cef52a28b0a3fa5c514e95487.jpg

oh and:
    141020ef2f6a40e0ccaed9f5ce5ad393.jpg
    ***This isn't me. I just stumbled across it after searching " throw out the scale ". ***
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You can reach any weight you want to (within reason) with enough knowledge, discipline, and time.

How difficult it is for you to get there, and how easy it is to maintain is highly dependent on genetics.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you are muscular you will naturally weigh more than someone who is not. Same as having a large skeletal frame over someone with a small one.

Do you like the way you look? You sound like you do. Do you want to change your body composition or the way your muscles look ...

If so what difference does the number on the scale make?

I suppose I'm wondering if you are talking about dropping body fat% or just the number you weigh
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Depends. What is your body fat percentage?

I have a large frame. I'll always be on the high end of "healthy".
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I totally agree with Chief_Rocka. I am 5'6. I originally wanted to get to 135, but when I got there, I wanted to continue. It has taken a long time, but I finally made it to 120 (and not with that much discipline. lol). I dont mind getting down to 115 without trying. I like being slender. But I am very muscular (ignore those silly pics about fat and muscle; I call bs on the muscular weighing more). I don't believe in big-boned, etc.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree why does it have to be a number on the scale? I am 5'5 also and my goal is to weigh 145. I have played sports my entire life though and always weigh more than anyone thinks. To me it's more about knowing what my number should be not what a cookie cutter "range" says it should be. Just something to think about. :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    torytrom wrote: »
    What is your opinion on my ability to reach 125-130 lbs? Is it achievable for everyone with accurate calorie counting and hard work? Or are some of us just doomed to be slightly heavier than others?

I do think we naturally come in different shapes and sizes, so it takes some patience and self-compassion to figure out what size and shape is right for you. If your goal is unrealistic for you then you will either be continually dissatisfied or you will need to take drastic measures that can really impair the quality of your life. Is that worth it to you? Think about the impact over the course of your life? Do you want to be the grandma some day who still worries she is 10 lbs over some arbitrary ideal?

Keep eating healthfully and investing in physical activity that you love. You may stay about the same size you are now or you may go down a bit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

141020ef2f6a40e0ccaed9f5ce5ad393.jpg

I may never look at my butt the same again!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Why do you want to be 125-130? Is it because you just want to be in the middle to lower end of the BMI range?

If so, I think you should keep in mind that the normal BMI range is basically a range of weight where, all else equal, an average person would be assumed to not have an excessive body fat percentage. If you know you have a muscular build, I see no reason to worry about being in the higher part of what is the normal range. You are what the higher ranges would be for. Indeed, even people who measure "overweight" could be fine if you look at BF%, and plenty of others may have lower BMIs but higher BF%. So if I were you I'd ignore the scale weight other than to compare yourself with yourself, and keep doing what you are doing with respect to pursuing fitness.
  • torytrom
    torytrom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful replies, everyone :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I agree, focus on body fat % instead of the number on the scale. It makes for a much happier life.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I am 5'6.

I finally made it to 120

I am very muscular

Umm... Something isn't quite right here.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Chief_Rocka. I am 5'6. I originally wanted to get to 135, but when I got there, I wanted to continue. It has taken a long time, but I finally made it to 120 (and not with that much discipline. lol). I dont mind getting down to 115 without trying. I like being slender. But I am very muscular (ignore those silly pics about fat and muscle; I call bs on the muscular weighing more). I don't believe in big-boned, etc.

Congrats on your loss, but muscle is denser than fat, that's simply a fact. Someone with the exact same weight but lower body fat % will be thinner. You probably just can see the muscles you always had now whereas before they had more fat on top which masked them.
  • deksgrl
    Options

business-cat-meme-generator-yo-srsly-d5d818.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There is such thing as big boned, as we all have different body frames. I have a medium/large frame (my waist is never going smaller than 28 inches, I think), so I don't think I could really go down to 120 pounds though (I'm 5'5") without looking way too skinny... while some women my height rock the 115 pounds look.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Seriously. A lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat. They both weigh a lb. Sick of that crap answer about muscle weighing more than fat. At 120, I am ripped almost everywhere (still working on 1 trouble area). Why do I have to weigh more because I'm muscular?
  • deksgrl
    Options

Seriously. A lb of muscle weighs the same as a lb of fat. They both weigh a lb. Sick of that crap answer about muscle weighing more than fat. At 120, I am ripped almost everywhere (still working on 1 trouble area). Why do I have to weigh more because I'm muscular?

Muscle is more dense than fat, therefore, that same pound of muscle is going to be a lot smaller in size.

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options

The same volume of muscle weighs more than fat. Like the way a styrofoam cup weighs less than a glass cup that is exactly the same size. Be sick of it all you want but it's the nature of things.

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

First of all, you're misconceiving the misconception. Muscle is more dense than fat (a misconception of muscle weighing more than fat), which is true so I don't see how that is a "crap answer"

Second, you're seeing yourself more "ripped" because your you lost fat and your muscles became more visible. You didn't GAIN more muscle going from 135 to 120.0

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

A pound of feathers weigh the same as a pound of lead. Would you say that feathers weigh the same as lead?

And FYI, just because you are ripped does not mean that you are muscular. It means that you are lean.