What are you having to eat for christmas?

Options

Replies

• amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my mum's for Christmas Day so it'll likely be Quorn roast, sprouts, parsnips, roast potatoes, carrots and probably another veg, as well as cranberry sauce and gravy. I am making a sticky ginger cake with ginger whipped cream for their Christmas cake and there will also be Christmas pudding and brandy butter. I am also making an assortment of biscuits (snickerdoodle cookies, shortbread with a marzipan centre, orange and cranberry cookies topped with white chocolate) and I am gifting my mum and stepdad with a new cheese board and cheese selection so they may also make an appearance.

I am feeling stuffed just thinking about it! My mum is quite good though, asking what we want, so I will probably pass on the potatoes or have one small one and load up on veg. I'm not counting on Christmas Day anyway but I'll hopefully stay a little bit mindful ;) if not then oh well, it's only one day!

I'm thinking I'll probably have eggs or something for breakfast that'll be filling, my son will likely have me up early and I want to avoid snacking before Christmas dinner which will be around 1:30pm. I remember we used to have Christmas dinner around 3/3:30pm but my mum does it a bit earlier so my son can eat with us too :)
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am not as big on the Christmas dinner because it's basically a repeat of our Thanksgiving dinner except there's usually a ham in addition to the turkey.

Christmas breakfast is a different story. My dad makes egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, bacon, hash browns, and toast. It's one of my favorite meals of the year, as simple as it may sound. But breakfast food is my favorite.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve will depend on what my husband & daughter decide--last year they made mushroom ravioli!! (2 kinds--daughter needed gluten free). Christmas day is at my mom's--she's making roast pork, with mashed sweet & white potatoes, applesauce, stuffed mushrooms & sugar snap peas. Also starting with an antipasto platter (salami, homemade roasted peppers, green & black olives, marinated mushrooms & artichoke hearts) AND
    fried rice balls. That will be my big splurge for the day--they are sooooo good.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Appetizers:
    Shrimp
    Pigs-in-a-blanket
    Veggie platter

Main course:
    Turkey
    Ham
    Swedish meatballs
    Lasagna or stuffed shells
    Mashed potatoes
    Carrots & turnips
    Green beans
    Corn
    Rolls

Desserts:
    Gingerbread cookies
    Sugar cookies
    Chocolate chip cookies
    Oatmeal butterscotch cookies
    Chocolate cream pie
    Apple pie
    Fruit platter
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    imju5tme wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Christmas Eve:
    Kimchee fried rice
    Bulgogi
    Honey soy salmon
    Steamed dumplings
    Veggie pancakes
    Egg nog
    Cherry cordials
    Christmas cookies
    Wine

O.o Oh... my... May I come over for Christmas Eve, pretty please? I'll bring Japchae and Kimbap!!!

Of course!!

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Starter: "Cream" (almond milk) of Tomato soup and wholemeal bread.
    Main course: Nut loaf, steamed Savoy cabbage, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips and roast beetroot.
    Vegan stuffing, Sosmix and a vegetable gravy.
    Sweet: Summer fruit pudding and vegan custard.

• zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Roast turkey and ham, roast potatoes, various roasted vegetables and gravy. Dessert is strawberry pavlova and also a Christmas pudding.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Same exact meal as Thanksgiving. Turkey roasted with New Orleans spices- on the outside grill, mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, sweet potato casserole with praline topping/marshmallows, green bean casserole with crispy onions on top, pumpkin pies always two of them, sweet peas, homemade stuffing, cranberries and snow flake rolls. Usually at Christmas I make my snowflake cookies too..
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ham, some sort of potatoes, another vegetable, Christmas dessert (best thing ever!), and possibly some pumpkin pie since my brother wasn't here for Thanksgiving.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Just the two of us so we are looking forward to cooking a REALLY fine, bone-in roast beef -- medium rare all the way through -- won't even look at the per pound price. Mashed potatoes, green beans, and a good mushroom gravy to round it all out -- the which reminds me, as we get closer to the day I should call Earth Fare and find out how their supply is so we don't find outselves SOL at the last minute.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I think I'll make baked fish (maybe salmon), roasted potatoes, several veggies (green beans, red cabbage, squash, some type of soup (we always start with soup), a salad and for dessert pumpkin pie, pecan pie, but I'll also make myself some baked apples so maybe I can avoid having any pies.

Thanksgiving dinner went well, I started logging the Monday before, on TG day I ate 2000 calories and lost 3 lbs that week (the other day I stayed under 1400). So this will work out great :)

For Christmas day we'll make deviled eggs for sure, but I don't know yet what else.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    dnamouse wrote: »
    We do Christmas a little differently here - it's the middle of Summer :smile:

Lunch is generally cold cut meats (ham, turkey, chicken, sometimes prawns) + salad and something cold for dessert, generally a pavlova & ice cream. It's often too hot to eat too much.

Dinner is a bbq (Aussie bbq are different to American bbq - normally just meat cooked on the hot plate, could be steak, sausages, chicken, fish, whatever we fancy), salads and again a cold dessert.

Beer, cider and other cold drinks flow freely throughout the day :wink:

I want to celebrate Christmas in Australia now. That sounds like my kind of Christmas!
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    dnamouse wrote: »
    We do Christmas a little differently here - it's the middle of Summer :smile:

Yeah, I'm in Australia too - but we'll still be having a full on Christmas roast dinner. (Although I'm not keen on turkey so we'll mostly be having a baked ham with a bit of turkey for those who do like it)

Plus, it's my middle son's birthday on Christmas Eve and he ALWAYS wants bangers, mash and onion gravy served in a giant Yorkshire pudding.

Bleeding poms and their Northern Hemisphere traditions! :smiley:

Fortunately, I'm allowed out of the kitchen on Boxing Day and it'll be a cold buffet - whoo hoo.

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I tend to make a running buffet.
    Chicken
    Pork (slow cooked until it pulls)
    Steak (if anybody wants it)

Vegetables
    Yorkshire Puddings
    Stuffing
    Onion Gravy or Dripped Gravy

Desert
    Usually a selection of different deserts.

Xmas day is go big or go home. I will simply be logging an auto add kcal for that day of 2700(normal target)+1500 (probable special cheat)
  • cristina4970
    cristina4970 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve
    Baked Codfish with Smashed Roasted Red Potatoes, Sliced Boiled Eggs, Onions, Garlic and Olive Oil
    Collard Greens
    Boiled Octopus w/ and Olive Oil, Vinegar red onion and parsley green sauce

Christmas day
    Not sure yet... Probably a roast with veggies and rice

Desserts
    Carrot & Pumpkin fritters w/ cinnamon sugar
    Cheesecake
    Pear Tart
    Espresso
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    we are doing italian this year….chicken parm, lasagna, bread, etc ..christmas eve is going to be ruth cris
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Here in CA, it's common to do tamales for Christmas. I order them from the best Mexican bakery in Santa Cruz, they make them way better than I ever could. Spicy and mild chicken, pork, and cheese/jalepeno. They're so tasty, filling & cheap. I love this tradition!
  • monsterbeans
    monsterbeans Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Christmas Day my fella and I have agreed not to log. We're just going to enjoy the day with our families. That said, me and my Dad (the family cooks) have worked hard to create a menu that suits our varied needs as a family - we've tried to make it a day where its not just rubbish, empty calories. We're going to have plenty of vegetables and legumes :)

We will be having
    Roasted herby and spiced vegetables (squash, beetroot, carrots, parsnips, celeriac) on a bed of polenta, with a wild mushroom sauce and mustard creme fraiche
    Mini bean and seitan parmigianas topped with a chunky vegetable and lentil sauce and mozzarella cheese
    Home made eggless sticky toffee pudding
    Home made apple and cinnamon crumble (both served with locally made ice cream)

In the evening:
    Crackers, local cheese etc
    Hummus, baba ghanoush and crudites
    Veggie sausage rolls
    Vegetarian haggis
    Salad with some sort of dressing (probably some sort of balsamic glaze)
    Leftover dessert from lunch.

The biggest thing will be the booze though!
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My Grandparents were Polish and we uphold a lot of Polish traditions in my family but I also now combine these with trad British food, so over Christmas Eve, Day and the days that follow I'll be making and eating:

Pierogi (lots of!)
    Roast potatoes
    Carrots in orange
    Roast chicken
    Salmon
    Barszcz
    Sernik (Polish cheesecake)
    Prawns
    Sprouts
    Pineapple Crush dessert (random but I like to make it!)

Lots of prosecco, champers and other bubbles!
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm loving reading about everyone's Christmas traditions! We'll be having mushroom Wellington, cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds and loads of veggies and gravy. Then in the evening probably a baked Camembert with french bread and caramelised red onions, yum! It's our first married Christmas together so it's an extra special one for us :)

Edited for typos!