What food have you never eaten?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Octopus, Squid, Manta Ray... Dirt?

There's quite a lot, I'll give a few 'interesting' foods a go some time.

Does volcanic ash count?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Octopus, Squid, Manta Ray... Dirt?

There's quite a lot, I'll give a few 'interesting' foods a go some time.

Does volcanic ash count?

I guess, it's got ions and all that 'natural stuff'. I'll give it a go.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Deer, chitterlings, are my top two. Some of these things that you all have listed I have never even heard of.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian at 15yo (though switched to pescatarian when I was 28), so there are quite a few "normal" meats I've never eaten: most types of steak, veal, venison, rabbit, bison, pheasant, etc.

But I've eaten quite a few things (and actually eat them regularly, in fact) that others who have posted here have not: quinoa, seitan, tofu, sushi, scallops, etc. I also forage for wild edible mushrooms so I'm guessing a have some on my list that most people haven't heard of, let alone eaten. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    Never eaten? I will try anything listed as palatable, therefore never eaten includes:
    1. Never come across it
    2. It moved too fast to catch

And I did not have to Google for balut. My son watches the food channel, Bizarre Foods. He enjoys sharing that type of information.

Looking forward to trying haggis. It can't be "official" in the US because here you are not allowed to sell the parts used.

Haggis, neeps and tatties ....yum
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've never had a burger from any fast food restaurant (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.)

The only fast food hamburger that I've eaten, and it hasn't made me sick (vomitting kind of sick) is Wendy's.
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Snails
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    'K had to look up neeps and tatties. The recipe called for "one large swede, cut into chunks", which was kind of disturbing because I am a Swede. Why not substitute a Norwegian or a Finn?

Researched a little further and a "swede" is Brit for: "... yellow turnip, Swedish turnip and Russian turnip and, in America, rutabaga." Oh. OK. Potatoes and rutabagas. Rootmus - Swedish name - mashed roots. I grew up with that.

neeps
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Cow tongue. I have never had cow tongue.

It is very popular out here. A girl I used to work with went to her at-the-time fiances house and his mother plopped a huge cow tongue in front of her and slit it right open. She later admited she probably could have cut it before my friend arrived....I couldn't do it.

Lobster. It smells funny so I won't eat it.

Snails. I don't think I ever will.

I have had snake, squirrel, aligator, deer, and a wide variety of road kill before. Our old neighbores were very into making gumbo with random items they shot themselves. We later discovered they were meth heads. It explained a lot!
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Sardines.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband used to eat those nasty little cans of Vienna sausages. All I had to do was take one look inside of that can and I was like, "Oh, HELL, no."

I've never had most wild game (deer, etc.), but I'd be willing to try.

I did have marinated kangaroo meat once while I was visiting Australia. I actually really liked it - it tasted like VERY lean beef. Good stuff, but totally unavailable here.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Steak, fish of any kind, turkey, anything from Taco Bell, pork, and avocado *shudders*. I ate lobster and clam chowder for the first time in my life while on vacation in Maine last year and promptly found out I am deathly allergic to shellfish. Grumble grumble. Now I have to carry an Epipen with me because even being in the same room that it's being cooked in can give me a reaction.
  • SkFarmMom
    SkFarmMom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm game to try almost anything once (at least when it comes to food...) ;-) Of what's been available to try, I've never bothered to buy durian and I've never cooked up "prairie oysters" or brains. (However. ..if they were well prepared and offered to me I'd be game...blame MasterChef and the tasty looking deep-fried calf brain nuggets. Haha!)
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ohhh regret that I just googled balut..... :s Snails and oyster is on my "why"???-list. Have never eaten it. Looks so nasty :o
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    deer, rabbit, squirrel, etc.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I don't fit in this thread. I've tried just about everything in my life so far. :# Taste wise, raw celery is worst. Texture wise, live tiny fishes was horrible. Psychologically worst was those poor live fishes, frog skin and silkworm cocoons.

Well I guess a few I've never tried before from other cultures are caterpillars/various insects, rats, dogs, dolphins, whales... Of course, I've never had the opportunity to eat those either so... :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I quite like sardines and love snails. It's so strange how some foods seem fine and others not. I got eel when in Germany with a co-worker and my co-worker thought it was a weird thing to order. (He would not have considered snails weird, or oysters or sushi, it's so arbitrary.)

I don't deny I have food prejudices, though. I can't imagine eating dog or cat, and would likely balk at anything too cockroach like or rat or mouse. I also get squicked by the idea of roadkill and might at squirrel, although that one I think I could get over pretty easily.

Back when I was a kid my dad would occasionally decide we should have various organ meats and those are all fine with me, but I refused to eat more than a bite of (beef) tongue the one time my dad decided we should have that. I recall it being kind of unpleasant, but would probably be willing to try again.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    'K had to look up neeps and tatties. The recipe called for "one large swede, cut into chunks", which was kind of disturbing because I am a Swede. Why not substitute a Norwegian or a Finn?

Researched a little further and a "swede" is Brit for: "... yellow turnip, Swedish turnip and Russian turnip and, in America, rutabaga." Oh. OK. Potatoes and rutabagas. Rootmus - Swedish name - mashed roots. I grew up with that.

neeps

Arf :lol:
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options

I have had snake, squirrel, aligator, deer, and a wide variety of road kill before. Our old neighbores were very into making gumbo with random items they shot themselves. We later discovered they were meth heads. It explained a lot!

I love antidotes like this, thanks for sharing. :D
  • SkFarmMom
    SkFarmMom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

I love antidotes like this, thanks for sharing. :D
    Hehe! I think you mean "anecdotes" (stories)...though after eating meth-head-roadkill-gumbo, an antidote might be necessary too. :smiley: Sorry, not meaning to be the grammar police. ..just made me giggle. :smile: